Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 18:07   #16

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: android chart generator (plugin?) Free maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetil6 View Post
To build new, is cheaper than fixing. the survey plugin is out of question.

how the data gets to android, this is the big question.

Since the simrad s2009 has an ethernetport, I would go for a ethernet-usb adapter. Its cheap and does supply voltage.
I need more research about the simrad ethernet specifications.(I appreciate some useful links)
If you intend to use android I suggest bridging the ethernet to wifi with a router so you can have the phone plugged into a charger.

Honestly this problem sounds a lot better suited to a raspberry pi which already has ethernet.
Quote:
opencpn has a major speed problem.
Please give more details. We are continuing to improve this but specific feedback is needed.
Quote:
any additional processing, especially map generation, would slow down the functionality.
Logging and displaying the depths is minimal processing.

Actual chart generation can be performed later once all the data is collected so I don't see how this is an issue.
Quote:
I would rather suggest opencpn to interact with other apps, instead of other apps beeing implemented into the main program.
I was considering using the existing draw plugin to define an area to survey. Then the survey plugin could generate survey routes. The autopilot can be commanded to follow the route. The survey points can be seen on the actual chart, compared with satellite imagery. The tide can be compensated as well.

Doing all of this would require only few days work. Of course there are plenty of ways to improve it further, but you would rather start over and not use any of the existing work? Not sure how you will achieve the features I described.

I'll be doing this anyway at some point once I build a working "$20" depth sounder, but you could probably convince me to work on it sooner. I will be supporting generating survey routes based on wind angle for completely sail powered survey and much more.

Combining several surveys of the same area is a separate problem.

Generating the charts from the survey data is a separate problem.

Quote:
By building on android, one does not exclude other platforms. the chart data will be free and universal available and can be shared, stored and processed by any other available
It excludes other more suitable platforms like singleboard arm computers. The chinese orange pi zero cost $7 and has ethernet.

I don't want to exclude any platform from any part of the process.
Quote:
computer. Android phones can be used anywhere anytime to record depth data. Without the need of expensive additional hardware. Android development is cheap and the app will be ported to iOS and other hardware, if needed.

I will outsource the programming work and could need somebody, who has experience with rendering s 57 charts. (if you have experience with rendering charts, please pm me)
I have worked on the rendering code of s 57 charts on opencpn. It sounds like you need to generate s57 charts not render them, and this is not an easy problem to do well. If you end up with decent charts worth integrating it won't be cheap if you follow this route but I would be happy to be proven wrong.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, plug