Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 16:48   #1

Boat: Salthouse 33
BU353 Problem with OpenCPN

I have sorted out my chart problems however seem to have created another.
I am running Windows 7.
I have openCPN version 3.0.2 installed and CM93 charts. openCPN is reading my charts OK now.

I have installed Windows 7 drivers from usglobalstat GPSinfo and pl2303 USB drivers in my download files.
When I plug my BU353 GPS receiver in my COMPORT3 it immediately starts to flash indicating receiving data/operational.

My problem is that I cannot now get my openCPN programe to recognize my BU353 GPS receiver.
Any help available please. Thank you
phil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: BU353 problem with openCPN

phil...

You say OpenCPN does not recognize the bu353.

Are you getting a real fix? Is the open sky visible to the antenna?

Try Toolbox->Gps->Show data stream window. Anything there?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:49   #3

Hi Dave, yes open sky visible to antenna.
Nothing in "data stream" window.
When I plugged BU353 GPS in this time I got a message drivers not installed!!
and openCPN when opened stated could not Identify COMPORT3 which is the comport I am using and have identified in Tools/GPS settings. Do you think I should uninstall GPSinfo, USB driver and Windows 7 driver and start again and then get back to you with the result.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

phil...
I suppose GPSInfo shows that the GPS works OK - if not don't even start to play with OpenCPN and try to fix your cabling/drivers/knowledge of the COM port at which your GPS resides. In case GPSInfo shows the GPS as working well, your problem should not be with the connection or drivers.
When the above is OK, make sure GPSInfo (or other program using the GPS) is not running (a serial port where your GPS is communicating can be used just by one application at a time), start OpenCPN and set the same connection parameters as you did in GPSInfo.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 16:58   #5

OK in desparation I have uninstalled both GPSinfo and USB driver.
I have reinsatalled Windows p12303 usb driver from www.usglobalsat.com/s-24-support-drivers.aspx
I have reinstalled GPSinfo from my disc provided with the BU-353 originally
(I note after reinstalling GPSinfo from disc the USB p12303 driver appears again in my "downloads" file)
On plugging the BU353 into my usb port, comport 3, I get the message "installing device driver software" this is followed by a message "software was not successfully installed."USB serial controller failed"
If I click on the GPSinfo icon I get a message to allow program to makes changes etc. when I click yes I get the GPS START up window when I click yes I get comport error.
On opening openCPN programme I get the message "could not open serial port COM3.
In tools/GPS in openCPN serial comport is set to comport3.
I do not know what else to do/try.
Old 11-08-2012, 19:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Phil...

This seems to be the operant message:

"USB serial controller failed"

I suggest another BU353. Until the (relatively) simple GPSInfo works with your hardware, I would not bother to try OpenCPN.

Good luck
Dave
Old 14-08-2012, 15:31   #7

Re: BU353 Problem with openCPN

Hi again, It appears to be a download/program problem as my BU353 functions OK on another computer, hmmm I am at a total loss now does anybody have a suggestion.
regards
Phil
Old 14-08-2012, 23:28   #8

Boat: Journeyman
Re: BU353 Problem with openCPN

Possible causes I can think of: Bad physical USB connection. Try different ports, inserting the connector multiple times with say 10 seconds pauses, firmly and holding it in place at some different angles designed to maximize connector contact force. If you get it to register in the driver sometimes but not others you know that's the problem.

If not, then it something in your windows install preventing the driver from operating. If your system says driver install failed when you insert the usb connector, you should have a yellow unknown entry in your Device Manager tree. Open the properties on that entry and do a driver update from a specified location where you know you have unpacked the correct driver. This usually solves these issues. If the system still tells you there is no S/W for the selected H/W in that location you most likely have a hardware problem.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 03:50   #9

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: BU353 Problem with OpenCPN

Dave & Jesper

We may have a real problem with BU353 direct connection.
It used to work for me. No more. No problems running via GPSD though.
I have killed gpsd, set BU353 to NMEA mode and O has connected. Baud rate 4800.
Code:
$ lsof /dev/ttyUSB0
COMMAND  PID   USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF  NODE NAME
opencpn 9923 thomas   19u   CHR  188,0      0t0 34181 /dev/ttyUSB0
Still nothing appears in the O data source window.

BU353 reported 57600 baude in SIRF mode when I reset i to NMEA mode. Next I tried QtVlm, nothing until I tried 57600 baud, then all OK!
Clear NMEA stream, gps position etc.
Note that I did not try to run QtVlm and O at the same time!

So it looks like there is a problem in O.
Testing on Linux Ubuntu 12.04, 64 bit.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 03:59   #10

Boat: Journeyman

I have not yet done any work with the serial I/O code in O, so count me clueless. But if the device transmits at 57600 and is OK in other apps at that speed, how can we see anything at 4800?
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 04:38   #11

Boat: Dufour 35

Well I was a bit to quick, and did not try hard enough
It is possible to (re)set the Baude rate on the BU353. I did not manage, this time, through gpsctl ( part of gpsd). Later I used Sirfdemo on a XP box to set BU353 to 4800 baud. With this setting O worked OK.
Still, if you ask Sirfdemo to "Synchronize Protocol & Baude Rate" you end up with 57600. I have never changed the baude rate, so his must be some default resetting kicking in. Gpsd obviously handles 57600baud without a problem.
My conclusion is that users with BU353 problems first have to check that the baude rate and set it to 4800 if needed.
Of course it would be nice if O could handle 57600 natively.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 22:12   #12

Thanks very much for all the comment but unfortunately you guys are way over my head, back to sextant an log!!!
Old 21-08-2012, 07:21   #13

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil23 View Post
Thanks very much for all the comment but unfortunately you guys are way over my head, back to sextant an log!!!
whoa. don't give up.
You said the gps works on another computer, you said that you had it working in "gpsinfo" working on yours which means , gpsinfo showed all the satellites and had a fix etc... am I right?

Next question- Did you CLOSE gpsinfo before trying to see the gps in O? as Pavel said in post 4? it helps if you can say you did the things offered as help or I assume you didn't
You can only use the gps in one app at a time!*
(you can also "close the GPS" in gpsinfo and that should work too)

There is help on gps's in the OPCNHelp
You can use the search this forum function for BU353 and find lots of stuff. It seems to be quite troublesome.

....re-installing a driver over and over is usually a total waste of time in windows...
if you can't in any way get gpsinfo to go, another good suspect as mentioned by dave #6, that your hardware connection is faulty.

*unless you are using a port emulator like XPort or VSPE
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 18:11   #14

This problem is now most vexing. I have taken my BU353 back to the supplier along with my Laptop. BU353 is fine and operational however now when I open openCPN all I get is ther landmass outlined in blue and no charts. The GPS is showing operational at the bottom right hand side of screen and when I highlight "show data screen" GPS acitvity is shown. I cannot however get charts up. HOWEVER the guy that set my BU353 GPS operating has installed an Icon on my screen CmapEsc which if I highlight I get into what appears to be a nav. programme and Cmap charts but it is not a patch on openCPN, very basic as unable to lay off courses, set routes etc etc. Is there anything I can do to set openCPN operastional or should I stick with what i have got.. Certainly don't want to play around myself and end up back at square one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for any assistance available.
Old 17-09-2012, 19:08   #15
Marine Service Provider

phil23...

You have a basic problem with OpenCPN charts unrelated to the BU353.

Could we examine your logfile, please? The location may be found by clicking the Help icon in the toolbar.

Dave

Tags
opencpn