Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 16:57   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Another Chart Download Tool

Ahhh now here is the issue..

What people don't realize is the charts that OpenCPN uses for the USA are made and supplied free of charge by the US Coast Guard. These charts are completly free and most of the "For profit" charts use these as a basis for thier USA charts.

There are a bunch of other countries that provide charts free (except us cheap Canadians). You can get some links here.
Chart Sources | Official OpenCPN Homepage

For other charts, you will need to purchase them and it can be complex. Here is the link where you can buy the User Permit to enable chart purchase.
o-charts shop

Now.. You might hear about CM93 charts that people use (worldwide). Most of the people obtained these charts through illegal means as they (the chart company) were hacked years ago. So these illegal charts are available on the internet if you look for them.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:19   #17

Hmmm. The links linked to links as clear as mud. I would love a little app that doesn't require befriending an IT professional or 15 yr old kid. And I don't like illegal charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruiser
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:33   #18

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it.. Its the chart manufacturers that dictate how users have access to thier charts. Since they have been burned in the past (the previous hacking I mentioned) they make things difficult now.

This is why they prefer to work with companies like Garmin and Raymarine. That way they can control how the charts are distributed. Unfortuntaly its the users that foot the bill for this relationship.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:41   #19

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

That is absolutely true, but more and more countries are now producing charts for free....
as an aid to safety in the waters they are responsible for I guess. Long may this trend continue!
Old 26-01-2015, 17:42   #20

Travellerw thanks for your help! I use inavx, navionics, and plan2nav on my Apple toys but hoped to find a way to use OpenCpn on my windows laptop without opening a vein. Ah well.

Old 26-01-2015, 17:54   #21

Where I am I don't trust the charts, electronic or otherwise. ( Guatemala, Belize Mexico) But I keep hoping things will improve!

Old 27-01-2015, 01:04   #22
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
That is absolutely true, but more and more countries are now producing charts for free....
as an aid to safety in the waters they are responsible for I guess. Long may this trend continue!
Would be nice indeed, but from our talks to the different Hydrographic Offices and distributors I don't see this trend. They know that they have an issue with the non-commercial users, but this is not their main focus. And charts for free - have not seen new candidates in the last year..

Hubert
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa