Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2022, 06:46   #1

Android not free?

On a different site there was a discussion about why the Android version is not free?
My guess was that the Android version requires extra work, so someone is doing it "as a job".
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 08:10   #2

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon
Re: Android not free?

If the Ocpn developers have found an acceptable way to monetize their effort then i personally am OK with that - I have happily purchased the Android version (althoigh I use free Linux version on the boat.)
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 08:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
On a different site there was a discussion about why the Android version is not free?
My guess was that the Android version requires extra work, so someone is doing it "as a job".
There are up-front costs and extra work required to properly release an Android app on a trusted platform like Google Play, versus self-releasing a Windows, Mac or Linux application.

And I agree with Mark; it's hard to begrudge the developers of OpenCPN a modest revenue stream, if it helps sustain their efforts to make OpenCPN pretty awesome for all users.
Old 15-07-2022, 09:08   #4

I don't think people were upset about it not being free, I think the question was more about why it was free on Windows and Linux, but not on Android.

It is of course completely up to the developers to do what they want and it is nice if current and previous developers get compensated for the work they have done. Having participated in several open source projects I am a little curious how they have set up the monetization of this software. Is it a foundation or a limited company. If a limited company how do developers get shares in this company?
Old 15-07-2022, 11:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Spurs...
In the spirit of full disclosure...

No foundation, no LLC, no partnership.
The revenue from Playstore comes to me, personally. It is not a large amount.
It is spent on Android specific development tools (I currently maintain 22 Android devices in my test zoo), and on other related expenses including high speed internet access, maintenance of the OpenCPN website, domain registration, various cloud storage schemes, etc. Also included are the tools needed for full cross platform development of OCPN, including several linux machines, 3 Windows machines, and 4 Macs, including a new M1.
There is not a lot left over at the end of the day.

Hope this helps
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 11:48   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

Thanks Dave, we really appreciate the effort. After using the "free" version for a season I gladly paid for the real version. Rather do that then have ads popping up like most other free apps.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 12:38   #7

Dave,
As you see from my original post this was my guess.
Someone posted that the developers had decided to monetize OpenCPN and this is what I found strange. To monetize an open source project in any fair way is extremely difficult for obvious reasons.