Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 19:15   #31

Boat: Jarkan 12.5 42 feet
Re: WHY square sails point better than sloops.

Dear Cruise N. You have not learnt to sail yet so why are you pontificating on these issues. Please go and learn to sail and study the physical laws which govern the reasons why sloops point better than square sails in virtually all circumstances. Also try staying off the grog or whatever else is affecting your thinking before venturing again into print on this subject
girdasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 19:28   #32

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseN View Post
Ever felt the energy of a relaxed Great White shark?
No.

But waz you ever bit by a dead bee?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 20:36   #33

CruiseN:

Please, please let me have a quiet night — please, please put me out of my misery :-)! Tell me: What IS the language you speak on Sundays to please the Lord? Somehow I think it is one Google Translate and Babble are not comfortable with.

Post #27 almost made sense, so I've been muckin' abaht trying to "reverse translate" it. Drew a blank, I did. Ye've got a lot of us on our beam ends, ye 'ave!

So tell me. Please :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 20:50   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdasso View Post
Dear Cruise N. You have not learnt to sail yet so why are you pontificating on these issues. Please go and learn to sail and study the physical laws which govern the reasons why sloops point better than square sails in virtually all circumstances. Also try staying off the grog or whatever else is affecting your thinking before venturing again into print on this subject
LoL

I forgot how 2 sail when I let 1 sail instead. Fetching myself a drink whilst boat sailed herself.
Coming in that day, mainsail slabbed less than reef points.. some short feet of luff was plentiful.

My thoughts derive from a point access forehead. Physical bone breach.. keep bracing with exercise. Smiling exercise too.

Looking at race car air dam.. doing same job as luff! Dam air. Low pressure high volume keep. Fuel for thrust aft.
When cars lift due to bump, etc.. air dam lost and we watch cars do backflips.
Luff same. When breach occurs, darn boat with no dam falls over.
Wind isn't a straight cool. Wind has movement. Yet argument goes on, let's use a fixed luff and expect dam air to flow gracefully..
Arguably ho.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 21:17   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
My thoughts derive from a point access forehead. Physical bone breach.. .
Guys, cut him some slack. There have been a couple of previous clues.
References in previous posts to "Face rebuilt with titanium alloy"and " a drilled skull"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 21:20   #36

Quote:
LoL

My thoughts derive from a point access forehead. Physical bone breach.. keep bracing with exercise. Smiling exercise too.
I haven't yet been able to understand most of what you are saying, or the point of your posts. Couldn't decide if you were a brilliant lyrical poet or a raving loon...either seems likely as they are confounding yet entertaining as I struggle to gain a sense of the underlying narrative.
For instance, should we read this quote literally and assume your roundabout manner of writing or thinking is due to a head injury?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2021, 21:57   #37
cruiser

Also know I agree with you sir.
Sloops walk into the wind. With hills climbing the direction of wind flow. Sloops walk up the hills.
Whereas with a torqued luff acceptable to movement of winds unseen dance, reaching is running into the wind. Work load is minimal yet heavy because a clear eye can be set to lead the edge of a wind breaker system.

Instead of a dam racing edge of a fixed system, sail set becomes a high torque monster truck of easier control lines if association of sister ships with different rig choices.

Cleaner use of higher energy systems rather than higher energy use of reduced weather systems. I kind of like that. Becomes safer when required.

But like a rocket launcher. Cow goosed off had a rear clearance requirement; square the same. Can't just bolt through a tack, gotta go around which is probably miles during heavy conditions to rebuild momentum and run up the hills again. May as well just crawl or walk up the mountains and stay in the weather system longer.

Simple physics aye.

Gotta love an argument older than we.

We watch racers. Risking rig for extra knots.

We watch cruisers. Building momentum flowing leeward cloth.

Then came the cats.. rotational luff. Ohh bouy oh bouy oh bouy. Luff heel reduction via reduced impact on vessel rotation??

Doesn't matter if I know how 2 sail. Same old story. Practice leeward cloth flow and survive.
Old 21-06-2021, 22:04   #38

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I can sometimes get your drift but the imagery gets lost in the words
Old 21-06-2021, 22:05   #39
cruiser

Neville Cat.
Best lesson I continue to learn is flow the leeward cloth.

Some are new to sailing. Some don't have the access to the teachers I had/have.

From leeward flow is sail rudders, point, vessel control.. I'm sure the list goes on.

I'm intelligent with a language known as physics. At uni, blind on alcohol, sitting in 3hr exam unable to read blurr, I waited until half hour period of 3 hour exam and walked out. (Walk outs allowed other than first and last half hour). My grade ; distinction.
Yet sailing blows us all away at times

English knot so good.
Probably sweeping decks to maintain brace strength incase required.

Leeward flow ho.
Old 21-06-2021, 22:27   #40
cruiser

All the rest of the ship changes with fashion.
Let's increase plane angle and spill some.
Let's reduce plane angle and work quick hands.
Let's increase keelson and maintain pace.
Let's reduce keelson and turn to race.
Let's square rig and work our lead.
Let's triangle and work our feed.

But always the same. Less damage if we flow leeward cloth.

I'm out. Probably to gusty now. Just a gardener nowadays watching something from nothing grow.
Old 21-06-2021, 23:44   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
CruiseN:

Please, please let me have a quiet night — please, please put me out of my misery :-)! Tell me: What IS the language you speak on Sundays to please the Lord? Somehow I think it is one Google Translate and Babble are not comfortable with.

Post #27 almost made sense, so I've been muckin' abaht trying to "reverse translate" it. Drew a blank, I did. Ye've got a lot of us on our beam ends, ye 'ave!

So tell me. Please :-)

TP
Junk rig. Regards post #20. Looking forward to reading about them I am.

Percentages?
First thing we did with our typically known as racing hull was add extra reef points. Why?
Because we'd be laden. To effectively flow the leeward of sail for safety reasons including counter rotational forces because laden we'd be slower and slower is less flow and less flow along a tapered edge is less sideways forces. Eg. As sail as an engine we'd be bogged down instead of revving in a balanced rpm section so may as well save rig costs and reef down for vessel control.

Which leads to higher plane angle. Degree of rotation vessel plane flattens out. If you're a flat plane, you can still heel but sideways force via mast would be much more. If you're with a higher plane, vessel will naturally tip over a bit easier so unless wind strong tipping vessel, you're losing that sail bite to slide wind with but you're winning an easy to tip vessel that'll bare alot more sail because gusts become seen as a much smaller momentary strength growth. She's already over and trimmed to suit but not as fragile a balance as a forced over high strength propulsion such as most racers.

Brought an injured racing vessel into port, high heel plane, leeward cloth flow, heavy winds, all sails up including spinnaker. Because although wind strength was up, force on heel was minimal. We docked absent of windward stay. The vessel naturally wants to assist spillage of extra wind but some don't like passage on heel.

I don't know. If square rig vs sloop not a natural argument, Watt about full keel vs vertical tapered edge fin?

I'm totally confusable too. Most of you know more than I regarding sail.

Leading edge of square sail being a torqued luff takes most of the rotational force is my guess. Spinnakers on sloops do when reaching. Although main luff is still the mast, the main leach feeds off the leading edge of sail. Thus people thinking their spinnakers are powerful are often different languaging the simplistic flow of the main leach via the sail systems leading edge. Hence the main is working because the spinnaker is providing thus although main luff still attractive to some wind, such luff ain't the leading edge. Neither is forestay which causes alot of rotational force when used as leading edge. Eg. White sails.

Ever been close gunnel match racing? Although identical vessels, if you both have 30 footers and the lower boat is shadowed by the windward boat. If lower boats nose is a foot Infront, although apparent wind is blocked from main and most Genoa, real wind on cloth is leached from leading edge which is clear. That boat will point higher because of that. Upwind boat has choices; tack or stall and start her sails up again aft of shadowed vessel.

Square sails have torqued luffs which uniform with wind movement when trimmed which is a really fantastic thing.
Reaching up wind.

I write to much. Not sailing enough. No rush to get wet.

Fair winds to you.

Just hoping new comers with or without understanding recognise something to do. Maintenance of leeward flow.
From there we were really lazy. Roller headsail would have done the trick. Pull in, pull out until size of sail matches a balanced helm. Although if we fall in she'll keep sailing, maybe luff helm or whatever terminology is to bring to stall.

I have weed roots the size of carrots. LoL.
A berth to home with. A boat next year.
Just cruising along.
Old 21-06-2021, 23:46   #42
cruiser

Nahh. I just tripping.

Leeward flow worth earning IMHO.
I don't know how neither. Just give the kid the sheet, tell him her to flow the leeward. They'll figure it out pretty quickly.
Old 28-06-2021, 12:13   #43
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Perhaps performance is as much about the people sailing as well as the type of sail.

We saw the Tall ships festival in Halifax, Nova Scotia around the year 2002.
We went on board many of them, but two remain memorable,

the Italian Amerigo Vespucci, a poem in brass and varnish, with plump little cadets in tight white pants, dark blue jackets with lots of shiny buttons and gold braid;

and the Mir, the Russian vessel. Stripped down, no wood, steel rigging, everything just functional and painted. The cadets were scruffy and hungry looking, and had a donations box.

Someone said that the Russians went short of food when racing to save weight...and they did win the race that year, although the Italians would have won the beauty contest!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 19:45   #44

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Maybe, just maybe, the OP is using a text generating program?
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 20:21   #45

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I actually queried him on that point, on another thread. I think he said no.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails, sloop