Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 09:42   #31

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: B&G wifi module interfacing to OPCPN

Hi Frans

I had exactly the same problem a few days ago now today it all works perfectly. I was in a harbor with lots of other boats, signals etc when I had the problem. Now at anchor all seems good. I was hoping for a real solution to the problem but I will monitor it and see what happens.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:57   #32

Boat: Hanse430

Thanks Merrimac!

This put me on the right track. The AIS receiver (straight N2K into Simnet) is causing the issue.
Just the Zeus2 and the dedicated GPS antenna is doing fine.
With the AIS is it not good.

Now I will first look at the AIS receiver.
Changing some configurable items on the AIS did not improve the situation so far.

Frans
Frans4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 13:28   #33

Boat: Hanse430

Since my issue with the crazy positioning on OpenCPN through my Zeus2 and GoFree WiFi1 is solved, I want to mention that here.

At first I detected that shutting down my AIS transponder solved the positioning, but then of course no more AIS data visible. The vendor of the AIS had no solving answer for me on this issue.

Then turned to Navico Benelux to hear whether they might have heard from this problem before.
Again a kind ear to my story, but no real solution available.

Surprise , with the Zeus2 OS update 6.0 from Navico, I found this text in update review:
Fixes
• Magnetic Variation issue on the Radar PPI screen when using the Compass Rose
AIS VDO / VDM sentences not been sent correctly over Wi-Fi to external Apps.
• Navionics® Sonar chart live slow down

After installation of OS v6.0 the problem is solved.

Frans
Frans4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 20:45   #34

Boat: Hanse 348

So now that I have my zeus talking to opencpn I am not sure how to see the data being transmitted on opencpn. I would like opencpn to show speed, wind, ais, etc, essentially all the data my instruments at the helm are showing. Are there plugins for this? I did download and install AIS radar plugin, however when clicking on it, it shows nothing. But in opencpn I am seeing data sentences being transmitted. I think I am missing something very obvious?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 22:05   #35

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Yep, you are.
If the data is in the network wifi stream, you can see it in the NMEA data window (in the connections setup, tick show nmea debug window). Whatever data is there can be displayed on the virtual instruments, but you have to enable them in plugins under dashboard, or under tactics if you prefer to use that plugin.
Old 24-06-2018, 23:43   #36

Boat: Najad 34

jbinbi...
For data like wind Matt is of course correct. You have to use the Dashboard and ad desired instrument(s).
AIS though should be direct visible without any plugin. But it can accidentally been made invisible. Check the tools AIS button or press the left ALt key once for menu and check the AIS settings.
Unless you don't have the same issue and possible solution as Frans4u one post above yours?
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 07:02   #37

Thanks for the replies. I started this thread because I didn't see any nmea data in the debug window even though everything was setup correctly. Then this spring I started seeing the data! I did not realize that it was the B&G firmware upgrade until I saw some other posts on it! Anyway, I do see the data now so I figured I should be able to see it on screen, I was out sailing this weekend, but saw nothing on AIS radar plugin. So put up my post.

I will go back to the boat and try again this weekend. I am not sure how to get 'virtual instruments' ? I don't see anything but the ais radar on the plugin pages? Was hoping to be able to see on the screen true/apparent wind, cog, speed, etc. But can't find plugins for these?
Old 25-06-2018, 08:10   #38

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks for the replies. I started this thread because I didn't see any nmea data in the debug window even though everything was setup correctly. Then this spring I started seeing the data! I did not realize that it was the B&G firmware upgrade until I saw some other posts on it! Anyway, I do see the data now so I figured I should be able to see it on screen, I was out sailing this weekend, but saw nothing on AIS radar plugin. So put up my post.

I will go back to the boat and try again this weekend. I am not sure how to get 'virtual instruments' ? I don't see anything but the ais radar on the plugin pages? Was hoping to be able to see on the screen true/apparent wind, cog, speed, etc. But can't find plugins for these?
The dashboard plugin (=virtual instruments) comes prepackaged with OpenCPN so if you don't see it in the plugin list, something is likely wrong with your installation.
You might probably start by reading the manual at at least https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...gins:dashboard to see what it is and how it works.

To see the AIS targets you do not need the "AIS Radar" plugin, the functionality to draw the targets on the chart is part of the core program, again, documentation, likely at https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...ar_buttons:ais is your friend.

If you still won't see anything, we need to have a look what data you are receiving - For that a screenshot of the NMEA debug window might be enough.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 09:01   #39

Thanks again. I have a dashboard up top, have never seen the instruments that the link shows. Will take a look when I get back to the boat. Might need to do a re install. No internet at the boat, no nmea at home, so have to bring computer back and forth to play. very slow, but again, appreciate the help. getting them.

Assuming I do get this to work, my next step is can I send data back to instruments. What I would really like to do is create a route on the computer and have it drive the boat! Really difficult to create a route accurately on the chartplotter, but once in there very easy to control at the helm for steering.
Old 13-08-2018, 08:56   #40

I would like to ping my last post.

Specifically, is there a simple way for a route that I have created in opencpn be able to control the autopilot via the wifi connection?

On my opencpn screen I can see the data from my instruments, ais, wind, sog , etc. So data is going from instruments TO computer. Is the link bidirectional to my B&G instruments to control them?
Old 30-06-2019, 15:27   #41

Well, I had this all working last year just fine. Navico had a major upgrade to the firmware, allows the wifi on B&G to have dual modes, can connect to the internet while being a server etc.

I have not touched any of my settings. Just did an upgrade on the chartplotter. But now, my opencpn is not getting sentences. Does anyone know if B&G reset anything or if I need to change something in the new interface?

The most frustrating thing about B&G is that they have had 3 major upgrades in the 4 years I have had it, but no changes to the docs, even though they have moved just about everything in the user interface. Grrr.
Old 29-03-2020, 20:55   #42

Boat: Lagoon 450
Send a message via Skype™ to Integra

I know this is an old thread, but it came up when trying to get my B&G Zeus 2 to send NMEA data to Logbook App on my iPad. This app automatically records your position together with a host of other data. I can confirm that the TCP port should be 10110 but do not use the IP address of the B&G WiFi module (shown as the Router address on the iPad). You have to get the IP address of the B&G network from Settings, Network, Info on the Zeus 2.
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi