Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 15:55   #1

Boat: Aloha 28
Associating a USB GPS receiver to OpenCPN

Hello everyone.
I got a BU-353S4 GPS receiver, is there any way OpenCPN could use it?
Thank you in advance
enediel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 16:39   #2

Re: Associating a USB GPS receiver to OpenCPN

Absolutely, one of the most commonly used for that purpose. But, you left out the very critical information on what device and operating system you propose to use with OpenCPN. So, more generically, here is the manual page, with links to installation instructions for several combinations of devices and operating systems:

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpnpencpn_user_manual:getting_st arted:gps_setup&s[]=bu&s[]=353s4
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 18:07   #3

Thank you for your answer, I will review the information, I plan to use it in Windows devices connected by USB, I will review your reference to configure OpenCPN with it.
Old 08-06-2022, 18:42   #4

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by enediel View Post
Thank you for your answer, I will review the information, I plan to use it in Windows devices connected by USB, I will review your reference to configure OpenCPN with it.
You don't say which Windows OS but here is the download page for the device.

https://www.globalsat.com.tw/en/a4-10593/BU-353S4.html

When installing in OpenCPN be aware that the baud rate is 4800.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:10   #5

Thank you for your answer, I'll use devices with Windows 10 as OS, it seems to work properly.
Fair winds to everyone.
Old 14-06-2022, 13:29   #6

Be aware that if you are using the gps puck type antenna on a windows PC
you risk "com port migration" - every time a device is plugged into USB its ID and connection is registered (USB protocol). The puck type antenna can be mis- identified leading to zero signal. It is most frequently incorrectly id'ed as a "serial ball mouse" and sometimes also can make the cursor jerk all over the screen. Use a small free prog to see this "Usbdeview" - if the PC has been used for a while this may well display 2 or 3 screens listing all these connections and they can be cleaned out with the prog. I had this happen in pitch blackness in a narrow passage one night without my radar running....it is impossible to quickly remedy the situation and re booting will not remove the "mis connection"
Richard
SV Zolanda
burgoynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 13:40   #7

thank Richard for mentioned that, I already noticed the problem while re-plugging the device in the laptop, one time it took the serial port COM3, the other time COM4, I notice that because after connecting the gps OpenCPN shows no signal on the top right corner. The solution I applied was opening the device manager of Windows, checking what was the serial port assigned and reconfigure OpenCPN.
Old 19-06-2022, 17:56   #8

If setting up openploter with opencpn, I have found extreme difficulty in getting gps data reliably into opencpn in last few weeks. The docs and you tube videos etc are an absolute jungle of mis leading information and the "documents" section under "help" are also fraustrating in openplotter. There are multi ways to get from the gps into opencpn - GPSD-UDP_Signal K etc etc. It is a pot porrie of combinations and permutations of port protocol and intermediate server. And avail. info fails to bring it together is an understandable way unless you have a degree in computer software or what ever. Me I just want to plug it in and have an economical chart plotter/autopilot..... Good luck. The only good way I found is to first use the "serial" and post the gps to USBD ...then go the opencpn connections and add network input GPSD and the defaults that show without changing them. Port default should show as 2947. I can elaborate if anyone gets stuck. If other methods are used it either does not show the nmea 0183 data in the opencpn debugger and the debugger message does not update with current fix time, and the red boat/gps bars will not show. If simply using opencpn on laptop etc the above does not apply
burgoynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 17:58   #9

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by enediel View Post
thank Richard for mentioned that, I already noticed the problem while re-plugging the device in the laptop, one time it took the serial port COM3, the other time COM4, I notice that because after connecting the gps OpenCPN shows no signal on the top right corner. The solution I applied was opening the device manager of Windows, checking what was the serial port assigned and reconfigure OpenCPN.

Please look at my Tip #14 in this: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bxoe8...s_Rev4.7z/file

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn