Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2023, 05:42   #1

Boat: Super Van Craft 11.55 (12m10)
About the AutoTrackRaymarine Plugin

Hello everybody,
This is my first post in your Forum.
I'm sure to find near you the best help and support.
Many thanks in advance.
Yves

Here is my post :

I find the AutoTrackRaymarine plugin very interesting. I plan to install a Raymarine Evolution on my boat shortly. I did some tests to prepare for the installation.
But I have a question.

Here is the configuration I use:

A PC with Windows 10 is running OpenCPN 5.8.2 and SignalK 1.46.3.
I have an Actisense NGT-1 compatible gateway (made on Arduino ESP32)
I configured an STng network with a Raymarine RS150 GPS. The STng is connected to a NMEA 2000 network with different devices (arduino) to check, send and decode some data or PGN on the network.
Everything works well. But where I get stuck is with the AutoTrackRaymarine plugin.
It is installed correctly and seems to work well. Before starting the installation on the boat, I will make sure everything is working properly. But I don't see any data coming from the plugin to the autopilot. I know that the full AP configuration is not installed in my test network (ACU-400 EV1 P70R are not connected). My question is: are they needed to make the plugin responsive?
I check the serial port configured in the route preferences of Autopilot in Option Plugin in OpenCPN and I don't get anything on the COM port specified in the DataViewer.
What's wrong with my installation? Could you confirm that I need to receive data there?
You can see a diagram of my configuration at this URL: http://www.altairnet.net/test/TestConfiguration.png (sure don't panic)

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1683981701

Some explanations :

The PC is an Intel NUC I5 with 16 GB of RAM running which I connect with tightVNC and VNC viewer on my console PC

- Windows 10 64 Bit Latest Update.
- OpenCPN 5.8.2 (French)
- SignalK 1.46.3 (I'm using SignalK to convert NMEA 2000 data to SignalK protocol for OpenCPN (I couldn't find any other solution but I'm not attached to this product. If there is another option for receive NMEA 2000 frames in OpenCPN I'm interested.)

The NGT-1 compatible is an Arduino Mega with CAN Shield (Arduino Gateway by Timo Appalainen https://github.com/ttlappalainen/NME...inoGateway.ino)

The PGN Generator is another NMEA 2000 device simulator based on an Arduino ESP32 that sends various PGNs over the network for testing purposes.

The DataViewer is another Arduino ESP32 reading the CAN bus and displaying what is on both the SeaTalkng and NMEA 2000 network.

I open Putty sessions to communicate with the Arduino ESP32 at 2,000,000 bps. The NMEA 2000 side is at 250,000 bps.

To view the data coming out of the Plugin I have configured in the Plugin preferences either COM8 but it is used by SignalK, I do not know if SignalK will receive and convert the data received to send them on the NMEA 2000 network through the NGT-1.

I can if necessary install another NGT-1 not used by SignalK and visualize what passes by there.

I think that's all I can say about my project.

If I contact you, it's because I can't find a solution and I'm stuck.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TestConfiguration.png
Views:	189
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	275313  
Yves P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2023, 01:05   #2

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: About the AutoTrackRaymarine Plugin

I am busy on a new version that will use the NMEA2000 connectivity of the new OpenCPN 5.8, more to follow soon.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2023, 01:10   #3

Tanks for your message.
Hope that will be ready in a short time.
Old 14-05-2023, 01:42   #4

I try to install a second NGT-1 on the COM port I select in Option - Plugin - Preferences.
At witch baudrate is this port communicating, please ?
Old 14-05-2023, 02:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves P View Post
I try to install a second NGT-1 on the COM port I select in Option - Plugin - Preferences.
At witch baudrate is this port communicating, please ?

115200, but this depends on the speed you have set in your NGT-1 with nmeareader from Actisense.
Old 15-05-2023, 11:54   #6

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
I am busy on a new version that will use the NMEA2000 connectivity of the new OpenCPN 5.8, more to follow soon.

Hi Douwe,
Will the updated plugin version work with:
Raspberry Pi
Evo100
Yacht Devices Usb to nmea2000 interphase
Opencpn/Openplotter
SignalK
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 04:27   #7

Hello Douwe,
Hello all,

That's it, it's operational. thank you for the information. I found that the gateway that I thought was NTG-1 compatible, only converted data from the CAN Bus (NMEA 2000) to USB.
To see what was blocking me, I placed a Sniffer made with an Arduino Uno which displayed the data coming out of the port dedicated to the Plugin (COM10 on the diagram) I also looked at the sources of the Plugin on the GIB and I understood that the data intended for an NTG-1 (a real one) was more complex. The frame contains a command that the NTG-1 should execute with identification and destination information and data.
Searching the GIB I found the solution. On Timo Appalainen's GIB I found a fully written sketch that works wonderfully to simulate an NTG-1 with an arduino and a CAN adapter card quite simply. https://github.com/ttlappalainen/NME...ArduinoGateway
And everything started to work well, it's magic.
If you want more explanation, feel free to ask me, I'll gladly inform you... but we'll probably create a new topic for that.
So I attach here below the current diagram of my installation:

Here are some explanations:

- A PC which is that of the boat runs Windows 10

- In this PC I installed SignalK, the version for Windows, to connect the various devices which run in NMEA 2000 (if you have devices in NMEA 0183 SignalK will also be a gateway)
The signaK receives information from the CAN bus (NMEA 2000) through the gateway to a USB port (COM8). It is a one-way connection.

- I also have OpenCPN, the latest version, 5.8.2 with the AutoTrackRaymarine Plugin. The dedicated port in the preferences communicates with the NTP-1 (for me the Arduino version) which sends and receives data in NMEA 2000 directly from the network. https://github.com/douwefokkema/AutoTrackRaymarine_pi
Everyone talks with everyone and the solution seems very stable.

The SeaTalkng is simply connected to NMEA 2000 and the two networks exchange data without any problem.

Attention ! In the configuration that I present, you only need to install one network termination on the SeaTalkng and one termination on the NMEA 2000 at the most distant ends normally. In total, no more than 2 terminations should be placed on all of the two networks when they are interconnected.

The other two devices (PGN generator and Data Viewer) are installed only for my tests. One simulates the operation of several accessories on my NMEA 2000 network and the other allows me to see what is going on the wires. They will be removed in the production version.

This completes my testing phase. I am now reassured to go and install the assembly on the boat (which is nearly 800 km away, you understand why I want to be sure of the proper functioning of the assembly before leaving!!!)

Yves, looking forward to reading your comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TestConfiguration-01.png
Views:	99
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	275547  
Old 20-05-2023, 07:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Hi Douwe,
Will the updated plugin version work with:
Raspberry Pi
Evo100
Yacht Devices Usb to nmea2000 interphase
Opencpn/Openplotter
SignalK

The current AutotrackRaymarine plugin will only function with a NGT-1 directly connected on Windows. The next version will function with any device supported by OpenCPN on any supported platform. This plugin does not support SignalK. I do not know if Evo100 is compatible. I do not think that O supports Yacht Devices Usb to nmea2000, but you can check the documentation.
Old 20-05-2023, 07:42   #9

Quote:
Hello Douwe,
Hello all,

That's it, it's operational. thank you for the information. I found that the gateway that I thought was NTG-1 compatible, only converted data from the CAN Bus (NMEA 2000) to USB.

Congratulations! However with a real NGT-1 it would have been easier. In the new version that I am working on you can use your device to connect through OpenCPN and also use the N2k functionality of O. But be patient, some issues prevent rapid implementation.
Do you know that you can control this plugin from the P70 control head. Press auto when the pilot is already in auto and the plugin will take over control and switch to Tracking. Press + or - or Stanby and the plugin will go back to Auto or Stb.
Old 20-05-2023, 08:12   #10

Hello Douwe,

I am finalizing my Evolution autopilot tests.

Today I installed all the mods. I thought everything was going to work fine but I was wrong.

I need a little information.

It seems that I can't take control of the Plugin from the Display p70R.

The AC-400, EV1 and p70R send data over the network fine. What I believe is that the Plugin does not communicate the data.

I removed SignalK and I communicate to OpenCPN with two NGT-1. One communicates on the port defined in Options Connections on a USB port, the other communicates directly with the Plugin in the port defined in Options Plugins AutoTrackRaymarine Preferences.

I use a simulator to send the following information: RPM Engine, COG/SOG, GPS, GNS. But I can't get my hands on the p70R. I do well as you have just described.

Do you have an explanation ? What information do I need to check to see if what's coming from the Plugin is there?

Thank you already for your support.

Yves
Old 20-05-2023, 09:08   #11

Quote:
The current AutotrackRaymarine plugin will only function with a NGT-1 directly connected on Windows. The next version will function with any device supported by OpenCPN on any supported platform. This plugin does not support SignalK. I do not know if Evo100 is compatible. I do not think that O supports Yacht Devices Usb to nmea2000, but you can check the documentation.

I haven’t had any problems with the yacht devices USB/NMEA2000 bridge on my opencpn pi400, nmea2000 system, with signalK, and use it with a Raymarine evo100 and Digital yacht B+ transponder. It’s been flawless from San Francisco, to La Paz, MX, and to Nuku Hiva, FP, in almost 3 years of cruising.
Old 20-05-2023, 09:19   #12

Quote:
Hello Douwe,

I am finalizing my Evolution autopilot tests.

Today I installed all the mods. I thought everything was going to work fine but I was wrong.

I need a little information.

It seems that I can't take control of the Plugin from the Display p70R.

The AC-400, EV1 and p70R send data over the network fine. What I believe is that the Plugin does not communicate the data.

I removed SignalK and I communicate to OpenCPN with two NGT-1. One communicates on the port defined in Options Connections on a USB port, the other communicates directly with the Plugin in the port defined in Options Plugins AutoTrackRaymarine Preferences.

I use a simulator to send the following information: RPM Engine, COG/SOG, GPS, GNS. But I can't get my hands on the p70R. I do well as you have just described.

Do you have an explanation ? What information do I need to check to see if what's coming from the Plugin is there?

Yves

Do you get a heading displayed in the plugin window?

Also a remark on your network configuration. The seatalk ng network is really a NMEA2000 network. Interconnecting the 2 networks should be done from the left connection of the leftmost T connector of the seatalk. Otherwise I can not understand how this will work. And the left T connector (Raymarine) may not be empty on the left side (it may on the drop side).
Old 20-05-2023, 20:20   #13

Quote:

Here is an interesting little tidbit that might make it work for the nmea200 device I have. Turns out that by default signals chooses Actisense NGT-1 js as its nmea2000 source device. It just works. Will be anxiously awaiting your updated plug-in Douwe. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	275636
Old 23-05-2023, 11:15   #14

Hello Douwe,
Hello everybody,

I have read your last remarks. You are right, my diagram is not very correct. I redid it with all the precision necessary to be precise.
I also attach the photos of the equipment under power.

Here are the installation details:

- I use two PCs. Both are on the boat. One is located in the technical space, the other is free in the cockpit or inside. Both are connected to each other in wifi via a wifi router which manages the ip addresses via a dhcp. I can also connect a mobile phone or tablet to it.
It is through VNC that I connect the programs from the technical pc to the console pc. Here at the office I have internet which enters the wifi router through the WAN connector but at sea I don't have internet. To be complete, the technical PC has no screen, keyboard or mouse.

- The pgn generator and data viewer are only installed for testing here at the office. It is not planned to install them on the boat. The 120 Ω terminator will be installed on the last connector of the nmea 2000 network. I also use a small oscilloscope to visualize the frames on the networks.

- The 12 V power supply for the SeaTalk ng network is made by the ACU 400. The rudder angle indicator and the motor are not installed in my test. They will be connected to the ACU 400 on the boat.

Here is the situation I encounter in test mode:

- I do not use the RS150 for testing. When it is running it sends the following PGNs:

PGN 126992 System Time
PGN 129025 Position, Rapid Update
PGN 129026 COG & SOG, Rapid Update
PGN 129029 GNSS Position Data
PGN 129033 Time & Date
PGN 129044 Chart Datum <------------------------ not in simulation
PGN 129539 GNSS DOPs
PGN 129540 GNSS Satellites in View
PGN 129542 GNSS Pseudorange Noise Statistics <---------- not in simulation
PGN 129547 GNSS Pseudorange Error Statistics <---------- not in simulation

The simulator sends the following PGNs:

PGN 126992 System Time
PGN 126993 Watchdog
PGN 129025 Position, Rapid Update
PGN 129026 COG & SOG, Rapid Update
PGN 129029 GNSS Position Data
PGN 129033 Time & Date
PGN 129539 GNSS DOPs
PGN 129540 GNSS Satellites in View

The EV 1 sends PGNs normally. The ACU 400 also sends expected PGNs.

Here is the sequence of operation I am following:

The p70Rs head is in Standby mode. The Plugin is also in Standby.
I push Auto mode on the Plugin. The Plugin switches to AUTO and the p70Rs indicates that we are also switching to AUTO.
I activate the chosen route. I direct the boat via the simulator towards the active Waypoint.
I try to switch to Tracking via the Auto button on the p70Rs, nothing changes.
I switch to Tracking via the Plugin and the heading calculated by the Plugin is displayed on the p70Rs.
Other information from the simulator program are also displayed on the p70Rs (SOG, Depth, Heading).
The XTE is well displayed on the Plugin but not on the p70Rs.
The TWS and DTW are also not displayed on the p70Rs.

After a while the Autopilot detects that the helm motor is not installed and that there is no response to its commands for this accessory, I get a Drive Stopped message. This Message seems to be normal then that all the elements are not installed in my office.

Basically the system works, but I can't control the Plugin from the p70Rs control head. XTE, DTW and TWS information would be displayed on the p70Rs that would be great.

Do you have an explanation to explain why the Plugin is not controlled by the p70Rs?

I can send you the logs of the data exchanged between the different devices.

Yves

The actual configuration schematic

The console PC connected via WiFi on the Technical PC

The p70Rs goes in AUTO mode when I push on Auto button on the Plugin

After a while the ACU 400 detect that the motor is not connected. An error message is displayed.

When I push on the Track button on the p70Rs the message I receive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TestConfiguration-02.png
Views:	963
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	275750   Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	275751  

Name:	20230523_131946.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	275752   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230523_131704.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	275753  

Name:	20230523_131453.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	275754  
Old 24-05-2023, 09:16   #15

"I try to switch to Tracking via the Auto button on the p70Rs, nothing changes."

Don't do that. This will switch the EV-1 to tracking, and it has no data. Instead switch the plugin to tracking. Push the Tracking button on the plugin or push Auto again (when already in auto) on the control head. The plugin will notice this second auto and switch to Tracking, and start following the active route (make it active before going to tracking).

Good luck, Douwe

Tags
marine, plug, plugin, raymarine