Faith in humanity....what the hell?
E185640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 10:13   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Type 1 Diabetic w/ Insulin Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon60 View Post
Hi,

this is great finding other diabetics getting on with things and hearing how they deal with the challenges.. Perhaps a recurring thread would be a good idea??

On the query re the pump getting wet....

The pump I use is rated to an IPX.. standard which specifies the depth to which it can be immersed without being compromised.. Same for the sensor and transmitter..

Personally, I take it off if I go in the water.

I've looked at some sealed options both for this.. iPads and mobile phones as well as cameras. There is always a risk no matter how thorough you are in sealing the pocket in my opinion.

Wearing the pump under layers of clothing protected it well enough for example in very stormy conditions I've been in.. including on an immersing bow in a F8 manually furling a jib after the furling line broke...and sweating didn't compromise it...

If I have to go in a life raft my pens and meter(s) are coming.. I wouldn't rely on the pump, vials etc..

On the cost of drugs and consumables certainly the info re Portugal and Spain is correct.. One vial of tabs I get costs €50 in Ireland and €3.40 in the Canaries..

On another note.. My BnG plotter takes inputs from wireless devices and across the boat network.. I've often wondered would it be possible to interface the pump with it to show the BG level..

It would save having to dig it out when on the helm.. ;-)

Oh so you’re one of those pump hackers :-)
Old 20-07-2020, 10:21   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu, 53'

That brings up an interesting idea.

I have an old Minimed 522 pump, and have previously built the closed loop system with the Riley Link and OpenAPS. It is old tech now with the Tandem introduction.

However, this could offer another option for an emergency backup.
Old 20-07-2020, 11:22   #19

Decades ago, I bought a waterproof, clear plastic pouch for my early generation, hand held, GPS. I used the GPS when sea kayaking and the pouch would allow me to see the GPS, manipulate the keys and keep the GPS dry.

Seem like a similar pouch would add a degree of water proofness to the insulin pump though one would have to poke holes in the pouch. Certainly, the pouch would keep even heavy splashes from getting to the pump.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 11:30   #20

Boat: Amel Super Maramu, 53'
Thumbs up Re: Type 1 Diabetic w/ Insulin Pump

Dan,

John forwarded a link to a dry bag sold in the UK that fits insulin pumps. I am in the US and the company will not sell the unit to hold pumps because of FDA approval requirements.

John, the absurdly decent human being that he is, offered to buy it in the UK and send to the US. Crazy..right? What a gentleman and scholar!

The fine folks at the UK company (Aquapac) replied to my inquiry about a US sale and informed me of the FDA restrictions....then told me the same exact product is sold, but for "radio use only" (John sen the link in the previous post). It apparently works for more than radios, but not after you cross Trump's wall.

I have one on order now. Will give it a go and let folks know how it works for their future reference in this thread.
Old 16-04-2021, 08:31   #21

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hallo E185640 I sent a private message which perhaps you may not have seen. May I do something to help?
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump