Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2024, 00:40   #76

Boat: Ovni 385
Re: About the AutoTrackRaymarine Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Welin View Post
Oh I do have one question: What is the setting "Max Error Angle"? Is that max rudder angle or..
The plugin will instruct the autopilot to steer a heading. This heading is BTW + correction. The correction is continuously calculated from a PID algorithm and is dependent of XTE, drift, cross-currents and compass errors. This correction is limited by "Max Error Angle". Default is 30 degrees. This limits "crazy corrections" in case of start up errors, large XTE or wrong data. In case of very strong currents 30 degrees might not be enough, can be increased as needed.

Douwe
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 09:10   #77

Thanks Douwe! I think then in layman's terms (for myself and others) it will not steer any tighter than 30 degree angle towards the plot line on the stock setting.. (It could get too aggressive if say it tried to steer 90 degrees straight at the plot line). Thanks again for a wonderful plugin, it's a game changer for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe Fokkema View Post
The plugin will instruct the autopilot to steer a heading. This heading is BTW + correction. The correction is continuously calculated from a PID algorithm and is dependent of XTE, drift, cross-currents and compass errors. This correction is limited by "Max Error Angle". Default is 30 degrees. This limits "crazy corrections" in case of start up errors, large XTE or wrong data. In case of very strong currents 30 degrees might not be enough, can be increased as needed.

Douwe
Rick Welin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 11:23   #78

Hi Douwe,
I think I may have found a bug. (Or possibly doing something wrong)

Following a route in tracking mode: The issue occurs when I put it into standby to steer around a log or something and then try to put it back on track. Which I generally do by steering back onto the track and then hitting the track button again. Then it almost always goes Haywire and might try to steer a U-turn and head backward on the route or even decide it's going to drive 90° from the plot line.

The only way I can get to get it to obey the track again is to go into options/plugins and deactivate AutoTrack by unchecking the enable box/ hit apply/ recheck the enable box/ hit okay & close. (Disable then re-enable the plug-in). Then I go back to the O screen, disable the route/ re-enable the route/ and hit the tracking button twice, then it goes back to normal operation following the plot line.

Let me know if I'm doing it wrong or if I can supply more info (maybe there's a log file?)

Other than this bug it seems to function quite well.
Old 12-06-2024, 00:43   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Welin View Post
Hi Douwe,
I think I may have found a bug. (Or possibly doing something wrong)

Following a route in tracking mode: The issue occurs when I put it into standby to steer around a log or something and then try to put it back on track. Which I generally do by steering back onto the track and then hitting the track button again.
You "hit the track button again". Which track button? The button on the Raymarine P70 control head (1) or the button on the AutotrackRaymarine plugin window on OpenCPN (2)?

I case of 1, this button on the control head has nothing to do with the plugin, this button will put the Raymarine pilot itself in track mode, not the plugin. For the plugin to function the Raymarine pilot should be in Auto mode. Then you push the auto button on the control head one more time, the plugin will see this and activate it's own tracking control.

In case of 2 (software button on the plugin window) function is identical to pushing auto again as above, tracking of the plugin is activated.
Additionally, on activating the tracking, the XTE is made zero. That means a new segment of the route is created from your location straight to the active waypoint.
Old 12-06-2024, 10:54   #80

Quote:
You "hit the track button again". Which track button? The button on the Raymarine P70 control head (1) or the button on the AutotrackRaymarine plugin window on OpenCPN (2)?

I case of 1, this button on the control head has nothing to do with the plugin, this button will put the Raymarine pilot itself in track mode, not the plugin. For the plugin to function the Raymarine pilot should be in Auto mode. Then you push the auto button on the control head one more time, the plugin will see this and activate it's own tracking control.

In case of 2 (software button on the plugin window) function is identical to pushing auto again as above, tracking of the plugin is activated.
Additionally, on activating the tracking, the XTE is made zero. That means a new segment of the route is created from your location straight to the active waypoint.
Hi Douwe, Yes after going into standby I "push the track button again" on the plugin expecting it to go back to tracking and it will start making a U Turn or go in some random direction like 90 degrees to the plot line. (Most often it's a U turn so I have to hurry and hit standby before we get in trouble). (I generally only operate it from the plugin not the Raymarine P70).

Then, once it's "lost", the only way to get AutoTrack back working is is disable/re-enable the plugin and deactivate/reactivate the route on OpenCPN. Then it performs perfectly again.

Quote:
**Additionally, on activating the tracking, the XTE is made zero. That means a new segment of the route is created from your location straight to the active waypoint.**
**I suspect this is where the bug is occuring. When it creates a new segment it's failing to use the active waypoint(?). It feels like it is trying to use the previously active point (the one we had passed recently instead of the now active one). (In that case I wonder if OpenCPN is failing to notify the correct WP?). (I'm too scared to let it run and find out where it's going). I'm using 5.8.4

ASIDE: It's good to know that it zeros the XTE when activated, that explains the fact that if we're not on the plot line when we hit tracking it will run parallel to it. I had expected it to correct and get back on the line. (This is not an issue just good information for other readers).
Old 13-06-2024, 02:34   #81

Rick,

I can not yet reproduce your issue. Re-activating AutoTrack (after previous use) should be exactly the same as initially activating AutoTrack. But somewhere something must be wrong. Logging does not help. But can you get me a screenprint of the plugin window (or all op OpenCPN) taken at the moment the system goes crazy?
Old 13-06-2024, 04:28   #82

Hi Douwe, for what it’s worth, I occasionally experience the same issue, but I usually retry a bit later and then it works fine.
I’ve tried to figure out when this happens. Not 100% sure but I suspect it occurs when I’m too far off course from the next waypoint when activating the tracking.
DukeOfAnkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 10:38   #83

Hi Douwe,

Yes, we're going on an extended journey starting on the 25th of this month (in 2 weeks) so I plan to do some more troubleshooting. It's helpful to know that it creates a new segment based on current position and active waypoint when re-starting tracking. I'll make sure to get back on the plot line before re-engaging tracking mode, but pretty sure I tried that too.

I'll try to get a screenshot but there's nothing visually different when it happens. I made sure to check that the correct waypoint was active and the tracking button on the plugin showed active etc. All looked fine. See below I'll reply to DukeOfAnkh as well.

Quote:
Rick,

I can not yet reproduce your issue. Re-activating AutoTrack (after previous use) should be exactly the same as initially activating AutoTrack. But somewhere something must be wrong. Logging does not help. But can you get me a screenprint of the plugin window (or all op OpenCPN) taken at the moment the system goes crazy?
Old 13-06-2024, 10:48   #84

I notice as a possible similarity in Duke's report that he says retrying a bit later usually works.

From my recollection I keep thinking that I was still closer to the old "just passed" waypoint than the next (active) one when it happens. It almost feels like there's a memory of that previous waypoint that gets cleared once you get closer to the active one than the previous one? (This could be happening in OpenCPN or on Seatalk/GPS or anywhere I'd think). I didn't have time test this theory last time. But will do so on the next outing starting the 25th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAnkh View Post
Hi Douwe, for what it’s worth, I occasionally experience the same issue, but I usually retry a bit later and then it works fine.
I’ve tried to figure out when this happens. Not 100% sure but I suspect it occurs when I’m too far off course from the next waypoint when activating the tracking.
Old 14-06-2024, 01:40   #85

Rick, Duke,

Yesterday I managed to reproduce something similar to your experience, intentionally steering off route, reactivating (auto plus auto), then strange heading to the pilot. I switched to standby, put the boat on course and the plugin worked fine again. But I had no chance to analyze anything, my OpenCPN display is inside.

The AutoTrack plugin is steering a heading (that is sending a heading to the autopilot) which is bearing to waypoint (BTW) + correction. The correction is to get to or stay on the track (route segment). This correction is default limited to 30 degrees. The plugin gets the BTW from OpenCPN. OpenCPN calculates this BTW based on the active waypoint. Doing something like a u-turn as Rick observed would only be possible if the BTW is wrongly calculated or a different waypoint than the expected one is active. So Rick, you conclusions make sense and I will further investigate this. Next week I will be at home where I have a simulation setup for testing the plugin. I hope to pinpoint the issue there.
Old 14-06-2024, 11:26   #86

Thanks Douwe!

At least I know I'm not crazy hahahahah. I look forward to hearing what you find. I quite enjoy being involved in the process.
Old 16-06-2024, 10:23   #87

One other thought I had is that most of my routes have been reversed at least once using the OpenCPN Reverse Route command, (right click and select reverse) and when it asks if I want to rename the order of the waypoints I say yes.

I reuse a lot of my routes and run both directions on them.

Next time out I'll try to remember to turn on show waypoint names and keep an eye on them for anomalies too.
Old 16-06-2024, 12:20   #88

Boat: Morgan 382

Has this plugin been tested with OCPN 5.9.1 Beta? I am using 5.9.1 Beta with YDWG-02 wireless gateway and can't get it to work. I first assume the issue is with the newly added support for NMEA2000 over Ethernet, but wonder about others experiences.

Edit:
Some more testing. I am able to use the plugin to Activate Auto Mode and Standby mode. However I can't enter Track mode, and if I try to enter track mode from the pilot head, I get the error "No Navigation Data."
Old 16-06-2024, 12:28   #89

Boat: Morgan 382

It also seems that OCPN crashes quite often with this plugin enabled. Every 5-10 minutes or so.
Old 16-06-2024, 13:40   #90

Quote:
Some more testing. I am able to use the plugin to Activate Auto Mode and Standby mode. However I can't enter Track mode, and if I try to enter track mode from the pilot head, I get the error "No Navigation Data."
I'm sure Douwe will correct me if I am mistaken.

My understanding is that the plugin does not use the Raymarine Track Mode.

When OpenCPN is navigating to a waypoint or following a route, the plugin engages Auto mode, performs its own steering calculations based on bearing and xte values from OpenCPN and adjusts the heading accordingly.

It does not generate PGN's 129283 (XTE) or 129284 (Navigation) messages, which is why selecting Track mode on the autopilot control head generates the "No Navigation Data" error.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, plug, plugin, raymarine