Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 04:21   #466

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Celestial Navigation Plugin Redux

This is great Stelian what a help. I can test tomorrow for sure and possibly make an exe for Uwe.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:33   #467

Boat: First 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUR450502 View Post
Hi Stelian et al. ...

This sounds great. However, have you tried to enter MORE THAN ONE SIGHTING??
I did enter more than one, and it works, see below.

Quote:
From your previous post I saw only one line (sighting) was drawn. That worked perfectly always. ...
Not quite so. From what I understood, this was a problem with the old version of the plugin, supposedly fixed in the latest git version. However, people couldn't verify this because the latest git version crashed.

My change fixes the latest version, so everything works now (or at least I hope so).

Quote:
If so, could someone help me to get the executable (installable) pi to me somehow, to test it on my system as well (and use it of course....) :-)
I didn't build the installer, so you'll have to download the celestial navigation installer from https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/plugins/celestialnav.html then manually overwrite the dll with the one I gave the pointer to previously.

I'll look onto building a full version with the installer and all when I'll have some time, unless Rick beats me to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	celnav3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	156981  
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:43   #468

Try: http://popies.net/tmp/celestial_navi...1sp1-win32.exe

(not sure it works, didn't even tried it !)

Stelian.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:28   #469

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Stelian,
In geomag.c file what does the change to rec 80 do?
Also how did you find those end of line EOL were the problem?
Usually it is linux who does not want ctrl ln, but it also goes the other way when reading a file?

This problem makes sense if you will, povl fixed the celestial star file and it worked for him (and me a long time ago) then somehow the eol changed I guess.

Many many thanks! Can't wait to try it. Wish I had good programming skills.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:32   #470

Well there is a problem after installing it, all other plugins did not show up anymore. Uninstalling it and they are back.
Why?
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:40   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Stelian,
In geomag.c file what does the change to rec 80 do?
Also how did you find those end of line EOL were the problem?
Usually it is linux who does not want ctrl ln, but it also goes the other way when reading a file?

This problem makes sense if you will, povl fixed the celestial star file and it worked for him (and me a long time ago) then somehow the eol changed I guess.

Many many thanks! Can't wait to try it. Wish I had good programming skills.
The plugin reads the IGRF11.COF file and expects each line to have exactly 80 chars (without counting eols). Depending on how the end of lines are encoded, the entire length could be 81 (if \n is the eol char, unix encoding) or 82 (if \r\n are used, windows encoding).

The plugin expected 81 chars, or else it ended the program (not just returning an error, but terminating the program !). I changed this to expect 80 chars, once all the eol characters are removed.

I suppose the problem came originally from the git newline encoding, the doc on the wiki says to use unix encoding but I suspect someone didn't do it, and checkout'ed the file with the windows encoding.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:45   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Well there is a problem after installing it, all other plugins did not show up anymore. Uninstalling it and they are back.
Why?
Strange, I believe that all that the installer does is copy the dll and data files to proper locations... Maybe there is something about the installer I did bad.

Anyway, even if the other plugins do not show anymore, you are now able to test the celestial plugin and see if it works correctly.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:53   #473

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
Strange, I believe that all that the installer does is copy the dll and data files to proper locations... Maybe there is something about the installer I did bad.

Anyway, even if the other plugins do not show anymore, you are now able to test the celestial plugin and see if it works correctly.
No, it did block the program and I had to kill it and reboot.
Good luck.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:23   #474

Quote:
No, it did block the program and I had to kill it and reboot.
Good luck.
Yeah, same here. Something must be different between the libraries (wxWidgets maybe) used by the official OpenCPN and my compile of the plugin...

It works when I use my locally compiled version of OpenCPN though.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:48   #475

It may come from the fact that I use the opencpn.lib which is generated by my local build.

Where can I find the opencpn.lib which goes with the officially released version ?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:29   #476

Install the opencpn from here: http://popies.net/tmp/opencpn_4.8.0_...1sp1_setup.exe

You can install then the celestial plugin from the previous link, and all plugins will work fine.

Now, all that it's left is to be able to compile the celestial plugin using the same libraries which were used to compile the officially released version. I think some differences between opencpn.lib or wxWidgets makes them incompatible.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:50   #477

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelian View Post
Install the opencpn from here: http://popies.net/tmp/opencpn_4.8.0_...1sp1_setup.exe

You can install then the celestial plugin from the previous link, and all plugins will work fine.

Now, all that it's left is to be able to compile the celestial plugin using the same libraries which were used to compile the officially released version. I think some differences between opencpn.lib or wxWidgets makes them incompatible.
Something is wrong here. all we obtain is a spinning wheel for minutes and have to kill it.
Good luck
Merci pour l'essai.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00   #478

Quote:
Something is wrong here. all we obtain is a spinning wheel for minutes and have to kill it.
Good luck
Merci pour l'essai.
I'm running out of ideas...

On my Windows 10 machine, I uninstalled OpenCPN and all the plugins, manually removed the install directory, then reinstalled my version of opencpn + my version of the celestial plugin, and it works.

Something must be different on your system, but I can't figure what.

Hopefully Rick and the others wil be able to take it from here and finish the work.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:29   #479

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fizz 40' or is it 39'?? :-)

Dear Stelian,

I think, you fixed the problem. However, it does not work with the "official" 4.8.0 version of OpenCPN: If you try to manually copy the .dll into the "Plugins" directory, the Celestial Navigation Plugin will be disabled, when you start up OpenCPN. When you then go to the "Tools" Menu and want to open the "Plugins" tab, OpenCPN crashes. So - as you supposed already - there seems to be an incompatibility with the "official" 4.8.0 version.

Following this, I installed the "SP1" version of 4.8.0.

This version is not compatible with any of the "official" latest plugins. they cannot be enabled. If, however, you now install your Celestial Navigation installation package, Celestial Navigation works like a breeze and even this "transparency problem" is fixed, you see the menu of the plugin clearly in the foreground. Everything is fine.

So, thanks a lot, I think you did a great job in fixing the "real" problem cause. However, I believe somebody who has an overview over all "official versions and the installation requirements for the plugins needs to check into this and get your fix adapted to the "official" version.

For the time being, I am glad, that the problem cause seems to be clearly identified and we now should see, that this is modified into the correct release version, tested and then release to the "official" web site.

Just for you all to see, 1. where my boat is :-) and 2. that everything is fine, I attach the screen shot here....

Thanks again guys, you are just great!!!

Best regards, Uwe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	celestial.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	156987  
HUR450502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:52   #480

Ok, it turns out that I had compiled the plugin against wxWidgets-3.1 (because this is what is recommended by transmitterdan's buildtools), whereas official OpenCPN is compiled against wxWidgets-3.0.

I've recompiled the plugin using the good version of wxWidgets and this time the celestial plugin installs ok on top of an "official" OpenCPN 4.8.0.

Get it here: http://popies.net/tmp/celestial_navi...1sp2-win32.exe

Stelian.

Tags
celestial navigation, navigation