Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 07:17   #1

Can't display current positionon from gps on chart

Good day to everybody,

Hope somebody could help me. I'm runnig ubuntu 14.04 fresh installed. I took the opencpn 4.2.0 from the repository and followed all instructions to setup it.
I have a Leica gps conneced via serial Nmea to a usb port. I could see in Nmea dbug windows the incoming sentences but I couldn't find a way to display the position on the chart as I did with the old notebook. The gps icon on the top right corner remains red.

thanking in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-05-10 16:08:15.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	124046  
tretigri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:13   #2

Boat: 29'
Re: Can't display current positionon from gps on chart

I have Linux Mint ..it's similar to what you have...I remember having to fiddle a bit too and ended up with "GPSD"...What works for me might work for you too..You might try this...I'm quoting here from O's onboard help manual.

"GPSD:
is a Unix/Linux gps server, which means that several different applications can share one gps receiver. Linux users have the choice between using serial or GPSD connections for their gps input.

Ubuntu users take note! If gpsd is installed - use it. If you prefer a serial connection, un-install gpsd. The reason is that gpsd starts automatically when,for example, an USB gps is connected. This will block the serial port that the gps communicates with( /dev/ttyUSB0 in many cases), hence no separate serial connection to the gps is possible. So it's an either or situation
. "

In other words, goto the Opencpn manual, per connections, find the place I have quoted, (it's about halfway down through the manual)and below that you will find this example...
Click image for larger version

Name:	gpsd-con1.png
Views:	162
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	124049
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretigri View Post
Good day to everybody,

Hope somebody could help me. I'm runnig ubuntu 14.04 fresh installed. I took the opencpn 4.2.0 from the repository and followed all instructions to setup it.
I have a Leica gps conneced via serial Nmea to a usb port. I could see in Nmea dbug windows the incoming sentences but I couldn't find a way to display the position on the chart as I did with the old notebook. The gps icon on the top right corner remains red.

thanking in advance for the help!
Your connection is ok. It seems that the GPS does not yet have a fix. Are you located inside ?? - if so, try to move outside to see if the GPS can get a fix. You can also open the dachboard instrument panel to see if any satellites is displayed, if so, that's a confirmation of that your connection is fine.

Also, I agree with Happy seagull, for Linux, GPSD is very easy and stable to use for USB gps connections, but as above, your current usb config seems just fine.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:07   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Petter,

why do you believe that there is no fix?

Look at the last line in the screenshot - the RMC message. Normal, for me at a first glance.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Petter,

why do you believe that there is no fix?

Look at the last line in the screenshot - the RMC message. Normal, for me at a first glance.

Hubert
To be honest, I did not check the content of each message, but the message stream confirms that the connection with the gps is fine and the messages are accepted ( green text) - I have seen several times the same conditions: accepted (green) NMEA messages is flowing in the NMEA debug window, but the information is insufficient to get a fix for the GPS. Normally, this situation was corrected when providing clear sky to the GPS.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:24   #6

Tretigri,

The NMEA Debug Window in your screenshot, shows that OpenCPN is receiving reports from the GPS. The GPS has a position fix (40 deg 49.59 min N and 014 deg 06.96 min W). The GPS is NOT sending the checksum at the end of each line, but "Control Checksum" is checked in the Properties section near the bottom of the Connections screen. If you remove the checkmark before "Control Checksum", OpenCPN should use the position as it is being reported by the GPS.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:27   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Another observation:
there is no GSV message and I have not seen any other data for the number of satellites in view.

(40 deg 49.59 min N and 014 deg 06.96 min E)
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Paul. View Post
Tretigri,

The NMEA Debug Window in your screenshot, shows that OpenCPN is receiving reports from the GPS. The GPS has a position fix (40 deg 49.59 min N and 014 deg 06.96 min W). The GPS is NOT sending the checksum at the end of each line, but "Control Checksum" is checked in the Properties section near the bottom of the Connections screen. If you remove the checkmark before "Control Checksum", OpenCPN should use the position as it is being reported by the GPS.

Paul
Thanks everybody for help!
Solved!
removing the checking from "ControlChecksum" made the position visible on map!
tretigri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:21   #9

Boat: 29'

Good news, tretigri!

just a note in case there's a chance to avoid this in future, but I see looking at my own Linux Mint gps config that when adding a new Serial connection, "Control Checksum" was enabled by default. Perhaps it should not be?

(but using gpsd Control Checksum enabled or not seems to works fine )
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:04   #10

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Good news, tretigri!

just a note in case there's a chance to avoid this in future, but I see looking at my own Linux Mint gps config that when adding a new Serial connection, "Control Checksum" was enabled by default. Perhaps it should not be?

(but using gpsd Control Checksum enabled or not seems to works fine )
Control Checksum should only be disabled when using a bad or broken device. Once having a bad device exchange it as soon as possible for a new one.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:11   #11

Boat: Gemini 3200

I have had similar problems getting OpenCPN to display a position from my GPS. Data flowed into the debug window at great speed but the button stayed red. Eventually it sorted itself out. It seems that sometimes it takes quite a long time for the GPS to get a fix and the program to recognize it. Is the button still red after 20 minutes?

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, gps