Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Antenna/com trouble

Paul...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll continue to poke around with the Prolific W7/64 driver. I have many dongles, but no access to W7/64 at the moment.

OpenCPN Version 3.2, in Beta now, will support TCP/IP and UDP input of NMEA strings. It will also retransmit strings to serial, UDP, or TCP ports, with filters applied. For some users, this will eliminate the need to run a separate mux application. Look for a fresh Beta in a couple of days.

Thanks again
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 18:23   #17

Thanks for all the help. I have installed Navmon and the virtual comport appears to be working well for opencpn. Navmon actually has a better "dashboard" than opencpn's plugin so I don't mind that I am running another program and it is easier to toggle between the two than to use the plugin. While I really appreciate the effort and concept behind opencpn and know that I am incapable of providing anything close to it, I do think that it is important to lay out its flaws for potential users. The program is UNSTABLE using serial to usb drivers and as all newer computers lack serial connections it seems that this caveat should be front and center for all who are considering using it as a fulltime, reliable chartplotter.
Thanks again for all the help and info.
blubadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 00:38   #18

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubadub View Post
... ... ... The program is UNSTABLE using serial to usb drivers and as all newer computers lack serial connections it seems that this caveat should be front and center for all who are considering using it as a fulltime, reliable chartplotter.
Thanks again for all the help and info.
The new beta just announced by Dave (bdbcat) has some major changes that will hopefully have cured those problems.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51   #19

Boat: CBC members: We "own" a Hunter 30, a Catalina 25 and several powered cruisers from 24'-30'.

WONDERFUL news about 3.2 and the stability issues w. USB! However, I DID install NavMonPC on my system and it's NOW unbelievably stable. It ran for days. (Originally, it only ran for about a half hour...) I finally unplugged the USB. The ownship "grayed out" in about 5 seconds. then I plugged it back in, nothing more. Five seconds later I had my RED ownship back. :-D This was all done in my living room, so now I need to go put it on a boat and see what happens!

Tags
antenna