Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 00:37   #346
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Na....his wife just banned him from facebook, blogs, chat rooms after she stumbled on this thread...heck...half the guys here talking large would have their nuts chopped off if "The Boss" ever found out what they were saying and they know it!
To hell with the boat - She took away his internet...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	talkbehindback.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	85127  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 01:23   #347

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
We agree on boats together but it didn't help my cruising dream, which will stay a dream a while longer. [I]My plan is to loop back, buy a gunboat and try again when the kids are out of school. Donations towards this approach welcome.

Meantime I'm sailing several times a week and and making sure that next time the stars align I'm ready. Last time the chance was there the confidence wasn't.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain to me why you think strangers should fund your cruising? I understand this is not uncommon, but setting oneself up to be dependent upon others for one's financial viability as a cruiser seems unreal to me. Please explain to me how you envision this.

Ann
Old 17-07-2014, 02:41   #348

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

C'mon Ann,

Where's your charity? Send some to me as well
(Needless to say, I think he was joking)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 05:22   #349

Boat: Beneteau 411
Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Sorry Tryrsh... I look across the road and I don't think boat - I think Monsanto. Warning, what I am about to say will probably piss you off...no bashing intended. When I think Monsanto and GMO, I think about the massive dumps of pesticides making the waters toxic, the soil barren, and mile-long list of negative side effects it has on the rest of the ecosystem. I think about the fact this dinky hole, with a town of 3,000 has 27 oncology docs - coincidence? I don't think boat, and never will. This moves into my next point.....

No kidding. Try being *mostly vegan, holistic and socially aware on top of the fact sailing folk are harder to come by! I've come to terms with the fact I am likely going to be single for my remaining days - which brings me to Ann...

We have guys looking for ladies who can sail with them... stand their own watch and such. Women who are at least this involved have to have some level of independence... women's lib or not.

Besides, who wants to be told how, when and where they will have fun?
I sure don't.

Ever see that documentary "Food Inc"? There is an Indiana farmer in it that was falsely accused of Patent infringement by Monsanto, He spent over $400k fighting those false allegations. That same Indiana farmer has traveled the world doing speaking engagements, testifying before our congress and the Parliaments of foreign nations on these matters. That Indiana farmer is me. So you go right ahead and bash on Monsanto, (I do) just please know your facts. Your in error about GMO and pesticide use, GMO's actually significantly reduce pesticide use (that's their purpose after all). We are in agreement as to the relationship of pesticides use and cancer and other environmental concerns.

And by the way... I grow certified organic too, so I'd be happy to serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 07:04   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
Ever see that documentary "Food Inc"? There is an Indiana farmer in it that was falsely accused of Patent infringement by Monsanto, He spent over $400k fighting those false allegations. That same Indiana farmer has traveled the world doing speaking engagements, testifying before our congress and the Parliaments of foreign nations on these matters. That Indiana farmer is me. So you go right ahead and bash on Monsanto, (I do) just please know your facts. Your in error about GMO and pesticide use, GMO's actually significantly reduce pesticide use (that's their purpose after all). We are in agreement as to the relationship of pesticides use and cancer and other environmental concerns.
Sorry to hear you got all tangled up in the Monsanto nightmare; and good for you on fighting their nonsense patent claims. They should have never been allowed to patent life in the first place, and of course, it's just only a coincidence that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was Monsanto's former corporate lawyer

So I'm guessing you're familiar with Charles Benbrook; the U of Washington ag scientist? He initially agreed with you about the industry claim of lower pesticide use. When the first GMO seeds, the Bt corn and Bt cotton, came on the market expressing their own pesticide, the use did decrease.

Then came RoundUp Ready crops - genetically altered to be resistant to glyphosate! (see your local dealer to purchase these terminating seeds and quantities of our glyphosate pesticide today!)

Glyphosate is safe for human consumption in small amounts. I'm not a scientist, not that it would matter - these biotech companies won't allow scientists from outside their evil corp to fully research the effectiveness and environmental impacts, but I am scientifically minded and study quantum physics for fun, so I'm not a dummy either. GMOs have been linked to cancer, high tumor rates, endocrine disruption, neurotoxicity, liver and kidney problems, and sterilizing reproductive effects - so maybe we're getting a little more than we bargained for. Glad you're in agreement on that. ...and possibly a lot more glycosate than they claim...

Benbrook also said that since this biotechnological advance in the 90s, pesticide use on commodity crops went up 7%. He estimated that American farmers have used 404 million more pounds of pesticide since 1996 than they would have growing conventional crops. Biotech companies disagree, and isn't it awesome that in 2008, the Bush USDA pretty much halted all pesticide tracking

Now, that we've

...veering back to the topic (sorry folks!)

Tell us, when you take off on your corn and wind powered boat for 4 months each fall, does your lady friend come with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Maybe it's just me but guys are different - If I found a woman with a boat who was gonna pay the bills and wanted to make me a boat "b!tch" I'd pull the plug immediately.
But I am totally comfortable in my extreme manliness -
You mean there are guys willing to have a female partner who is nothing more than a boat b!tch?! Guys who will pay the bills? I'll have to rethink this...

NorthernSeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 07:44   #351
cruiser

Boat: 53 amel super maramu

some fur lined handcuffs and a whip should do it
tongabongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:14   #352

Boat: Beneteau 411

Quote:
Sorry to hear you got all tangled up in the Monsanto nightmare; and good for you on fighting their nonsense patent claims. They should have never been allowed to patent life in the first place, and of course, it's just only a coincidence that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was Monsanto's former corporate lawyer

So I'm guessing you're familiar with Charles Benbrook; the U of Washington ag scientist? He initially agreed with you about the industry claim of lower pesticide use. When the first GMO seeds, the Bt corn and Bt cotton, came on the market expressing their own pesticide, the use did decrease.

Then came RoundUp Ready crops - genetically altered to be resistant to glyphosate! (see your local dealer to purchase these terminating seeds and quantities of our glyphosate pesticide today!)

Glyphosate is safe for human consumption in small amounts. I'm not a scientist, not that it would matter - these biotech companies won't allow scientists from outside their evil corp to fully research the effectiveness and environmental impacts, but I am scientifically minded and study quantum physics for fun, so I'm not a dummy either. GMOs have been linked to cancer, high tumor rates, endocrine disruption, neurotoxicity, liver and kidney problems, and sterilizing reproductive effects - so maybe we're getting a little more than we bargained for. Glad you're in agreement on that. ...and possibly a lot more glycosate than they claim...

Benbrook also said that since this biotechnological advance in the 90s, pesticide use on commodity crops went up 7%. He estimated that American farmers have used 404 million more pounds of pesticide since 1996 than they would have growing conventional crops. Biotech companies disagree, and isn't it awesome that in 2008, the Bush USDA pretty much halted all pesticide tracking

Now, that we've

...veering back to the topic (sorry folks!)

Tell us, when you take off on your corn and wind powered boat for 4 months each fall, does your lady friend come with you?

You mean there are guys willing to have a female partner who is nothing more than a boat b!tch?! Guys who will pay the bills? I'll have to rethink this...

I'll answer the question of the company I keep on forum and PM northern sea wolf, on the off topic discussion. If the GMO subject interest anyone else I'll be happy to participate in a new thread at the appropriate location.

My friend, has kids in school, work and those type of commitments that preclude her for spending winters on the boat. She does visit, and enjoys the lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:31   #353

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

=== some fur lined handcuffs and a whip should do it ===

For me or for her?
Old 17-07-2014, 09:05   #354

Fear of the unknown almost ruined our dream back in 1997, when we had the boat ready, paperwork done and had made it to San Diego (from S.F.). An attitude adjustment (mine) worked amazingly well and we spent the next six years cruising Mexico.

Woman or man, finding out a bit about your destination and realizing the enormous gain and entertainment value of the boat you are on will go a long way toward making the dream come true. Feeling confident in your sailing ability and knowledge is also key, but you will learn a lot on your trip down the coast

Hope the OP is reading Latitude 38 and getting some helpful hints from the cruising or BaHaHa section. Very helpful.

If wife was on-board originally, discuss what (besides expense) changed her mind? Do you both have dreams of beautiful anchorages (free) or luxury marinas (not free)? The snorkeling is lovely in the former, the pools are exceptional in the latter.

Hope this works out for you, maybe some discussion will help. Best wishes!
Waterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 15:50   #355
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:

I don't know about the reverse but I can tell you my in box has not been flooded with offers in the last couple of days - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 15:51   #356
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
=== some fur lined handcuffs and a whip should do it ===

For me or for her?
If you have to ask...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 16:42   #357

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Although I did buy the boat before I met my (now) wife, we have spent the last 8 years converting that tired old racing boat into a more comfortable, practical, seaworthy cruising boat. We have both been fully invested in the process - she's a gal that likes to get her hands dirty, loves boats and working on them, doesn't mind power tools, or fiberglass dust in her hair. The point is, that now the boat is nearly ready and we are getting set to cast the lines, it isn't remotely "my boat" but is fully "our boat" because we have both invested equally in "sweat dollars". This makes our relationship on the water much more balanced... its not "skipper and mate", but "skipper and skipper" (or "mate and mate", really).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 16:47   #358
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

We have a long time cruiser/live aboard couple friends (like 25yrs) that rotate off the title and responsibbility/decision making of "Captain" every year.

25yrs of livinig aboard and crusinig is NOT the norm...my guess is that the average cruising couple gets 2-5yrs of cruising/living aboard with equal or more time prepping and getting ready!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 20:29   #359

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I have been married 43 years and boating for 50. Cruising is important to me. Not so my wife. She will fly to a destination and I cruise less than I would like.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 17:31   #360

Boat: Endeavour 33

Good wives are hard to find. I would sell my boat in a second in order to keep my wonderful wife. Keep your wife and sell the boat. Take a step or two back and return to a smaller boat. Find contentment and be happy with what you have.
AgPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising