Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 15:03   #1

Boat: Morgan 27
Protecting the Dink

We just bought our first inflatable, the problem is we dont have davits and unless we deflate it there is no way to get it on deck. What are some of the ways you have secured it so it's not stollen both at anchor amd while at shore. Thanks Paul M
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 15:27   #2

Re: protecting the dink

The normal way in Mexico is to haul it up at night on the main halyard. Put a stout line from the bow, and another from the stern. The stern might need to be attached to the farther ends (port/starboard) of the transom with thru bolts.

Adjust the lengths of line correctly until it hauls relatively flat, then crank it up until it's well out of the water. I have a tub kit on my walker bay and I basically get the tube to sit on my gunwale. The painter goes forward to the sampson post, and another line holds the stern to the gunwale. It's pretty solid.

For anchoring it's handy because if you need to move in the middle of the night you don't have to worry about a dinghy floating around. It's also nice because it keeps letting the bottom dry so you don't get any growth.

As to the security I never have understood why it's so much more secure, but it seems that slinking up to a dinghy in the water and slice it away is a much quieter and smoother process than releasing three tension lines that are supporting 100-400 lbs of dinghy hanging 4' in the air.

Padlock the dinghy to the transom as well; that's a basic step. I take the starter switch with me in my backpack as well.

I know a guy who's rather nice cable lock was sliced and dinghy stolen, and chaining it to the boat is a bit of a zoo because the chain makes a mess and doesn't really let the dinghy move around.

Just my experiences.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 15:28   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have a long vinyl covered cable with loops on the end I can use to lock the dink. I run it from the outboard through the handle of the fuel tank and through the bow eye. It then has another 10 feet or so that I can use to lock to something on the dock if I need to, or on the boat. That is all I use in most Florida anchorages. I have heard of dinghies stolen from behind boats in Florida even when locked, but mine is not one of the better or bigger ones around, and I figure they will go for the easy target that is worth the most. In the Caribbean, I rigged up a lifting bridle from low-stretch line that ties to the transom and the side rings at the bow. You have to experiment a bit to get the bridle arranged so the load is properly distributed to keep the boat level. I hook it to a haliard and haul it up to deck level at night alongside. I also run the cable lock to something sturdy on deck. Even if they try to steal it I imagine I would hear the noise.

A cable, chain, and locks won't stop or even slow up the professional thief, but it will usually eliminate the casual thief, which is about all you can hope for.
Old 08-05-2013, 15:33   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Another thing is to paint you motor with some distinctive color so it looks like crap and it is impossible to tell at a glance what it is. Thieves don't want to motor away with a dinghy that is very distinctive looking and is harder to resell.
Old 08-05-2013, 15:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Another thing is to paint you motor with some distinctive color so it looks like crap and it is impossible to tell at a glance what it is. Thieves don't want to motor away with a dinghy that is very distinctive looking and is harder to resell.
I did that exact thing. My brand new Honda is painted neon green and it's nice and oxidized now. This morning I was at the La Paz bulletin board area and there was a notice from a guy who spray painted his and make it look like crap. It was stolen and that was that.

From what I've been able to gather it's some guys paddling out to yachts they see anchored. If there's something easy to snag, they'll snag it. Fishing poles left in holders, tools left on deck, generators left on the transom steps, dinghies with outboards secured with some line. In the black of night by the time they get to your boat they're just going to take what they can.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 15:39   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Depends on how big the dink is - for 9' of Avon (non-RIB!) a piece of PVC pipe on a lifeline acts as a roller sufficient to man handle on deck. Albeit a solid stainless steel tube instead of the top lifeline IMO works best / easiest.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 15:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Depends on how big the dink is - for 9' of Avon (non-RIB!) a piece of PVC pipe on a lifeline acts as a roller sufficient to man handle on deck. Albeit a solid stainless steel tube instead of the top lifeline IMO works best / easiest.
Well... Bang Head... My WIFE who I love wanted a nice dink for the kids to go tubing. So we got a brand new 12'10 aluminum v hull with a 75" beam. Now that I think, its a small boat.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:06   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

