Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 18:47   #1

Question Can I integrate openCPN to my own software

I wish to know does openCPN provide API to allow 3rd party application to use the data?

Basically I have a Google map application, and I want to display the weather data in overlays, such as tidal, sea level, pressure, etc. I read the developer manual but still don't know whether I can do this with openCPN.

Anybody can advise me? Thanks in advance.
Steven
logicgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 19:04   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Can I integrate openCPN to my own software

There is a plug-in API where OpenCPN will run your code. Start to learn about how to build OpenCPN here: Developer Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Then read about the plug-in interface here: PlugIn API | Official OpenCPN Homepage
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 19:20   #3

Smile Re: Can I integrate openCPN to my own software

Thanks. But my intention is not let OpenCPN run my code, i want my software can use the OpenCPN data. I am looking for something like Weather API, openweathermap does not provide tidal data but I need the tidal data. So i want to know whether OpenCPN provide API or some kind of web services so my software can use it.

Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
There is a plug-in API where OpenCPN will run your code. Start to learn about how to build OpenCPN here: Developer Manual | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Then read about the plug-in interface here: PlugIn API | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 02-11-2015, 21:07   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicgate View Post
Thanks. But my intention is not let OpenCPN run my code, i want my software can use the OpenCPN data. I am looking for something like Weather API, openweathermap does not provide tidal data but I need the tidal data. So i want to know whether OpenCPN provide API or some kind of web services so my software can use it.

Steven
Steven...
No, OpenCPN is a desktop application, it provides no webservices and it has no headless mode with an API.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 23:49   #5

If it's just tidal times and height predictions for ports, you will find the code for that in OpenCPN and other projects.

If you want to predict tidal currents, you will need to look at the MyOcean IBI model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicgate View Post

Steven
Yens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:48   #6

thanks Nohal and Yens, I will check MyOcean IBI model.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:09   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

Would it be a difficult task to create a plugin that via IP connection exposed the "data" that is available to all plugins? The so-called IP plugin could listen on a range of ports for a connection. When the connection is made then the plugin could pass requests that come in via IP back and forth via the existing plugin interface.

This might be interesting for various reasons. Not least of which is improving stability of the core. If such an interface could be efficiently implemented it would mean that OpenCPN could never be crashed by a plugin using the IP plugin interface. Maybe most plugins could use this mechanism and O could get away from having so many DLLs or .so plugins hanging off the core.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 18:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
OpenCPN could never be crashed by a plugin using the IP plugin interface
Hahaha... I've seen servers crashing from a single malformed packet.
Yens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn, software