Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 19:33   #196

Re: Android Development Underway

Jeep_YJ

Nice work on getting everything compiled and running on Blackberry. I'm interested in how the .gemf creation works out for you. You'll probably find that it takes quite a bit of power and/or time for you computer to complete a large group of charts. Initially all the NOAA charts took a machine an entire week, but the newer tools (on github...I will continue to keep these up to date) will take 1 day to process all 2000+ NOAA charts. (i7 2600k and 12GB Ram)

Anyhow, if you run into any problems, don't hesitate to ask. I'm planning on creating a user friendly GUI for people to turn their own charts into .gemf files... probably with WXPython. If you're interested in working on this also let me know as it will be open source also. The only posible limiting factor in the future going forward is supporting BSB4 as it's restrictive licensing would prohibit open source. That's why I've chosen the BSD license, so we can have proprietary bits also to support these kinds of things... also Active Captain.

W
Old 27-03-2012, 06:58   #197

Jeep_YJ,
Thanks again for your reply.
I copied quite a few bsb and kap files (matched) to the misc/android/BSB_ROOT folder.
I still get the same error message: IMPORT CHART ROUTE does not exist.
I setup the BSB_ROOT subfolder under misc/android
Under Settings....Chart Import Root I entered misc/android/BSB_ROOT. Also sdcard/misc/android/BSB_ROOT. Also /misc/android/BSB_ROOT
Also /sdcard/misc/android/BSB_ROOT
Essentially, every combination I could think of. All of them gave me the same message.
In your post, your example used the backslash \ but the Playbook keyboard and the default path in Marine Navigator Lite use the frontslash /.
Any suggestions? TIA.
Robspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 23:13   #198

Boat: Chris Craft 260 Sunbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Jeep_YJ

Nice work on getting everything compiled and running on Blackberry. I'm interested in how the .gemf creation works out for you. You'll probably find that it takes quite a bit of power and/or time for you computer to complete a large group of charts. Initially all the NOAA charts took a machine an entire week, but the newer tools (on github...I will continue to keep these up to date) will take 1 day to process all 2000+ NOAA charts. (i7 2600k and 12GB Ram)

Anyhow, if you run into any problems, don't hesitate to ask.
Hi Manimaul,

Thanks... Still working on that... Haven't had the time lately to complete the task. Near the end of next week I'll start having more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
I'm planning on creating a user friendly GUI for people to turn their own charts into .gemf files... probably with WXPython. If you're interested in working on this also let me know as it will be open source also. The only posible limiting factor in the future going forward is supporting BSB4 as it's restrictive licensing would prohibit open source. That's why I've chosen the BSD license, so we can have proprietary bits also to support these kinds of things... also Active Captain.

W
I am interested... I will watch for that project. That sort of program with a user friendly interface is more than overdue.

I am currently looking at some open source code... For loading BSB/KAP charts in java and is based on a tile system.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Jeep_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 23:53   #199

Boat: Chris Craft 260 Sunbridge

Hi Robspan,

I will PM you tomorrow... We are hijacking a thread here as this continues, but we need to get your problem solved. Watch you personal messages here later to day or tomorrow. I don't have my PlayBook with me at the moment.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Jeep_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23   #200

Hi Jeep_YJ,

I am having same issue as RobSpan. Please keep me apprised on a fix.
YJ owner as well as various keelboats, Uffa Fox planing dinghy.
nwyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 13:51   #201

I have Le Pan 2 and would like to have OpenCPN on my tablet. I have the all_RNC in my external 16G flash drive. If you need testing, I will help.
I had some problems with installing on PCLOS ( the best distro), but I have it running. Thanks.
I am not shure if I have correct email. It should be janusz@jestarkel.net
I had to restore the system and lost some info.
dupek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:38   #202

Am about to leave for a trip from Nydri to Thessalonika. Will take take a Netbook loaded with OpenCPN + charts and the Playbook. I'm happy to field test a Playbook compatible version of MXMariner.
hejapofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:55   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiradical View Post
Please excuse the ignorance but I'm not sure I understand the SD card issue. With most Android devices quite capable of handling 16 or 32gb SDHC cards surely it's not a problem to store whatever charts wanted in the same format as OpenCPN, i.e I don't see any advantage using OpenCPN as a 'chart server'

With class 6 or 10 cards I suspect the access time reading from card would be faster than Wifi anyway.

It's also interesting to note that the CPU power of many Android devices is at alelvel that would have been seen as quite a powerful PC in 2000......

To reiterate my plea of a few mails back, CM93 is little over !gb, I can load it on my Android phone's card easily, I'd absolutely love a nav program that could display it there.......just imagine worldwide charts in the palm of your hand.....
I have Lepan tablet with 5g internal and 16G external storage. 1.2G dual core cpu. 1g memory. It is enough to run opencpn with all the charts in it.
Well, I can not run opencpn on my android tablet.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Yes, of course Steven , I was also talking about cheap and affordable waterproof daylight tablets.
I really really really see a promising market for that.

But then again , it's all about how long you're willing to wait before buying .
The pioneers (customers) pay the development costs is it not ?

Kind regards
I saw waterproof tablet at AT@T store today for $329 with 4G
Old 06-04-2012, 12:56   #205

Just purchase for my Lepan 2 tablet. Downloading maps(region 7) and see how it work. I still love the opencpn and have it on my laptop running happy under Linux PCLOS. I have difficulty as my wi-fi is dropping the signal. I downloaded some converting software and will try some.
To bad, that I can not download from my desctop. It would be a lot faster.
Old 06-04-2012, 13:52   #206

After 6 trials, I give up the download for a while. It get to%45-%55 and quits. I am watching the wi-fi bar and did not shows lost connection. Can you add like download manager. In case of lost signal, it should re-download the remaining part. How about post a link to server so we can download trough broadband. No dropping signal there. If you need a space, I got plenty on my server, that I do not use it and pay for it. I am willing to give to you the ftp access. I have "hard time" to locate a conversion software. I downloaded 2 days ago all from noaa.
Old 06-04-2012, 14:18   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly47roger View Post
You can download MAPC2MAPC and try it for free - it just adds red Xs onto the map until you register.
I downloaded the mapc2mapc, but do not recognize the chart downloaded from noaa. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-04-2012, 06:53   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupek View Post
After 6 trials, I give up the download for a while. It get to%45-%55 and quits. I am watching the wi-fi bar and did not shows lost connection. Can you add like download manager. In case of lost signal, it should re-download the remaining part. How about post a link to server so we can download trough broadband. No dropping signal there. If you need a space, I got plenty on my server, that I do not use it and pay for it. I am willing to give to you the ftp access. I have "hard time" to locate a conversion software. I downloaded 2 days ago all from noaa.
dupek,

The server is professionally hosted at a data center and fast. I suspect this is a connection issue on your end. However, I have been considering adding download manager type functionality with resumable downloads. I'll put some serious thought into this. In the mean time, PM or email me and I'll take care of you.

Thanks,

Will
Old 07-04-2012, 07:17   #209

The strange is that I can download a game 42Mb from app store and never had any problems. I did had a problem connecting to my router in morning hours, but as of this time, I am downloading the angry birds game(41Mb) and is going good. So far, I downloaded around 100MB with no problems.
I will give a shot today and see what happen. Will let you know. The download manager would be great for large file. At present time, I have access to LAN with high speed, but in few days I am going back to my boat and will have week wi-fi there. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:38   #210

Got the map. I went to donkin doughnuts and downloaded fine with only half the connection bar that shows at my home router. It is my router, that is messing up. I got the section 7 for now. Works great. Thanks.

Tags
paracelle