Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 06:28   #1

Mould on board

We are new to sailing in the south. We have never experienced mould on our boats. After being on the hard for the last 8 months in Florida we returned to find the interior covered in mould. It's a wood interior. Any suggestions other than SELL !
Quigleydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:46   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Mould on board

I have never tried this myself on wood... but here was the suggestion I was given.

Mix 1qt (1 liter) of water and 1/2 cup of bleach. Use a soft bristle brush to gently loosen the mold. Then wipe clean with a rag.

Yup lots of work..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:47   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Welcome to CF.

A good cleaning will get rid of the mold. Make sure that you're fully covered up & wearing a mask when you're cleaning.
However, the mold will be an ongoing thing (to varying degrees) as long as you're in that sort of climate. But by spending time onboard, you'll have hatches & such open, & thus a breeze. The ventilation will make a big difference in terms of preventing further mold.

Also, do a search on here, as well as the internet in general on mold. To get educated on it, as well as wise tips for dealing with it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:53   #4

Cleaning it has been covered, I see. In the summer, we have to run a dehumidifier on our boat, to keep the mold and mildew from taking over.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:57   #5
cruiser

It happens to everyone. A 10:1 water to bleach solution will kill the mold. Make sure the area is well ventilated and wear gloves.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:07   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quick question.. As I posted above, I haven't used that solution on wood (only fiberglass). Would there be a concern about using a %10 bleach solution on finished wood surfaces? Could the bleach damage the finish?
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:33   #7

I have had good luck with white vinegar on wood and GRP. Doesn't retain the smell after it dries.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32   #8

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

Ive found that a pile of diesel rags under the setee and venting the holding tank into the bilge makes the mould smell almost welcome. Just a thot...
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 13:00   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Post Re: Mould on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Quick question.. As I posted above, I haven't used that solution on wood (only fiberglass). Would there be a concern about using a %10 bleach solution on finished wood surfaces? Could the bleach damage the finish?
To answer your query. Quite certainly, yes. That's why I left said suggestion out of my earlier post. Particularly, as with a lot of woods, Teak for example, it could also cause a marked color change if left on the wood for a length of time.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigleydee View Post
We are new to sailing in the south. We have never experienced mould on our boats. After being on the hard for the last 8 months in Florida we returned to find the interior covered in mould. It's a wood interior. Any suggestions other than SELL !

Thanks to all for your response to our query. We decided to try the vinegar and it seem to be working well.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quigleydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 19:08   #11

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigleydee View Post
Thanks to all for your response to our query. We decided to try the vinegar and it seem to be working well.
Now your task is to stop the mould returning.

That's surprisingly easy and inexpensive, regardless of whether your internal timberwork is varnished, painted, or oiled.

When next oiling, varnishing, or painting your timber, add a few drops of the commercially available additives containing 2-n-octyl-isothiazoline-3-one and 2,2,4-trimethylpentane-1,3-diol.

These chemicals are not innocuous by themselves, but their risk to your health is (1) balanced by the risk to your health of inhaling mould spores; and (2) can be minimised by the use of gloves and similar protective gear when applying them - once your oil, varnish, or paint is absorbed or cured, the additives are locked inside the timber or the coating and would only present a hazard to you if you inhale or consume the timber or its coatings.

And the result is: no more mould!

In Australia, the easy (but not the only commercial product of its kind) is VC175 Mould Killer produced by Flood. Flood VC175 is exported to a few economies. And similar products are available in other economies.

See:
The Flood Company Australia » Anti-Mould Products » VC175
http://www.bunnings.com.au/flood-50m...tive-_p1562205
http://www.floodaustralia.net/brochu...5-brochure.pdf
Mould Stop VC175
http://www.floodaustralia.net/safety...MSDS_VC175.pdf

Al
Old 09-01-2015, 19:31   #12

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

We also used a vinegar mixture. It takes time to wipe EVERY surface inside the boat. Now when we leave the boat for more than a few days we put a container of vinegar (like a sour cream or cottage cheese container) in each cabin or area. I'm told that as it evaporates it makes the atmosphere acidic enough so that mold won't grow. After 4 years of leaving the boat for a month or so at a time several times a year it seems to work. YMMV.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 22:50   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Use the search feature on the forum. There have been a few threads on the topic...sometimes heated and opinionated...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 14:56   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Mold will not be killed by bleach. Surface mold yes, but mold diggs roots into the substrate. If you kill the mold on the surface but not roots you are only slowing the process.

We use Sporicidin first then treat with concrobium.

http://www.spore-tech.com/viewCatego...?idCategory=78

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote