Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 01:19   #2506

Re: Beta Test / Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Spart...

if you check out the Beta PPA, you will find oeSENC for ARM64 available for direct install.

https://launchpad.net/~bdbcat/+archi...ncpn/+packages

Unfortunately, we do not have S63_pi available yet for arm64. Simply a developer bandwidth issue....

Thanks, and good luck
Dave

Are you saying I should use the BETA PPA and not the normal PPA ? I will try that and feed back. oesenc will certainly help.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:35   #2507

@bdbcat

Thank you for the link I have installed the opencpn-plugin-oesenc-pi - Plugin for OpenCPN diretly form the beta repo.

There is another oesenc-pi listed in the apt repo that one does not install.

The plugin shows up inthe list and enables. When I try to create a fingerprint I get the following error in the log:
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager: plugins loading from ~/.local/lib/opencpn:/usr/local/lib/opencpn:/usr/lib/opencpn
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /home/ubuntu/.local/lib/opencpn
09:25:26 UTC: Directory /home/ubuntu/.local/lib/opencpn does not exist.
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /usr/local/lib/opencpn
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libdashboard_pi.so
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager: /usr/local/lib/opencpn/libdashboard_pi.so
API Version detected: 106
PlugIn Version detected: 102
09:25:26 UTC: Opencpn language load for: en_US
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for: opencpn-wmm_pi
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for: opencpn-grib_pi
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for: opencpn-chartdldr_pi
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for opencpn core.
09:25:26 UTC: Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /usr/lib/opencpn
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /usr/lib/opencpn/liboesenc_pi.so
09:25:26 UTC: PlugInManager: /usr/lib/opencpn/liboesenc_pi.so
API Version detected: 111
PlugIn Version detected: 209
09:25:26 UTC: Opencpn language load for: en_US
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for: opencpn-wmm_pi
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for: opencpn-grib_pi
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for: opencpn-chartdldr_pi
09:25:26 UTC: Loading catalog for opencpn core.
09:25:26 UTC: Getting DefaultSystemLocale...
09:25:31 UTC: PlugInManager: Initializing PlugIn: /usr/lib/opencpn/liboesenc_pi.so
09:25:31 UTC: Path to oeserverd is: /usr/local/bin/oeserverd
09:25:32 UTC: ChartSymbols loaded from /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data/chartsymbols.xml
09:26:02 UTC: LOGBOOK: 2019-10-07 09:26:02 UTC DR Lat 33.35800 Lon -79.28200
09:26:12 UTC: Create FPR command: /usr/local/bin/oeserverd -g "/home/ubuntu/.opencpn/"
09:26:12 UTC: execvp(/usr/local/bin/oeserverd, -g, /home/ubuntu/.opencpn/) failed with error 2!
09:26:12 UTC: oesenc_pi: oeserverd results:
09:26:12 UTC: execvp(/usr/local/bin/oeserverd, -g, /home/ubuntu/.opencpn/) failed with error 2!
09:26:25 UTC: Metrics: m_display_size_mm: 598 wxDisplaySize: 1920:1080
09:26:25 UTC: oesenc_pi: Calculated pix/mm = 3.2107
09:26:40 UTC: Error: Unable to open requested HTML document: file:/usr/local/share/opencpn/doc/help_en_US.html

I do not know what error 2! Denotes.

If I execute th ecommnad form the terminal I get:

/usr/local/bin/oeserverd, -g, /home/ubuntu/.opencpn
bash: /usr/local/bin/oeserverd,: No such file or directory

Can you let me know where to start looking.

Cheers
Spart
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26   #2508
Marine Service Provider

spart...

Try the CLI command without the commas.

Code:
/usr/local/bin/oeserverd -g  /home/ubuntu/.opencpn

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17   #2509

@bdbcat

Thank you for the note. As I had done lots of compiling etc. I decided to start again and purge anything openCPN from the Ubuntu install.

I then added your BETA repo and installed openCPN straight from the repo and the oesenc plugin also.

I has an issue with the chart downloader and on checking it seems that opencpn permissions were wrong on the ~/Charts directory as it was set to root as the owner. Once I chowned the directory to the local user all was well.

I could activate and create a fingerprint file in the oesenc charts downloader connect to Ocharts and download the UK Package. All installed fine.

After a bit of tweaking with the settings I managed to get it workable. I then found that if I enabled OpenGL and set it to software and restarted then it ran better.

glxgears runs about 60fps.

See info below. Not sure if this is hardware or software decoding.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Charts$ glxgears -info
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
GL_RENDERER = V3D 4.2
GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 19.1.4
GL_VENDOR = Broadcom
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_multisample GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_texture GL_EXT_texture3D GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_MESA_window_pos GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_NV_fog_distance GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_OES_read_format GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_OES_EGL_image GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_AMD_texture_texture4 GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_AMD_conservative_depth GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_debug_output GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_texture_snorm GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_base_instance GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage GL_ARB_conservative_depth GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack GL_ARB_shading_language_packing GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_transform_feedback_instanced GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_AMD_shader_trinary_minmax GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect GL_ARB_program_interface_query GL_ARB_shader_image_size GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object GL_ARB_stencil_texturing GL_ARB_texture_query_levels GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr GL_ARB_buffer_storage GL_ARB_internalformat_query2 GL_ARB_multi_bind GL_ARB_texture_stencil8 GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix GL_ARB_get_texture_sub_image GL_KHR_context_flush_control GL_ARB_parallel_shader_compile GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counter_ops GL_KHR_no_error GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_sliced_3d GL_MESA_shader_integer_functions GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile
VisualID 547, 0x223
298 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.499 FPS
288 frames in 5.1 seconds = 56.727 FPS

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Charts$ glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
direct rendering: Yes

So it look slike ubuntu has HW acceleration. Not sure why openCPN runs slower with HW rather than SW.

More testing to do. Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Spart
Old 11-10-2019, 10:04   #2510

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I received a notice from Microsoft about upcoming charges for Microsoft Azure of $99. I assume this is related to recent installation of MS Visual Studio 15. Is this necessary? Should I cancel Azure and save this expense? I don't believe I have used Azure.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:47   #2511

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I received a notice from Microsoft about upcoming charges for Microsoft Azure of $99. I assume this is related to recent installation of MS Visual Studio 15. Is this necessary? Should I cancel Azure and save this expense? I don't believe I have used Azure.
Azure is microsoft’s cloud computing platform competing with Amazon AWS.
There are “trial” Azure offers where you can try Azure for free and then if you chose not to pay then your account will be closed by Microsoft. AWS make similar offers.
Visual Studio Community Edition is free for open source development as far as I know. I have heard no changes to that policy.

I don’t think VS is the reason you got the message. Beware of scams too.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:05   #2512

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

TDan, thanks for the above.
TDan wrote:

Can anyone tell me why Travis builds fail for osx and mingw? #1469

Many osx failures of the same type.
Does the travis file need updating?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 15:19   #2513

Rick,

Alec sent the magic beans I needed. The Travis build has completed now and all green checks.
Old 12-10-2019, 17:05   #2514

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

This may not be the best place but at least I know there are interested parties...

My brother, a GPSd dev, is evaluating a USB compass/orientation sensor for support in GPSd. This would mean that the information would be available to apps such as OCPN alongside the GPS data when using GPSd. The specific product is here: https://power-and-motion.com

Would there be interest in supporting this inside OCPN?

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 09:51   #2515

Boat: Najad 34

Greg..
OCPN is not a hardware, it's a navigation program for PC and Androids. So what you mean with "supporting inside OCPN" is uncler. The compass module in your link may though fit in boats where a electronic compass is needed for the use of a radar or similar. A USB or RS-232 interface is often suitable but your link didn't contained any specification about the communication protocol or other specifications. OCPN needs NMEA 0183.
So this may fit users of OCPN as other compass modules. Home made or bought. Thanks for the tip.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 13:52   #2516

I was asking about interest, not getting into the details. But if you insist...

Unfortunately the designers of this device didn't understand NMEA 0183 and messed up the format. IIRC they added a second format that was supposed to be correct, but still fell short. Thus support would be device-dependent even though it shouldn't be, and just buying one and plugging it into a USB port is not going to work. Also, my understanding is that the GPSd inter-application protocol is not NMEA 0183, and any application like OCPN would have to add support for receiving the data in the GPSd format, an extension of the current GPS data.

As I said, my brother is investigating it for adding to GPSd - it is not a done deal at this time. If he gets support working properly he would still have to get acceptance by the other devs to include in the released software. And it does no good unless applications are adapted to use it. Hence the question.

Greg
Old 14-10-2019, 04:22   #2517

Beta Test / Technical

If they want to sell to boating market then NMEA-0183 format is the most popular. GPSd is nowhere near the same level of usage.

There is available open source software that can create the NMEA message string. It is just ASCII text sent through a serial or USB port.
Old 14-10-2019, 11:59   #2518

It would be nice if someone would offer this with a correct NMEA data stream over USB but I have not found one - these style boards are usually designed for direct connection to Arduino and Pi computers. It seems that they thought they were making an NMEA device - they just really screwed it up (they didn't even use commas as field delimiters). So the choice appears to be either adapt to the faulty design, or not have access to such a board. It would be possible for OCPN to support this with software to parse the faulty ASCII strings from the USB port; that was not my question although perhaps that would be a consideration. I was only asking about GPSd support, which of course has a more limited interest, because I happen to know a GPSd developer who is looking at it. The GPSd support would relieve applications from having to decode the non-standard stream, which would be valuable if support were desired.

Believe me if I were the product manager for this device it would be done correctly. But that is irrelevant. It is what it is. Do we want to have access to it or not?

BTW I feel that there would be more interest in GPSd if more folks understood what it does. It supports multiple apps accessing the same data stream, it knows how to communicate with many different GPS devices (including Garmin's proprietary format), it can update system time from GPS (for those actually out cruising), and it has tools for changing the configuration of some GPS modules.

Greg
Old 27-10-2019, 02:15   #2519

On Windows, regardless of the architecture, why is OpenCPN only 32bit ?

Some of the CAN Bus adapters supported by the TwoCan plugin (Rusoku Toucan, Kvaser Leaflight, Canable Cantact using Candlelight firmware) have specific device drivers, which on a 64bit version of Windows are naturally 64 bits.

As expected, the TwoCan plugin drivers which connect the TwoCan plugin with these devices don’t load.

How do we get (or build) a 64bit version of OpenCPN (and consequently 64bit versions of plugins) ?
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 08:31   #2520

I am not sure. But it could be that no one wants the hassle and confusion of two versions of the program and all the plugins. There are still lots of Windows users who don’t have 64-bit systems.

Linux handles this much better and the users are more knowledgeable about it too. Most windows users just want it to work and can’t be bothered with bitness. There is no performance advantage to 64-bit either.