Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2012, 22:59   #181

Boat: Chris Craft 260 Sunbridge
Re: Android Development Underway

Hi,

Manimaul... I have made the source compile. The project is a good learning experience for myself at any rate. Thank's again for providing the open source.

All the best for the work project!

RhythmDoctor... The $6.99 is more than worth the effort trust me... If it was not for my interest in having something on my BlackBerry PlayBook worth while for charting and I owned an Android of some sort... Well lets just say for all the maintenance of charts on line... Is more than worth it. Lets all try to remember Manimaul said it is a "hobby" for him.

Hejapofa... Thank's for the info... I am also a member there.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Jeep_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:13   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_YJ View Post
Hi,

Manimaul... I have made the source compile. The project is a good learning experience for myself at any rate. Thank's again for providing the open source.
Nice, how does it run on the Blackberry? And, do you need chart data? PM/email me and I can send you chart data if you need.

Will
Old 20-03-2012, 10:44   #183

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Will,
I don't see the upper Potomac area of DC. Is this my problem?

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:29   #184

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
Will,

Steve in Solomons MD
Mine shows all the way up to DC.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 07:56   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
Will,

Steve in Solomons MD
Steve, REGION_04 covers the area in detail up to DC. Further inland on the Potomac, NOAA does publish RNC cartography. MX Mariner groups chart REGIONS according to how NOAA groups them on this page. Every single NOAA raster chart NOAA publishes is included in each MX Mariner REGION.

Thanks Family Cruisers for answering also.

Will
Old 22-03-2012, 08:01   #186

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Thanks to both of you, will try a reload.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 21:27   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Nice, how does it run on the Blackberry? And, do you need chart data? PM/email me and I can send you chart data if you need.

Will
Hi Manimaul,

Thank you for the offer... Charts are not a problem at this time... I will PM you, if I have a problem converting them. I would like give that a try first.

I am just working through some warnings... That do not prevent a compile... But need looking into.

Well I applied for "Bing Keys"... I compiled the source and made an unsigned APK and ran it in the emulator for the android. For the BlacKBerry PlayBook... I had already applied for "Keys" to sign the converted APK to a BAR file... So after conversion... I side loaded the BAR file.

Runs like a charm! I believe all the firmware options within the git code are functioning very well at first glance.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Old 23-03-2012, 05:26   #188

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Man, you guys are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy smart!!!!!

Speaking of the Potomac, how far can you sail up there? Never have plotted it out, lots of bridges, but have never even looked at heights.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 05:41   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Man, you guys are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy smart!!!!!

Speaking of the Potomac, how far can you sail up there? Never have plotted it out, lots of bridges, but have never even looked at heights.
14th Street Bridge (that's what they called it in the '70s when I was growing up there - not sure what they call it now) is 18 ft vertical. Can't even get a daysailer under it.

I rented a Flying Scot around there a couple years ago. I was hoping to sail up to see the yachts along Maine Avenue, but the wind died and I barely got to the airport.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 05:46   #190

Have been following with interest for a few weeks now.

Is the BAR file available for others to use?

I'm conscious that it is a paid for app.

Rgds
AndyBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:16   #191

I have the kap files for the areas that I want; I need to know how to set up the path in the Chart Import Root so that the app can import the kap files. It's looking for an sdcard which the Playbook doesn't have. It seems that despite that, the app can access the main memory, but when I enter a subfolder in the path, I get the message that the path doesn't exist. The Playbook won't let me add the kap files to the root folder.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Robspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 10:56   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBa View Post
Have been following with interest for a few weeks now.

Is the BAR file available for others to use?

I'm conscious that it is a paid for app.

Rgds
Hi AndyBa,

I think that would be up to Manimaul... As a person that putters away at this source... Well giving the finished product away is defeating the purpose. I believe Manimaul as a developer is encouraging people to learn how... That is the main purpose of open source, a learning tool.

I would gladly help anyone setup a project having said the above. Keep in mind firstly that the source released is some what delayed... In other words it won't do everything a current release does. There is no access to the map server for NOAA charts in QEMF format. In fact you need "Keys" for the use of Bing Maps, the base street view or satellite view and they have limitations on "Key" use at Microsoft.

Which brings us to the next problem faced... The importing of charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robspan View Post
I have the kap files for the areas that I want; I need to know how to set up the path in the Chart Import Root so that the app can import the kap files. It's looking for an sdcard which the Playbook doesn't have. It seems that despite that, the app can access the main memory, but when I enter a subfolder in the path, I get the message that the path doesn't exist. The Playbook won't let me add the kap files to the root folder.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hi Robspan,

I have to ask Robspan... Do you also have the source compiled and converted to a BAR file?

The BlackBerry PlayBook has access to the same folder under (and I would have to check) Misc folder, in the data files section which you can access from any computer. I have not got that far yet as I have only looked at what is needed to convert the BSB/KAP charts, also provided generously by Manimaul in open source. They must be converted to load in QEMF file format.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Old 25-03-2012, 12:14   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_YJ View Post
I think that would be up to Manimaul... As a person that putters away at this source... Well giving the finished product away is defeating the purpose. I believe Manimaul as a developer is encouraging people to learn how... That is the main purpose of open source, a learning tool.
Hi,

I actually ment the above post to say I am the one puttering away here with code not Manimaul and it's my opinion... "As a person" can be misread as to who, and it is referring to myself.

Edit button disappears very quickly... If you leave page for a second.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Old 25-03-2012, 12:24   #194

Hi Jeep,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm new to the Playbook. As I understand it, a bar file can be used to load an Android app into the Playbook. Marine Navigator Lite loaded fine and it accesses the gps but it won't load the chart files because it apparently doesn't see either the true file system or the path is wrong.

I was hoping that someone on this thread would know the answer. The Playbook sure would make a handy chartplotter.
Robspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 16:53   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robspan View Post
Hi Jeep,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm new to the Playbook. As I understand it, a bar file can be used to load an Android app into the Playbook. Marine Navigator Lite loaded fine and it accesses the gps but it won't load the chart files because it apparently doesn't see either the true file system or the path is wrong.

I was hoping that someone on this thread would know the answer. The Playbook sure would make a handy chartplotter.
Hi Robspan,

This I can help you with as I have that one loaded from the App Store on PlayBook also... Check your directory structure in PlayBook:
Code:
misc\android\BSB_ROOT\

14500.BSB
14500.KAP
For example that is what I see in my directory... I'm sure you have an empty directory.

Copy your BSB/KAP charts in that directory of "BSB_ROOT"... For every BSB file there should I think be a matching KAP file... Copy them as pairs in that directory using computer and start Marine Navigator Lite... Then swipe down on top of screen to see "Import" and select the ones you wish to import and Marine Navigator Lite will import them. Using the two arrows in corner only changes already imported files... Mentioned here because to switch from background chart you need this to load imported charts. When you swipe down... You should also see a rather good help section.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ

Tags
paracelle