Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 14:30   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: Bug: 2.5.0 Route " Slides " as Chart is Moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
@dave777

Can you please export your route to a gpx file and attach it to a post here?
Don't forget to stick a ".doc" to the end of the filename.(route.gpx.doc)
How was your route created?

@Dan
Please test 12352_3.KAP (Long Island NY). I'm unable to repeat the problem on a XP box. I have tested both Chart up and North up.

Thomas
I'll test it on XP, Win 7 (and maybe Ubunto) when I get home.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:30   #17
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
@dave777

Can you please export your route to a gpx file and attach it to a post here?
Don't forget to stick a ".doc" to the end of the filename.(route.gpx.doc)
How was your route created?

@Dan
Please test 12352_3.KAP (Long Island NY). I'm unable to repeat the problem on a XP box. I have tested both Chart up and North up.

Thomas
OCpn: 2.6.1310
Chart: 12352_3 (red flagged as skewed) (Only 12352_n charts loaded)
Zig-zag route from light center to light center with 6 waypoints.

Tested:
  • North up on/off.
  • Open GL on/off.
  • Enable chart quilting on/off.
  • Disable full screen quilting on/off.
  • Smooth panning on/off.
  • 1. Panning around. 2. Click to re-center.
Route only shifted a pixel or two during re-draws. I am familiar with the symptoms being described in this thread. I remember seeing it myself several releases ago. But, I am not seeing that currently with my combination.

Sorry, I can't move my drive with the charts right now, so I can't test the other OSs. Maybe later tonight, or over the weekend...

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:41   #18

Sorry, I've been away.

To answer questions, the GPX route was created in OpenCPN and exported. When reimported, those routes were off. However, the problem is not appearing since the original two GPX routes were exported. I can create a route now and reimport the route, and it is exactly on the correct points on the map. Actually, export and import was working properly even before I re-downloaded the maps again from NOAA.

This leads me to guess this was not an improperly calibrated chart, but a runtime aberration where the map to GPS, or route to GPS somehow became corrupted.

Another poster mentioned a behavior where the routes seemed to shift when scaling and zooming the map. I don't recall that specifically, but perhaps there is a bug. The best practice would be for OpenCPN to give a runtime error if it became aware of a disconnect between map / GPS / route waypoints - but that is a big "if".

It is working for me now, and I've manually recreated the routes. But my confidence level and concern is that there may be a bug which is not evident if a route is made at sea, at night, etc.

I don't think I've saved the bad GPX file. But I'm not sure it would help much. In my browser it appeared well formed, it loaded without error, and it was repeatable. It didn't look any different from my replacement other than the GPS coordinates being off. Most of my waypoints were exactly on government buoys so it was easy to notice the errors, and they were all off by about 1/4 mile in the same direction. It was much further than a zooming resolution, pixel click, error.

If I see this again, I will report back. It would be great to know if the routes somehow get offset. Perhaps a good work around for now would be to export, exit the OpenCPN, re-open OpenCPN, import route and visually verify.

Thanks to all for your attention.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts