Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2024, 00:53   #1

Boat: O&K, Custom, 31 m
Android radar plugin and missing data on signalK

Hello!

I am using opencpn for a long time on my pc, and I am really a fan of the app.

Now I started with it on a Android Tablet and want to get the HALO 24 Radar running. On the windows version it works great.
Is there no radar plugin available? I posted this question already on bigdumboat forum but could not get an answer.

Usually I am using opencpn with SignalK data from a Rpi4 with Pican M Hat. This all works great only true wind is not calculated automatically. By chance I found out that this feature works when I connect opencpn to the actisense NGT-1USB and change the connection properties from signalK to NMEA2000. Does anybody know why, and maybe what to do to get the true wind data also via signalK?
Wishing a good weekend!
sycrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 04:26   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Android radar plugin and missing data on signalK

There is no radar plugin for Android, as you already know from not seeing any. There is no plan to port it to Android neither, probably mainly because of the lack of wired network connectivity.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 04:51   #3

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycrumble View Post
Usually I am using opencpn with SignalK data from a Rpi4 with Pican M Hat. This all works great only true wind is not calculated automatically. By chance I found out that this feature works when I connect opencpn to the actisense NGT-1USB and change the connection properties from signalK to NMEA2000. Does anybody know why, and maybe what to do to get the true wind data also via signalK?
Wishing a good weekend!
The inbound true wind calculation is dependent on a true heading or magnetic heading and enabled WMM plugin.
Are there any differences with the heading reception between your two mentioned connections?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 04:55   #4

No, absolutely no difference. I am sure because I have only one heading source...
Old 22-06-2024, 05:05   #5

Ok, another check then:
Open a Dashboard and add the instruments "True HDG" and "Mag HDG" and see if you get them on both connections.
Old 22-06-2024, 07:39   #6

Is the OP asking about True Wind Speed and True Wind Angle or True Wind Direction ?

As the wind transducer supplies SignalK with data that generates environment/wind/speedApparent and environment/wind/angleApparent wouldn't the OP require the SignalK Server Derived Data plugin to calculate True Wind Angle, True Wind Speed or True Wind Direction?

From a quick perusal of the Dashboard Plugin, it appears that it only populates True Wind Speed and True Wind Angle gauges using SignalK from either environment/wind/speedTrue, environment/wind/speedOverGround, environment/wind/angleTrueWater and environment/wind/angleTrueGround all which I believe require the SignalK Derived Data plugin.

It's not clear to me whether the Dashboard plugin can calculate True Wind Angle and True Wind Speed from Apparent Wind Angle, Apparent Wind Speed and Speed through Water. It seems to do so using Speed Over Ground instead of Speed through Water, I think there is a checkbox option for this ? I guess that a discussion about using STW vs SOG opens up a whole ideological debate.

Neither True Wind Angle nor True Wind Speed should require a heading as they are all relative to the vessel.

BTW, I personally hate the terminology, me thinks it should be Apparent Wind Speed, Apparent Wind Angle, Real Wind Angle, Real Wind Speed (all measured relative to the vessel) and True/Magnetic Wind Direction, measured relative to True or Magnetic North. But who am I to argue with hundreds of years of usage.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 11:18   #7

I put 2 screenshots, one with signalk connection enabled and one with actisense ngt connection enabled.
And i added the extra dashboard even with some more stuff included to see the difference...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngt.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	291207   Click image for larger version

Name:	sk.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	291208  

Old 22-06-2024, 23:50   #8

Interesting..
The prioritization logic in Dashboard to switch to the inbound calculation of true wind is there are no source including data for true wind.
Since it's not switched while you are connected to SignalK my hypothesis is there are some kind of undefined data but no real values. Also called "NAN". Sometimes in the program the "NAN" is neglected but for true wind unfortunately not.

Could you look in Signalk's Data Browser for the values of:
"environment.wind.angleTrueWater" (or "environment.wind.angleTrueGround")
and
"environment.wind.speedTrue" (or "environment.wind.speedOverGround")

If they are available what are the values?

