Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2018, 12:12   #1

Can lost tracks be recovered when OpenCPN for Android crashes?

OpenCPN for Android seems very prone to crashing. Often times when it crashes, some or all of the routes and tracks are missing when I restart it.

Is there anyway to recover tracks that I was recording when it crashed?

I've lost 2 out of the last 17 tracks I tried to record. I can't continue to use OpenCPN if it keeps losing my data.

I am using the paid OpenCPN app -- version 1.0.19 on a Samsung Active Tab 2.

It's not the speediest tablet, but it is IP68 and MIL-STD 810G certified.
LordGothington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 18:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Can lost tracks be recovered when OpenCPN for Android crashes?

LG....

This issue is under active investigation now. We expect to release a new version shortly that will periodically save tracks, so that at least most of the current track will be recoverable after a crash.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:01   #3

Great! I won't go over to the dark side (Navionics) yet then.

I've also notice that when the screen rotates, many times the gray bar at the bottom that shows SOG, COG, and Scale doesn't redraw and I have to rotate the screen a few times to get it to show up again. I assume that is a known problem. If not, I can log a bug.

Also, I am currently cruising down the inland rivers from Chicago to Mobile, AL and so my routes can easily have 100+ waypoints in them and span 30-60 miles. When I activate the route it takes a good long time to actually activate (10-20 seconds). It then automatically zooms out to show the entire route. But because there is so much stuff on the screen now, the tablet gets bogged down. I then have to try to pinch zoom back into a reasonable scale factor which is pretty sluggish. And then finally reactivate autofollow.

This is probably the second most annoying aspect of using OpenCPN. A process that should take 5 seconds ends up taking 30-60 seconds.

Obviously, it would be great if OpenCPN was better optimized to handle low resource systems like tablets and phones. But, in the meantime, if OpenCPN didn't change the zoom level when activating a route, it would make my life a lot more pleasant.

And, lastly, I still have not figure out how to select multiple routes/tracks in route & mark manager. On the PC it is a simple shift-click. But it is a mystery to me how to do it on Android.

None of those issues are deal breakers. But, they are annoyances that affect me every day, so I thought I'd at least report them since user feedback is useful.
LordGothington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 10:16   #4

Boat: 1975 Isander 28

I am working on this for a different reason. Can someone knowledgeable please help me with the file locations and names for tracks, routes, and any other files which get written by opencpn during normal operation. I am only interested in Linux...
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 10:27   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeith View Post
I am working on this for a different reason. Can someone knowledgeable please help me with the file locations and names for tracks, routes, and any other files which get written by opencpn during normal operation. I am only interested in Linux...
Click the "?" menu button and it will tell you where the logfile & config file are stored, all tracks/waypoints should be in the same place in navobj.xml, the navobj.xmk.1 etc are backups.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lost, opencpn