Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 04:39   #1

Angry Android OpenCPN not recognizing internal GPS

Good day

I purchased the android version of OpenCPN from Google Play Store, and installed it on my tablet (a Fujitsu Stylistic M532). All works fine except the GPS. The tablet has an internal GPS which works perfectly well with other GPS software I installed (e.g. GPS Waypoints Navigator).
On OpenCPN my GPS status indicator (top right) is red.
Data Connections tab shows it is using the Internal GPS and it is "On".
Any help to get OpenCPN to recognize and use the location data from the tablet's internal GPS will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Andrew
ahoniball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:46   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Android OpenCPN not recognizing internal GPS

ahoniball,
It can take awhile to get a fix. How long are you waiting? It takes time for Opencpn to get a fix because the gps is being restarted...If you are using another app to "warm the gps up" or to ensure it works, it does not necessarily speed up Opencpn's connection to it.
And, do you have a clear view of the sky?
This may be "obvious" and even irritating help, but it has to be reiterated by someone, so it might as well be a seagull ...

Opencpn-A will show green bars on the gps indicator when there is a satellite "fix".

...Not a problem in your instance, but "O-A" will also complain on startup if it doesn't find a gps to connect to.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:37   #3

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I have been using GPS Status to get a fast fix, and then starting opencpn android, and it seems to help speed up connection. GPS Status is very fast in acquiring, highly reccomended.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 14:01   #4

Boat: Richter 42

On my android (Asus TF101 tablet with latest KatKiss rom) OCPN does not work with the internal GPS. In the monitor connections window it only shows messages like:
Code:
(virtual:)  $PGLOR,1,SAT,G31,030,1F,G04,034,1F,G22,022,1F,G32,029,1F,G14,027,1F,G11,030,1F,G01,030,1F,G19....
The GPS icon at the top right shows that the GPS is working. GPSStatus shows a fix, just OCPN does not seem to be receiving (or seeing) the gps location data.

Other applications like Oziexplorer work well with the GPS.

Jon
jongough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 15:31   #5

This is too bad because Asus has an internal gps and is a reasonable price. Hope bdcat can fix it.
Old 07-10-2015, 19:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

jongough....

Please post your OpenCPN Android query/issue over on the Commercial Posts Forum, and I will respond.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:04   #7

Dave,
I am still running the last beta software as I am not really in a position to get and test the released version until I finish the current cruise. I just wanted to support the fact that the internal GPS on my android does not appear to work with the last beta. I will try again when I get back to harbour and have time and the internet connection to test the released version.

Jon
Old 08-10-2015, 05:06   #8

Thanks for the replies. Still no luck in getting it to work. I waited at least 30 mins for the OpenCPN to get GPS data. I don't even get the three green bars that are supposed to show the satellite data. I also installed GPS Status application, and it works well and gets a location fix fast.

Some more info:
The Android Open CPN version I installed is 1.0.0. Is that the latest stable Android version available? Base version 4.1.915. Build date 2015-09-15
My Android version is 4.1.1.

I am attaching two photos of my "Connections" tab. Apologies for the poor quality. I don't know how to make a screen shot on an Android tablet, so I took photos :-)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151007_151428.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	110636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151007_151457.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	110637  

Old 08-10-2015, 09:21   #9

ahoniball, your settings look fine. Same as mine on three android versions starting with 4.0. Samsung,Lenovo and Acer but no fujitsu with 4.1 android. ...I usually get fix within 5 minutes even where clouds are low, rocks and trees are close so half an hour is certainly too long.

I can suggest you close any running /recent apps...IE: it is the case on computers that Opencpn wants solitary access to the gps...not known to me exactly if this is the case on android but.... also delve into the settings of those gps apps....try to get them to not run when "location" is on. Also, I have mine set up to NOT use cell towers and Not to communicate to the Borg-google where I am Saves power (Wifi is off) but also eliminates some possibilities of other software interfering..
Screen grabs are a combination of power button and volume down OR power button and HOME key on my devices. Hold the two buttons until you see or hear the screengrab .
Old 08-10-2015, 12:54   #10

ahoniball, can you check the 'Show NMEA Messges' check box in the 'settings/connections' window then click 'OK'. What messages are you seeing in the messages window that is now showing over the top of the OCPN window. I gave an example message in a previous message which showed that I was not getting any location information from the GPS only that there were satellites being tracked. What does yours show?

To get rid of this screen go back into 'settings/connections' and uncheck the 'Show NMEA Message' check box.

Thanks
Jon
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33   #11

Once again, thanks for the replies. I tried it with all other applications closed. Launched OpenCPN first thing after rebooting the tablet.

I get no data in the "Show NMEA Debug Window". Just the legend.

What I have noticed is that, after OpenCPN is started, the status bar on the tablet shows the usual circle with a flashing dot in the middle to indicate that it is "Searching for GPS". After a short while (maybe one minute) it changes to a circle with a solid dot. If I click on that is says "Location set by GPS". This indicates to me that OpenCPN is starting the internal GPS and requesting it to find the location, but OpenCPN is not receiving anything back from the GPS.

While "Searching for GPS" no green bars in OpenCPN and nothing appears in the NMEA debug window.

Thanks.

Andrew
Old 09-10-2015, 06:15   #12

Perhaps try download and run free GPS Status from mobiewia and try running it concurrently with Opencpn. Take note if anything is not working on GPS Status. It is something I would do first but no assurance it would work.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:51   #13

ahoniball,
How about looking at the "opencpn.log"? It opens as a text file so choose the appropriate app when asked....The log will have some message about the gps. Opencpn writes a new log when started so results of any "test" you make are only visible in a transitory way....you needn't quote the whole thing here online but juicy bits might be helpful, if you choose. The whole log (if you choose) can be attached to your post by changing it's ".log" appellation to ".doc"
IF you have used the android system option to move the app to sd card, you will find the log in this folder /Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn/files

If nothing found at that location, you can move opencpn to sd card for easier access, and/or/also humour me and look for an opencpn folder by itself on the internal sd card -there may be one....

If you still can't find thisyou will perhaps need a better file explorer. Folders with a dot ahead of them are deemed hidden on Android.You will not get to /root without rooting but the sd cards are usually accessible from the device or a usb computer connection

Thanks for struggling on. This is how improvements are made!
Old 09-10-2015, 13:37   #14

From computer doing a search on "Opencpn":
Computer\SCH-I545\Card\Android\data\org.opencpn.opencpn
Computer\SCH-I545-Ned\Phone\Android\data\org.opencpn.opencpn\files

I found opencpn.log under the second location and the navobj.xml files.
But I did not see and could not find the opencpn.ini file or the other files.
Is something hidden?

Earlier I moved the charts to
Computer\SCH-I545-Ned\Card\Charts
and reset the chart path in settings for chartdwnldr and charts.

It may be better to try to do the search from within Android App.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:23   #15

Wow. I wonder if there is something like NavMonPC in the android world that would provide a reliable data stream to opencpn? Does android have com ports? Will virtual com ports work? If there was such a program it might be worth trying it.

Of course it would be so much preferable to have O just recieve gps.

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn