Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 17:56   #286

Boat: Pearson 35
Re: Android Development Underway

Hi Will. I used MX Mariner to navigate from NC to FL and really liked it. Now I'm heading to the Bahamas and am having trouble finding the charts online. (Forgive me if this has been addressed previously here--I searched for "Bahamas" but didn't look through each post.) Does MX Mariner support Bahamian charts, and if so, where do I get them?

Thanks so much. And thanks for developing this app--it's really great on my Nexus 7.
Lutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06   #287

Will....Finally got around to loading some gpx files to mxmariner without success. I emailed the routes to mx and they were put into the 'download' file. I tried 'opening' them per the instructions, but no app I tried would recognize them. I'm on a nexus 7 and far from proficient with android.

I was able to move them into the mx gpx file by attaching the N7 to the pc. They transferred ok, but there are no waypoints....normal?

Love the program.

Thanks,

Bruce
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 13:35   #288

Bruce,

Apologies for the delay getting back with you. I check my email more often than this thread though if you need quick help.

As for the gpx / Mx Mariner file association: Some things have changed in regard to this on later versions of Android. I'll take a look at this. You can always copy gpx files to the mxmariner/gpx directory on your device also.

Thanks,

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
Will....Finally got around to loading some gpx files to mxmariner without success. I emailed the routes to mx and they were put into the 'download' file. I tried 'opening' them per the instructions, but no app I tried would recognize them. I'm on a nexus 7 and far from proficient with android.

I was able to move them into the mx gpx file by attaching the N7 to the pc. They transferred ok, but there are no waypoints....normal?

Love the program.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 14-12-2012, 13:45   #289

Lutra,

No Bahamas charts downloadable with MX yet. However, I'm currently working with the UKHO to bring some UK, Ireland and the Channel Is. charts into MX. If that works out well then Canada and then the Caribbean will most likely come next.

The UKHO will require me to encrypt the data and link it to specific users as well as charge each user / region. People who end up purchasing data from the UKHO through MX will get free chart updates for 1 year.

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutra View Post
Hi Will. I used MX Mariner to navigate from NC to FL and really liked it. Now I'm heading to the Bahamas and am having trouble finding the charts online. (Forgive me if this has been addressed previously here--I searched for "Bahamas" but didn't look through each post.) Does MX Mariner support Bahamian charts, and if so, where do I get them?

Thanks so much. And thanks for developing this app--it's really great on my Nexus 7.
Old 14-12-2012, 13:47   #290

Will....The delay is not a problem. I got the routes ok by transferring them from the pc directly. The question really relates to the lack of any waypoints in the routes...they appear very nicely on the Nexus 7 (android 4.2) but are just one long plot...distance-to-go will be quite large.

Thanks, Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Bruce,

Apologies for the delay getting back with you. I check my email more often than this thread though if you need quick help.

As for the gpx / Mx Mariner file association: Some things have changed in regard to this on later versions of Android. I'll take a look at this. You can always copy gpx files to the mxmariner/gpx directory on your device also.

Thanks,

Will
Old 14-12-2012, 13:55   #291

Bruce,

Yes, right now route features are very basic. Individual waypoints along the routes are not represented visually with an icon or mark. However, when routes are activated, range and bearing is displayed as each waypoint is traversed. Route features will be expanded to include editable points in routes, more active route display data and some basic route planning features. I'm trying to move slow in the progression of features and only add ones that seem necessary for navigation meanwhile keeping MX lean.

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
Will....The delay is not a problem. I got the routes ok by transferring them from the pc directly. The question really relates to the lack of any waypoints in the routes...they appear very nicely on the Nexus 7 (android 4.2) but are just one long plot...distance-to-go will be quite large.

Thanks, Bruce
Old 14-12-2012, 15:02   #292

Here are a couple new features I've been working on with accompanying screenshots.

1 - Cursor info box will now show chart depths
2 - Active tracks will display average speed and total distance
3 - Cursor can be queried to see chart information

Old 14-12-2012, 15:46   #293

Boat: On the Hard

If Im not mistaken that is a vector chart no? ....

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 17:35   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailias View Post
If Im not mistaken that is a vector chart no? ....

/ch
It is a raster chart. I ran into a couple roadblocks on the vector front and decided to give it a break for a short bit and work on other stuff. I will say that I've been in communication with Gene over at Polar Navy about the possibility of using the Polar Navy as an engine for s57 and s63 charts. And, depending on performance, this could also include BSB 3 and 4 direct support. Of course this is all rumor .

Will
Old 14-12-2012, 18:34   #295

Boat: On the Hard

OK....Ive started a new piggy bank.... This one is for adult boat toys...

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 03:40   #296

Thanks Will....haven't had a chance to actually fly a route yet...glad to hear the waypoints are there and being used...perfect. The plan sounds good.

Bruce,

Yes, right now route features are very basic. Individual waypoints along the routes are not represented visually with an icon or mark. However, when routes are activated, range and bearing is displayed as each waypoint is traversed. Route features will be expanded to include editable points in routes, more active route display data and some basic route planning features. I'm trying to move slow in the progression of features and only add ones that seem necessary for navigation meanwhile keeping MX lean.

Will
Old 18-12-2012, 06:23   #297

Boat: Steel, Regina, Holland, 8.70

Hi Will,

Why couldn't I create custom chart with MXCart from a NOAA (Med) chart ?

I tried to create 2 charts from NOAA (of Mediterranean) raster (kap), but I could not: Program forced to close just after I run. The message on the black window was 1 of 2... Also one file created, named the same of the two raster kap charts but extensin was .wrt, in the the targeted folder.

Hasan
boraxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 06:49   #298

Which operating system are you on? I'm guessing that the problem is most likely that MX Cart on Windows (for the time being) is 64bit only.

I will fix the installer to not install on 32bit Windows next release.

Thanks,

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by boraxtr View Post
Hi Will,

Why couldn't I create custom chart with MXCart from a NOAA (Med) chart ?

I tried to create 2 charts from NOAA (of Mediterranean) raster (kap), but I could not: Program forced to close just after I run. The message on the black window was 1 of 2... Also one file created, named the same of the two raster kap charts but extensin was .wrt, in the the targeted folder.

Hasan
Old 18-12-2012, 07:07   #299

Boat: Steel, Regina, Holland, 8.70

Quote:
Which operating system are you on? I'm guessing that the problem is most likely that MX Cart on Windows (for the time being) is 64bit only.

I will fix the installer to not install on 32bit Windows next release.
Mine is netbook, win7 32 bit.

OK then I will waite the next version

Hasan
boraxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 11:37   #300

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Great work, Will!

I lately switched from Fugawi to OpenCPN on my laptop pc and use iNavX on my iphone 4S. I was really hoping for a OCPN port to iOS since iNavX does not support loading charts from my PC. Plus I just wanted to standardize to just one charting program. Then I saw the thread on installing OCPN on a droid, so I went out and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and went back to actually read the thread, and saw that it was not exactly a no-brainer. My Google-** is strong enough that I was able to find Marine Navigator, OffNav, Navionics, Memory Map, and a few other Droid apps that more or less suck for features, and also your MXMariner app. Been playing with it for a couple of days now, mostly comparing it to Marine Navigator.

I have to say, I think the convenience of being able to work directly with raster and vector charts is worth the slight performance penalty, compared to the *.gemf files. Of course this is from the perspective of one who has just bought a brand new Droid tablet with a fair amount of processor power. Maybe the thing to do is let the user decide during installation whether he will use *.gemf files or loose charts, based on the device capabilities and his preferences? This, to me is a major issue, since I occasionally sail foreign in real life, and always do so in my professional life. If I was never going to leave U.S. waters, the freely available NOAA rasters, compiled into gemf files, would be just fine. Well, I have a fairly comprehensive collection of other charts I have collected over the last few years, and it would be nice to be able to load them directly without fiddling around with conversion to a format that none of my other electronic chart navigation tools recognize. I will of course try out your MX Cart on my laptop, but I will be grumbling about it constantly, I suppose.

I would like to see customizable images for waypoint marks, and toggle visible on/off for waypoints that are part of a route.

It would be nice to be able to manually select a chart and resolution for a particular spot, too. A lot of times I have noticed that while zooming in or out, legends or borders or blank areas of the raster chart cover up a location on an underlying layer! GRRRRRRR!!!!! Happens on Lake Pontchartrain in an area I traverse when entering or leaving my marina, for one place.

I was quite pleased at how easy it was to import my gpx files. Nice. I got quite a few routes that I didn't want to have to re-do from scratch, especially without a mouse. My fingertip doesn't give me the kind of resolution I want. So it is nice to be able to plan a route in OpenCPN on the laptop, and save to gpx and import into MX Mariner.

I have been dragging my heels on going Droid, because my jailbroke iphone is such a supremely capable device, with an incredible display that I can see okay out in the cockpit. Now, spoiled me, is gonna have to root the Droid, I guess, but I think in the end I will like it. So far I am finding a lot to be satisfied about with it, as I get more familiar with the device and with the OS. Between your app, and Marine Navigator, I have two decent choices for a chart app. I will be following your progress with great interest. Again, nice work, and thanks for letting it go for such an affordable price.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle