Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 04:51   #46

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Teak Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
yes, thank you. i found that yesterday. end grain balsa, whatever that means.
I am confused. Do you have foam or balsa? If its balsa, you really, really DO need to be extra careful about rot. The forces exerted by wind on those very important stringy bits holding up your rig are more powerful than you realize and a safety issue. Soft decks are not structurally sound and you absolutely want a structurally sound deck. I know its a PITA but losing your mast is an even bigger PITA.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05   #47
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
get the good butyl tape and learn to become one with the Zen of Boat Refurbishing.
glad you said that, can you point me to a source of good quality butyl tape?
i googled it, and came up with lowes.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10   #48

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Need Butyl Tape ?? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:12   #49

Teak deck screwed to a cored deck is so wrong in so many ways. Especially a balsa cored deck. Remove the teak with a crowbar. Cut away and replace all the wet core and redeck. It's a huge project because of the deck fittings. Use something like KiwiGrip. No teak.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:13   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Teak deck screwed to a cored deck is so wrong in so many ways. Especially a balsa cored deck. Remove the teak with a crowbar. Cut away and replace all the wet core and redeck. It's a huge project because of the deck fittings. Use something like KiwiGrip. No teak.
i have a foam core.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:17   #51

Boat: Custom 60' Cat

just to show it can be done... we tore all the teak up, sanded, faired and re-glassed the whole deck, looks a lot better, cooler, weighs less and doesn't leak!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait2035 View Post
just to show it can be done... we tore all the teak up, sanded, faired and re-glassed the whole deck, looks a lot better, cooler, weighs less and doesn't leak!
sorry, i love wood.
one of the reasons i went with the Tayana over many other boats. teak is so warm(in the sun, hot), inviting, and anti-slip. done correctly its beautiful.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:29   #53
cruiser

Old 08-06-2013, 05:31   #54

Boat: Custom 60' Cat

Quote:
sorry, i love wood.
one of the reasons i went with the Tayana over many other boats. teak is so warm(in the sun, hot), inviting, and anti-slip. done correctly its beautiful.
Fair enough! Good luck with the repair, I would recommend a good pair of knee pads, will make it easier!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait2035 View Post
Fair enough! Good luck with the repair, I would recommend a good pair of knee pads, will make it easier!
that is funny, before i bought the boat, i looked at the wife and said, guess i need knee pads, good ones.
lol
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44   #56

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Having dealt with teak decks repairs for years, here is what you will need to do to make proper repairs. Anything else is a waste of time IMO. Remove all of the teak decking. Cut out the surface fiberglass where you find water intrusion. Replace the core and re-glass the outer fiberglass. Inject all the rest of the screw holes with epoxy and fill the holes. It's best to not drill new holes again. Clean all bedding off the teak and decks. Trowel thickened epoxy on the decks and re-lay the teak using screws only as long as needed and large washers to hold the teak down until the epoxy dries. Remove the screws once everything sets and fill again with epoxy. Re-caulk all the teak. Now you have teak decks with no place to leak again and cause another major repair. This is labor intense but well worth the effort if you want to keep teak decks. Good luck. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: teak leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hmmm... dont know if the Tayanas are ply cored or balsa... but I would want to know why the water is leaking into the cabin... it should be filling up the core and not leaking into the boat...? Maybe someone drilled some holes to try to get the water out? I also know people who have just refused to recognize the roblem and just sailed their boat!
They are supposed to be balsa but we did the decks on a Tayana 37 and the core was all end cut teak blocks. We had to open up and re-glass the entire deck and the cockpit coaming, which was a mess. I don't know how the winches didn't just rip off that boat before we fixed it....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
They are supposed to be balsa but we did the decks on a Tayana 37 and the core was all end cut teak blocks. We had to open up and re-glass the entire deck and the cockpit coaming, which was a mess. I don't know how the winches didn't just rip off that boat before we fixed it....
the limited production tayana surprise 45 has foam cores.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Having dealt with teak decks repairs for years, here is what you will need to do to make proper repairs. Anything else is a waste of time IMO. Remove all of the teak decking. Cut out the surface fiberglass where you find water intrusion. Replace the core and re-glass the outer fiberglass. Inject all the rest of the screw holes with epoxy and fill the holes. It's best to not drill new holes again. Clean all bedding off the teak and decks. Trowel thickened epoxy on the decks and re-lay the teak using screws only as long as needed and large washers to hold the teak down until the epoxy dries. Remove the screws once everything sets and fill again with epoxy. Re-caulk all the teak. Now you have teak decks with no place to leak again and cause another major repair. This is labor intense but well worth the effort if you want to keep teak decks. Good luck. Chuck
After pulling apart decks where the injection process was used, I found there to be hundreds of little epoxy pillars surrounded with rotted core. Not a real or very good fix IMHO.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
the limited production tayana surprise 45 has foam cores.
There again, what kind of foam? Some foam is as useless as balsa when wet.