Thanks
Håkan

Btw: In Dashboard Preferences, "Appearances" there's an option: "Use N2k, Signalk true wind data over ground". When enabled we use angleTrueGround/speedOverGroundover.
Old 23-06-2024, 13:05   #9

Thank you Hakan for looking into this.
I made again two screenshots. How can i get the data? Or how can I get to the values you need?

"Btw: In Dashboard Preferences, "Appearances" there's an option: "Use N2k, Signalk true wind data over ground". When enabled we use angleTrueGround/speedOverGroundover."
Here is already the hook on...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	environment.wind.angletruewater.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	291221   Click image for larger version

Name:	environment.wind.speedTrue.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	291222  

Old 24-06-2024, 00:08   #10

sycrumble..
SK:
What if you empty the search box don't you see all values after a while?

OCPN:
If you have "Use N2k, Signalk true wind data over ground" enabled in Dashboard try to disable it and look for a difference.
Old 24-06-2024, 02:26   #11

Of course i tried already to disable "Use N2k, Signalk true wind data over ground".
When I leave the search box empty, I see all values directly. But regarding wind, there is only following:
environment.wind.angleApparent
environment.wind.speedApparent
Old 24-06-2024, 04:06   #12

I then understand it so that you have no true wind data from "actisense NGT-1USB".
When you connect direct to the USB the inbound true wind calculation is then used, since you have a compass heading.

In the SignalK case the inbound true wind calculation would also have "kicked in" but apparently not.

If you agree to my above conclusion we may give the code a closer look.
Thanks.
Old 24-06-2024, 08:27   #13

sycrumble..
The problem is identified and a fix is loaded for next beta release that will be available soon.
Would you mind to test that carefully not less for adequate values. We haven't been able to test on real data, only simulations.

Thank you for finding and reporting this.
Håkan
Old 24-06-2024, 14:12   #14

Hey Hakan,
thanks for all your work!
Are you one of the SignalK developers?
I hope you understood evrything good, what I tried to explain...
I have the feeling that I did not understand your post correctly, so I name again the problems here in my installation:
  1. When I use the NGT-1USB converter connected to usb on my navigation computer running windows and opencpn, all is good, I have the true wind data...
  2. Usually the windows PC is connected to a router and not to the NGT-1. The router is also connected to the Raspberry with sk server on. The raspberry has a pican-m hat, which connects him to nmea2000 network.
    The "true wind" problem occurs only when opencpn is using the raspberry / signal k connection.
  3. The same is happening on the KIP package, also no true wind data.
If it helps, my heading sensor is Furuno SC-33, a sattelite compass. no fluxgate compass in addition. Wind sensor is also Furuno with if-nmea converter on.
Old 24-06-2024, 14:28   #15

Quote:
The "true wind" problem occurs only when opencpn is using the raspberry / signal k connection.
The same is happening on the KIP package, also no true wind data
The problem is quite simple.
The Dashboard plugin calculates True Wind Angle. True Wind Speed, and if heading is available, True Wind Direction from data received by OpenCPN from either a NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 connection. (ie your Actisense NGT-1)

It did not perform this calculation for data received from SignalK. It would have displayed this data if SignalK provided environment.wind.angleTrueWater"
or "environment.wind.angleTrueGround" and "environment.wind.speedTrue" or "environment.wind.speedOverGround".

However to provide this data, which is calculated, you need to install on SignalK Server, the SignalK Derived Data plugin. (This is also why KIP also does not display True Wind Angle or True Wind speed).

The fix that Hakan has made to the Dashboard plugin enables it to calculate True Wind Angle. True Wind Speed, and if heading is available, True Wind Direction from SignalK "environment.wind.angleApparent" and "environment.wind.speedApparent" in the same way it does for NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000, without the need for the SignalK Derived Data plugin.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug, plugin, radar