Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2019, 12:18   #16

Re: Acer computer running Chrome OS

Hint running OpenCPN on Linux
Use Lubuntu.

I know this isn't the right place to put this, but my old setup was an ancient
13 year old laptop. I replaced the operating system (OS) with Linux and ran the OPenCPN Linux version.

Instead of using the modern, bells and whistles versions of Linux, I used Lubuntu, which is really cut down and very efficient. OpenCPN runs the same whatever 'flavour' of Linux you're using, so you may as well run it on the most efficient platform.

Oh, it was paired with a USB GPS dongle, which worked 'out of the box' simply by plugging it in.
BigWhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 12:21   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And in fact can shoot yourself in the foot using the latest & greatest hardware, for best Linux compatibility especially stable versions, stick to hardware released a few years ago.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 19:42   #18

Dear John61CT,

Thanks for the response, I agree totally. My ancient 'over a decade old' Mac laptop running Lubuntu worked really well, it's just it used a LOT of power. Hence wanting to try a Chromebook.

OK, I've a feeling it might be a good idea to start up a new thread, 'Navigating using a Chromebook and cheap Android options'.

OK, I don't have a solution yet........

On OruxMaps on my phone, I've got custom maps working, with live GPS positioning. But it won't work on a Chromebook.

OpenCPN, clearly wonderful, but I haven't really got it working on the Chromebook properly.

These apps on Android/Chromebook work differently than on a modern laptop.

Chromebook is blisteringly fast and super efficient on power requirements. That is why I'm going to stick with it, plus £150 for a reliable, super fast computer!!!

MBTiles, the new format, brilliant too, well it works on the most recent OpenCPN for Windows, but not on Android, and therefore not on Chromebooks. I have a liking for MBTIles thanks to SASPlanet. Clearly I need to experiment around this.

I've now just realised that this email makes little sense, hence it being a good idea to create some kind of track record/Wiki on how to get decent custom mapping working on simple laptops.

Clearly need to get my finger out...

Jon
BigWhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 03:52   #19

Despite the speed of development of Chrome OS, they still have a lot to do to get such a monopoly on operating systems like Microsoft

Not many developers rush to make Chromebooks
Yes, and the developers of all of our favorite programs do not really like the appearance of another OS

Not all developers produce their programs even for the three most popular OSs (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
Old 17-08-2019, 09:25   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I run Linux on old Chromebooks, great combo
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote