Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 16:54   #346

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Chart Downloader/Updater Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfreddie View Post
Dan:
Its seems the problem is only in ARM Linux Ubuntu & LXDE.
I'm sorry you are having this problem. I cannot help test ARM Linux. As I recall the code that the plug-in uses to digs through the directories looking for out of date chart files is the same code that OpenCPN itself uses to find all the charts.

Are you building against Wx 3.0x? It seems there are fewer problems with this version of WxWidgets but it may not be available for all platforms yet.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 17:16   #347

Boat: I Wish
Send a message via Skype™ to sbfreddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I'm sorry you are having this problem. I cannot help test ARM Linux. As I recall the code that the plug-in uses to digs through the directories looking for out of date chart files is the same code that OpenCPN itself uses to find all the charts.

Are you building against Wx 3.0x? It seems there are fewer problems with this version of WxWidgets but it may not be available for all platforms yet.
Dan:
On the ARM boards yes, I am using Wx 3.0x but on the Mac Mini I am using the normal distribution of OpenCPN from their Website. I believe V4.0 is built with Wx 2.8x and according to Gerhardt Wx 2.8x has an enormous amount of problems on the modern Mac OS's.
I just downloaded all the charts from Argentina, Brazil, and the South China Sea. The only ones that are working OK in their stock directories is Argentina. OpenCPN cannot find the South China Sea (ENC) or Brazil charts. Strange eh?

Thanks,
Freddie
sbfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 00:53   #348

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
On the ARM boards yes, I am using Wx 3.0x but on the Mac Mini I am using the normal distribution of OpenCPN from their Website. I believe V4.0 is built with Wx 2.8x and according to Gerhardt Wx 2.8x has an enormous amount of problems on the modern Mac OS's.
You can't build a Cocoa version with wxWidgets 2.8.x on Mac because 64bit is not supported with older Wx Mac port.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 07:46   #349

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Dan:
I just downloaded all the charts from Argentina, Brazil, and the South China Sea. The only ones that are working OK in their stock directories is Argentina. OpenCPN cannot find the South China Sea (ENC) or Brazil charts. Strange eh?

Thanks,
Freddie
Freddie...
I'm afraid I'm getting a bit lost here, sorry for trying to recapitulate.

Which of your problems are present on which systems and which exact version of OpenCPN and plugin are you using there?

Do we have some repeatable scenario for the charts not found (I take for given that you have the chart directories configured properly and did the chart database rescan/update after downloading any charts, which is a manual operation with OpenCPN 4.0 and the plugin from the standard download page)

No version of OpenCPN for OS X is built with wx2.8 all use wx3.0. I'm not aware of any bug in wxWidgets that affects us in a way that could be connected to what you observe and nobody seems to have ever suggested so.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 12:29   #350

Hi all...
I have just released an update to the chart downloader plugin. It contains only one change - a workaround for a crash caused by an error in the NOAA raster chart catalog released on Friday.
For O 4.0 users not using the NOAA charts or not affected by the crash, there is no need to update at all.

Pavel
Old 24-08-2015, 10:49   #351

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I have really enjoyed reading the intellectual discussion above about stealing (and even chuckled, because I think I know a little about my friends here). It is healthy to have these discussions and it is good that the forum format does not show passion as clearly as in real life!

Pavel (and Dan), thank you for the update to Chartdwnloader I compiled it with opencpn.lib v4.1.818 and it is running in the background like a champ. I think it is non-modal as there is no popup screen, and the download text just blinks showing the progress and all information needed. Thanks again for this great Chart update tool!

PS: The reason I compiled it is when I try to download it from the website, my Norton Backup (yes I still have that) is getting even more aggressive now and removes it with a notice (which I can override). I thought I would try compiling it and Norton did not complain. I wonder if there is some way to submit Opencpn to Norton such that it gets an Open Source designation or something. -Norton is just doing this because the file has "no reputation"!! and they try to name it like a virus!! XXXX-XXXX's!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:13   #352

Boat: BENETEAU

HI,

A new entry in Tracker/Flyspray has been created :

OpenCPN::Tracker Pi - ChartDownloader: Tasklist

Do not hesitate to deposit your features Request, bug declaration...

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:55   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
doc_nl...
I'm aware of this - it is nothing new actually. For now I don't plan to implement it just because of this one file, but it is on the tentative todo list.

Pavel
Update, the Dutch charts are now both in .zip format again instead of .7z
doc_nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 16:23   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_nl View Post
Update, the Dutch charts are now both in .zip format again instead of .7z

Is this a problem? If it is explain and I will see what can be done.
Old 11-11-2015, 16:27   #355

No it used to be a problem because the updater couldn't uncompress the 7-zip format, but luckily the switched to normal .zip again. So that is fixed.

What I did notice was that the updater doesn't seem to pickup newer versions of the file.

http://www.vaarweginformatie.nl/fdd/...ileId=40856122

http://www.vaarweginformatie.nl/fdd/...ileId=89846081

should be the right links (maybe strip the sessionid) I don't know for sure if they change if when a new version is uploaded.

ENC - Fairway Information Services Here is the links are posted
Old 12-11-2015, 06:22   #356

doc_nl,

I downloaded the Nederland.zip file but it shows as an invalid zip file on my Windows 10 system. Neither can the chart downloader unzip the file. I tried with 7-Zip and it says the last file in the .zip is invalid. So it would seem that Nederland cartographers should look at this but I have no idea how to tell them about this problem.

Dan
Old 12-11-2015, 06:38   #357

Yeah the download seems to be flakey...

Took me a few times to download it manually. Should be around 77.818Kb for Nederland.zip and 37.580Kb for 20151106_U6Inland_Week45_NL.zip
Old 12-11-2015, 19:09   #358

Guys...
I went "fishing" and the internet in the south of Mexico is not exactly great, the chart catalogs update to the latest versions of the charts will have to wait for something like a week.
If someone sends a pull request on github, I can certainly merge it faster, but won't be able to do the editing on the phone myself I'm afraid...

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-11-2015, 19:20   #359

Pavel,

I don't think any change to the plugin is needed. What needs updating is the .xml file on the github server (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ch...NC_Catalog.xml).

I think this is what it should be:
Code:
<RncProductCatalogChartCatalogs><Header><title>Netherland Inland ENC Charts</title><date_created>2015-10-11</date_created><time_created>02:09:03</time_created><date_valid>2015-10-11</date_valid><time_valid>02:09:03</time_valid><dt_valid>2015-11-10T02:09:03Z</dt_valid><ref_spec>Subset of NOAA Rnc Product Catalog Technical Specifications</ref_spec><ref_spec_vers>1.0</ref_spec_vers><s62AgencyCode>0</s62AgencyCode></Header>
<chart><number>1</number><title>Nederland, version 32</title><format>Sailing Chart, International Chart</format><zipfile_location>http://vaarweginformatie.nl/fdd/main/download?fileId=40856122</zipfile_location><zipfile_datetime>20151110_000000</zipfile_datetime><zipfile_datetime_iso8601>2015-11-10T00:00:00Z</zipfile_datetime_iso8601><target_filename>Nederland.zip</target_filename></chart>
<chart><number>1-1</number><title>Zeeland Compleet week 45-2015 (version 1)</title><format>Sailing Chart, International Chart</format><zipfile_location>http://vaarweginformatie.nl/fdd/main/download?fileId=89846081</zipfile_location><zipfile_datetime>20151110_000000</zipfile_datetime><zipfile_datetime_iso8601>2015-11-10T00:00:00Z</zipfile_datetime_iso8601><target_filename>20151106_U6Inland_Week45_NL.zip</target_filename></chart>
<!--<chart><number>1-2</number><title>Zeeland Reissue kwartaal 45-2015 (version 1)</title><format>Sailing Chart, International Chart</format><zipfile_location>http://www.vaarweginformatie.nl/fdd/main/download?fileId=75582120</zipfile_location><zipfile_datetime>20150703_000000</zipfile_datetime><zipfile_datetime_iso8601>2015-07-03T00:00:00Z</zipfile_datetime_iso8601><target_filename>20150702_U6Inland_Reissue_NL.zip</target_filename></chart>-->
</RncProductCatalogChartCatalogs>
Pull request submitted, but this is going to get old if they keep changing the URL of the current chart zip file.

Enjoy the fishing....
Old 16-12-2015, 09:31   #360

It appears Netherlands changed the files again today.

Also, I still cannot download a good compressed file most of the time. Every once in a while one of the files works but usually I get an incomplete file from their server. This happens regardless whether I download with a web browser or with the Chart Downloader plugin. I have sent an email to Rijkswaterstaat requesting help with this issue. We will see if they respond. I think they might want to help with this issue.

Tags
charts