Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2023, 17:57   #1

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Android OpenCPN can't read Dropbox

For navigation I am running a Samsung tablet with the paid version of OpenCPN, and it works great! Except for one thing, I cannot read dropbox folders on it, so I cannot easily transfer routes I made on OpenCPN on my PC to the tablet, I have to do it manually via a USB.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 18-01-2023, 19:21   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Android OpenCPN can't read Dropbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
For navigation I am running a Samsung tablet with the paid version of OpenCPN, and it works great! Except for one thing, I cannot read dropbox folders on it, so I cannot easily transfer routes I made on OpenCPN on my PC to the tablet, I have to do it manually via a USB.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
That is a limitation of the Android operating system. Apps can only access files in their own sandbox. There is no fix, only workarounds. One workaround might be to use a filemanager app to copy files out of the Dropbox folders into the OpenCPN folders, but I've not tried it.
Old 18-01-2023, 19:44   #3

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'
Re: Android OpenCPN can't read Dropbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
That is a limitation of the Android operating system. Apps can only access files in their own sandbox. There is no fix, only workarounds. One workaround might be to use a filemanager app to copy files out of the Dropbox folders into the OpenCPN folders, but I've not tried it.

I was afraid of that, although I thought they could access a common documents folder?

Probably me best bet is just going to be to buy the IP67 display I have been looking at and install it at the helm with a Latte Panda inside the boat handing the software running windows.

Then it will be a non issue. All it takes is money! $$$$

Tags
enc, opencpn