13 foot of dink with a 27' boat - I guess you could make the kids stand anchor watch . or the wife .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
13 foot of dink with a 27' boat - I guess you could make the kids stand anchor watch . or the wife .
Ya Banging head... I will say in her defense. we are actively looking to buy a 35 to 45 sailboat out right. just haven't found what we want yet.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:23   #10

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

how about this for an idea, use some electronics that detects when the dink attaching wire is broken, and sets off alarm/lights? Personally I am thinking of having an elaborate intruder detection, with pressure sensitive matts and motion detectors, ear piercing alarms and cameras. Warnings get progressively more irritating/alarming (never dangerous).
If you can light them up and get some pictures, the police have a fighting chance.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:25   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

The fishing guy's in Mexico use an old beer stained tee shirt over the engine to protect it but I get a sexy old tee shirt from my wife for ours.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 18:33   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We use the spinnaker halyard to hoist ours at anchor, plug out (so it drains if it's going to rain) secured forward so the weight of it is mostly just forward of the cap shroud. The other thing we do is chain it up at the stern of the boat, and leave it back there... Anyone trying to mess with it would wake us up RIGHT AWAY. Ashore, we chain it through the bracket on the front of the engine, to something secure ashore. The bitter end of the chain is locked to an aluminum eye welded into the bottom of the boat.

A.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The normal way in Mexico is to haul it up at night on the main halyard. Put a stout line from the bow, and another from the stern. The stern might need to be attached to the farther ends (port/starboard) of the transom with thru bolts.

Adjust the lengths of line correctly until it hauls relatively flat, then crank it up until it's well out of the water. I have a tub kit on my walker bay and I basically get the tube to sit on my gunwale. The painter goes forward to the sampson post, and another line holds the stern to the gunwale. It's pretty solid.

For anchoring it's handy because if you need to move in the middle of the night you don't have to worry about a dinghy floating around. It's also nice because it keeps letting the bottom dry so you don't get any growth.

As to the security I never have understood why it's so much more secure, but it seems that slinking up to a dinghy in the water and slice it away is a much quieter and smoother process than releasing three tension lines that are supporting 100-400 lbs of dinghy hanging 4' in the air.

Padlock the dinghy to the transom as well; that's a basic step. I take the starter switch with me in my backpack as well.

I know a guy who's rather nice cable lock was sliced and dinghy stolen, and chaining it to the boat is a bit of a zoo because the chain makes a mess and doesn't really let the dinghy move around.

Just my experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I have a long vinyl covered cable with loops on the end I can use to lock the dink. I run it from the outboard through the handle of the fuel tank and through the bow eye. It then has another 10 feet or so that I can use to lock to something on the dock if I need to, or on the boat. That is all I use in most Florida anchorages. I have heard of dinghies stolen from behind boats in Florida even when locked, but mine is not one of the better or bigger ones around, and I figure they will go for the easy target that is worth the most. In the Caribbean, I rigged up a lifting bridle from low-stretch line that ties to the transom and the side rings at the bow. You have to experiment a bit to get the bridle arranged so the load is properly distributed to keep the boat level. I hook it to a haliard and haul it up to deck level at night alongside. I also run the cable lock to something sturdy on deck. Even if they try to steal it I imagine I would hear the noise.

A cable, chain, and locks won't stop or even slow up the professional thief, but it will usually eliminate the casual thief, which is about all you can hope for.
Thanks, for the great ideas. I love the idea of making the motor top look old/junkie.... Cheers and fair winds. Thanks
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

After you're done camouflaging the motor cover, put some retro-reflective tape on it, front, and sides. Helps you to find it when it goes walkabout.

A
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
Ya Banging head... I will say in her defense. we are actively looking to buy a 35 to 45 sailboat out right. just haven't found what we want yet.
A good plan to buy the dink and then find a sailboat large enough to match it. Before we owned our first sailboat I owned a 20' RIB. One idea was to name it T/T TBA.