Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 14:15   #31

Re: Cannot see Tidal Stream for English Channel

Re my last post, when Sailgrib is configured to save routes as GPX the calculated route can be imported directly to the OpenCPN Route Manager from the Sailgrib/gpx folder on the Android using a USB data cable. When loaded in OpenCPN all the waypoints have projected timestamps (file attached), and can be adjusted on the screen with the curser to avoid overfalls etc.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx wr_Sandbanks-Guernsey_X__20160822_174900.gpx (9.8 KB, 42 views)
Maelruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 18:02   #32

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Cannot see Tidal Stream for English Channel

Since OpenCPN already has a great Grib plugin and Weather_routing_pi which is excellent, it would be very very nice to be able to have some of these tidal and current data in Opencpn.

I know Mike has been working towards improvements in graphics, presentation and planning tools, as well as improving the data available, but he needs some dedicated experts to help him.

It would be a big assist to Opencpn Users in the EU I think.
Even here in the states I see that we have Eldridge Tides and Currents for the Northeast, which we generally rely on and check after we have looked at various other Cell Apps and Opencpn. Eldridge is sometimes off when it comes to slack ebb or slack flood in certain places, and this can also change due to many factors (moon, pressure, storms, etc) ...

However, is there a way of getting Eldridge knowledge into the tide tables? I suppose there are copyright issues too be considered too.

I think this was the most important information on the sea coast at one time, and it still has great value for sailors.

I suppose there are many examples like this throughout the world where Tides and Currents are known locally but not widely disseminated for one reason or other.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
english, english channel