Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 07:49   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: Teak Leaking

We've learned that pulling big sections of cover glass and core, bagging in the core and then bagging in the cover glass makes a huge difference in labor for fairing, which is where the majority of the labor is.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:28   #62

Please don't get too worked up over this, now that you have the boat. Give yourself time. You'll get to know the boat. You'll get to know some of the leaks, if they actually come in.

My boat has been around since 1979. The deck still feels sure under my feet. Yes, there may be some core issues somewhere......but I haven't found them yet. Most of the screws have their bungs intact......so if I remove the screws that don't and add epoxy to hold a bung.....I don't think I'm risking anything because there are screws nearby. We'll see. I know it's not a sure thing.
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:50   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

So I'm wondering...what is going to happen to all the moisture once you have sealed it in? To me, you told them you were going to replace the decks, in order to get "a deal" on the boat and now you are not. I think this one may bite you later but at least you might get some use out of the boat. I have done two decks now. A Tartan Blackwatch which had both her side deck soft and a Rawson 30 with the intire foredeck soft. Neither had Teak deck and was still a huge job. To me, if you leave the moisture in, it will just migrate the problem.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03   #64

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So I'm wondering...what is going to happen to all the moisture once you have sealed it in? To me, you told them you were going to replace the decks, in order to get "a deal" on the boat and now you are not. I think this one may bite you later but at least you might get some use out of the boat. I have done two decks now. A Tartan Blackwatch which had both her side deck soft and a Rawson 30 with the intire foredeck soft. Neither had Teak deck and was still a huge job. To me, if you leave the moisture in, it will just migrate the problem.
This is where a good moisture meter and the ability to read one comes into play. We have used vacuum pumps in small areas to draw out the moisture and in larger areas, removed and replaced the core. One might find large areas where there is no water intrusion at all. Not all boats need to have the entire deck replaced to be repaired properly. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25   #65

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I agree 100%. I found with my side decks, the damage extended a good foot further than where I thought it was or where the tapping with a plastic mallet indicated. A moisture meter would have been a wonderful tool to have.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54   #66

Are the teak bungs coming out clean?
Are you saying the screw holes in the fiberglass are too big and the screws wont bite?

You dont have to mix and use epoxy if the holes still hold the screw. If you do use epoxy, use one that cures/bonds with water present, otherwise you may still have leaks.
The other option is to redrill the holes and the bung holes for the next size larger holes and put larger screws in.
You can just dip those screws or any of the screws used above in 5200 or other good caulking in lieu of epoxy... if you do have moisture, alot of epoxy doesnt bond well at all when wet.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 15:47   #67
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Are the teak bungs coming out clean?
Are you saying the screw holes in the fiberglass are too big and the screws wont bite?

You dont have to mix and use epoxy if the holes still hold the screw. If you do use epoxy, use one that cures/bonds with water present, otherwise you may still have leaks.
The other option is to redrill the holes and the bung holes for the next size larger holes and put larger screws in.
You can just dip those screws or any of the screws used above in 5200 or other good caulking in lieu of epoxy... if you do have moisture, alot of epoxy doesnt bond well at all when wet.

some of the deck does not hold screws/the deck in small sections is coming up. i will take that teak completely up, and check the core by hand. other leaks are the top windows, and vents. so i will begin with the small areas. i am having a 4th party on it and want it to look presentable. whats the best thing to use to get the flaking urethane?(or whatever it is) off the deck? can i use a plastic bristle brush?

also how do i remove those screw bungs/plugs?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 16:41   #68

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

It is unrealistic to think you will have the work done by the 4th so I would start at the bow and work in small areas. It will take much , much longer than you think.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 16:51   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
It is unrealistic to think you will have the work done by the 4th so I would start at the bow and work in small areas. It will take much , much longer than you think.
NOT planning to have it done by the 4th.
just want to get the flaking stuff off it.
i will start on the worse spots.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:20   #70
cruiser

So, how do i remive the teal plugs?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:15   #71

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
So, how do i remive the teal plugs?
You can use a small chisel or screwdriver and they will sometimes pop out otherwise you have to drill em out. Get a plug cutter bit to make new ones. Don't bugger up the screws. Lots of vids. Fabricating new pieces is very tecnical and not for the average do it yourselfer.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34   #72

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post

You can use a small chisel or screwdriver and they will sometimes pop out otherwise you have to drill em out. Get a plug cutter bit to make new ones. Don't bugger up the screws. Lots of vids. Fabricating new pieces is very tecnical and not for the average do it yourselfer.
There is a guy here right now re fastening and re caulking his deck on a 60' ketch. His deck is very thick, but some screws are impossible to remove. Drilling them out was taking forever. They've developed a neat jig, essentially a flat bar with a hole to fit his plug cutter on one end. Kneel on jig, run plug cutter down around screw to gain access and remove screw with good access.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02   #73

You dont need to chisel or drill plugs out... just take a phillips head sheet metal screw and screw it into the plug. center... the screw bottoms out on the internal screw head and pulls the old plug right out. easy.... and saves the hole clean.
PS: A big deck repair can take weeks (full time) if not months.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote