Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2008, 19:36   #1
Ora

Please Help! Can you identify this sailboat?

Okay, so a friend sent me the link to this model of a sailboat and is trying to tell me the starboard side is opposite to what I believe it to be. (more below pic)In my eyes the bow of this boat is facing to the right and the stern to the left. Can anyone help me identify this boat (name, era, explanation of the riggin, etc.) and help me to explain to him (if I'm right, of course) the parts of this boat? I have limited experience with sailing, but I'm pretty sure I'm right (the stern is clearly on the left). I'm really an amateur when it comes to this and I'd really love for him to hear it from someone with far more knowledge than I.
Here is his explanation (crude as it may be):

"Now that you have a clear picture of the boat model do you still believe that the boat is the wrong way around? Notice the sail is on the left of the image and mast, placing it infront of the mast. The stabilising ropes come from aft of the mast (right side of image) to counter exertion place upon the mast by the drag of the sail. These 2 ropes must be aft of the mast (right side) therefore placing the bow on the left side of the image. Further more, to enable the sails to collect a dragging force (wind) ropes are secured to the corners of the mail sail sheet etc and secured behind such sail. These ropes are secured on the vessel on the right of the image which makes the right side the aft, the steering deck at the aft of the vessel. This quarter deck is also the deck that they (2 crew members) steer from. I wasn't sure about the rigging around the main head sheave and how the main jib was hoisted and lowered so i'll take a hammering there. That makes their starboard keel accurate. Stupid and accurate. Let me know if you agree after studying the clearer image."
Thank you in advance!
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 19:55   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
He is correct. The steering oars are in the rear (right) and the boat has a canoe stern. The forward cuts the water and has a large keel wood like the old Greek war ships.
Old 17-10-2008, 20:08   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Starboard=Steerboard
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 20:10   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Oh yeah!

The pictures. The sail is surely facing the forward end.

Google Image Result for http://www.acrossthepond.net/newJesusboat.jpg
Old 17-10-2008, 21:47   #5
Ora

Thank you all so very much for your timely replies! I've let my friend know he's right and I'm wrong... hanging my head for not looking a bit closer at the placement of the sail, rather paid more attention to the hull of the boat. Anyhow, I'm learning and will learn even more by perusing these forums! Again, thank you all!
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 04:19   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
So the "axe bow" or "revears bow" that we see on some of the new mega yacht designs is definitly not new.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 07:09   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
James,

What's new is really old....LOLOLOLOL
Attached Images

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 07:41   #8

Boat: Fastback 43
hydrodynamics

Hi Ora,

Speaking hydrodynamically, the hull would do better travelling with the rounded end forward, but that understanding is relatively recent.
bix85 is offline   Reply With Quote