Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07   #166

Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I was going to do the 12v marine computer thing but the android tablet has sold me otherwise. Much more portable, the transformer prime functions as a laptop for typing, and plays movies like a champ. Remote bluetooth speaker for music knocks out the need for a car stereo onboard as well.
I've thought about Android, but I am concerned that the Android 'universe' of apps and online info is alot smaller than Linux. What Android apps would you use for navigating?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:35   #167

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Found this link New Navstation Computer? « VALIS

"I’ve used small netbooks previously (look at the EeePc line for one low-power solution). These have worked well, but this year It looks like we will have a different configuration: The EeeBox and a small 14-inch USB-connected display:"
ASUS - Eee- ASUS EeeBox PC EB1007

Newegg.com - lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 (1452DS6) Black 14" 8ms Widescreen LED-Backlit LCD Flat Panel Monitor 200 cd/m2 400:1 The display burns 5W or less, and with keyboard and mouse plugged in, and the EeeBox powered with a 12V/18V adaptor, the whole mess draws under 2A @ 12V. When I plug a quad RS232/USB adaptor, and an Iridium satphone into the remaining USB ports the current drain is under 2.5A @ 12V.
Hint: To use only the USB monitor, you need to have a “dummy VGA plug” plugged into the EeeBox VGA connector. Otherwise the EeeBox never completes the startup sequence and the USB display remains blank. I spent a few hours figuring this out!
This particular USB monitor has LED backlights, and there is a button on the back that lets you adjust the screen brightness. The lowest setting is completely appropriate for use on a dark night. I haven’t tried the display in sunlight, but that’s not where I will be using it. I’m looking for a software method to control the backlight, but haven’t found one yet. The brightness button is pretty easy to reach. This monitor and computer are both light enough that you could secure them with velcro if you wanted.
The EeeBox runs Windows 7 (64-bit), and so far all the programs I need are working fine.

Above was posted by Valis June 2012 on own website.

Sounds neat but how much$$? I didnt see a ,link to buy the eepc and the link to the newegg page for the monitor says NLA?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51   #168

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

ASUS EB1007-B0410 EeeBox Mini Desktop PC $368
Amazon.com: Asus EeeBox PC EB1007-B016F Intel Atom D410 1.66GHz / 2GB / 320GB / NO ODD / Windows 7 Pro Desktop PC(Black): Computers & Accessories

Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 - 14" $178 to $198

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkVi...screen-Monitor

https://www.google.com/products/cata.../dp/B005L2NA54
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53   #169

Also - Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 Review - does not have 300 nits display.

Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 Review & Rating | PCMag.com
Pros

Lightweight. USB powered. Good color and text quality.
Cons

Weak light grayscale performance. Lacks picture settings.
Bottom Line

The Lenovo ThinkVision LT1421 portable 14-inch monitor is a great travel companion for users requiring more screen real estate while on the road.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54   #170

Asus EeeBox PC EB1007 utube showing it piggy backed on the display.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:25   #171

From YachtValhala's website:

March 2010
"On a recent trip to Singapore I found an ASUS 1000 netbook with Linux operating system and 40GB SSD (solid state drive). I installed Windows XP and all of my navigation programs. The power consumption of this machine is a miserly 800mA while simultaneously running five navigation programs. Now THAT's more like it!"

He previously used a 12v
ASUS EeePC 1000H that drew about 1.13a or 13.5watts and liked it. His page here: Cruiser
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43   #172

Nexus 7 Thread. Android system. Perhaps use MXmarine? Mentions that it is viewable in sunlight.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...let-85556.html
Old 26-02-2013, 07:15   #173

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

I have purchased a second monitor to use in the cockpit.

1.I would like to turn the inside monitor off to conserve power. Does anyone know how to do this in XP??

2. Do to the screen size of the second monitor the depths are rather small for vector charts. Does anyone know how to increase the font size for vector/cm93 charts?
Old 26-02-2013, 11:36   #174
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

You can go into the control panel power options and set a low time for the OS to turn off the monitor or better you can just hit the power button on the monitor. Anything else would involve the control functions of your graphics section.

If there is a way to make the font size larger for vector charts then someone else will have to chime in.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:58   #175

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I've thought about Android, but I am concerned that the Android 'universe' of apps and online info is alot smaller than Linux. What Android apps would you use for navigating?
Lake-Effect,

See my 'how to' here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage , and thread here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-94064-12.html

There has been a report from sevanopula that he has successfully used a bluetooth gps with OpenCPN running in a chroot, linux environment on his android tablet. Solutions for using a usb gps are being pursued, and rather involved methods have been proposed. We are hoping mrm, marius - a poster in the thread brings a simple fix forward relatively soon.

Personally, I have no need for a gps connected to OpenCPN. Read my posts to find out why.

There are also Windows tablet users presently trying to get a gps - built in or usb - to work.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:00   #176

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
You can go into the control panel power options and set a low time for the OS to turn off the monitor or better you can just hit the power button on the monitor. Anything else would involve the control functions of your graphics section.
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the timeout idea blanks both screens and the inside computer is a laptop, so no power button. So far the best I can do is dim the inside screen.
Old 27-02-2013, 08:26   #177
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the timeout idea blanks both screens and the inside computer is a laptop, so no power button. So far the best I can do is dim the inside screen.
All the laptops I have had have a key on the main keyboard that allows switching from the laptop screen to an external monitor. Is that your setup, the screen on the laptop below with an external monitor connected to the VGA output on the laptop? In that case easy to switch from one to the other just using the keyboard.

Then if you are having problems with the screen in the cockpit blanking out go to the setup screen on your laptop and disable the power saving feature that blanks out the monitor. Then it will stay on until you turn off the computer.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:35   #178
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Most laptops that offer an external video output allow you to choose which screen to use from the keyboard. If you have an Intel based system you can choose which screen to use from the Intel graphics window.
Old 27-02-2013, 16:02   #179

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37

I was searching for a 12V monitorwith VESA mount 2 years ago and the only one I could find at the time was made by Planar. I have the model PL1900 19". I had hoped to wire it directly to the M4-ATX power supply in the computer I put together so the 12 volt power would be regulated. For reasons I still don't clearly understand, this caused horizontal lines to scroll on the monitor. Planar makes a 12V power brick that stabalizes the voltage. I ended up going that route. Would love to find a better solution.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 17:30   #180
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not sure why your M4-Atx caused lines on the display but it probably wasn't necessary to use regulated 12 volts. I've ran a Planar PE1700 directly off my 12 volt batteries for years and still use it in my office. I replaced it with a Mag Innovision GML 2226 with LED backlighting (no longer available).

Currently available is the Hanns-G HL203DPB with Vesa mounts and Samsung has The S19A450 and S19A200 series available with LED back light and Vesa mounts. These will all run directly off of your boats 12 volt buss.

Tags
12v computers, marine computers