Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 16:36   #121

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: Chart Downloader/Updater Plugin

Pavel,

Some comments on the documentation:
1."find instructions for your OS. Please follow these instructions carefully." on my system (W7 and chrome) when you download a file it goes to the download folder and the files have to be moved somewhere. Move them to the OpenCPN folder and/or the Plugin folder?
2.During the installation we are asked if we want to set a directory. You should tell the first time user (who has no charts) to skip this.
3. "5. Catalog Entered
Here the "RNC_Catalog_02_Region..has been entered into the top window. The catalog "Add" date is shown, and (by pulling out the Options window you can see...) re-sizing the options window? (Also I can't resize the New chart source window as seen in the documentation)
4. You are probably running a different vers than me but, the second screen section has todays date not the "latest chart date".
5. " 9. Three charts downloaded with "Show local files" Menu" I think I had to download at least twice before the charts showed up with the "show local files".

I think the documentation is fairly clear for those who have no existing charts; especially if you use the default directory. Make sure the exe program tells the new user to skip the chart directory selection.

Now for my concerns.
1. NOAA has three main ways to download charts: States, CG Districts and Regions. To be comprehensive the user should be allowed to pick one of the three. Currently: Users who want 2 or 3 states will have to decide which region (s) to pick. Users who have directories organized around CG districts have a similar problem and both may end up downloading superfluous charts. Yes we don't have to check all the boxes; but who knows the names of all the charts they may need.
2. Since I have a directory for each CG district( and yes I already have superfluous charts) and I have created groups that may cross district boundaries (the ICWW) will I have to redo groups?
3. I need to know how to organize my current NOAA charts so that the chart loader replaces the outdated chart and doesn't simply point to the newer chart. I may be wrong but this seems to be happening now. It's kin of hard to tell since the chart loader gives the name of the chart but they are stored by chart #.

I have a new system (miix 2) and I want to use the chart loader to populate it if I can find a way to organize around CG districts.

If I were a new user I would use it with no caveats.
Old 01-02-2015, 17:35   #122

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

1. In windows, from the download folder you can click on the file and execute it, picking the correct version of Opencpn if you have multiples...
2. During install, asked to set a directory. -Was not aware of asking for a directory... I guess I must do a virgin fresh install.
3. Can't resize window.... different version... Well I am using the one on Opencpn File Thingie. You could try that one if you wanted.
4. Chart date --this is being worked on now. Thanks for noting.

----
You might read the Existing User Documentation next. It should help with how to reorganize your charts. - Specifically targeted to that.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 18:06   #123

It occurs to me that we may be asking too much of one PI. There seems to be 2 major requirements:
1. Seamlessly get a firs-time US (or maybe Brasilian) user's charts loaded and operational. His/her only decision would be what state, CG district or "Region" to select.
2. Once loaded and configured in a potentially large number of directory structures, we would like to have the charts updated on demand. One would, at most, point to the highest level in the RNC (or ENC) directory tree and request a list of outdated charts, most likely select all, and take a nap. There is one (at least) troubling question= what happens when there is a completely new chart.
Old 01-02-2015, 19:20   #124

Boat: Valiant 42

In the US the chart catalogs are provided by CG districts, regions or states. You can set up CG districts using the custom setup. Here is an example how to set up Coast Guard district 01:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cgd.png
Views:	203
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	96402  
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 19:27   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
It occurs to me that we may be asking too much of one PI. There seems to be 2 major requirements:
1. Seamlessly get a firs-time US (or maybe Brasilian) user's charts loaded and operational. His/her only decision would be what state, CG district or "Region" to select.
2. Once loaded and configured in a potentially large number of directory structures, we would like to have the charts updated on demand. One would, at most, point to the highest level in the RNC (or ENC) directory tree and request a list of outdated charts, most likely select all, and take a nap. There is one (at least) troubling question= what happens when there is a completely new chart.
#2 is conceptually very difficult. We can't tell by looking at a chart file how to find it's most recent version. We need the catalog first to know the most recent date of a chart. Once we have the catalog we know all we need to check the most recent date as well as know when a new chart is available. The plugin handles new charts just fine. If a new chart shows up in a catalog it will be flagged as new so you can download it.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:16   #126

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Wd. We did have individual States to download, however this is more cumbersome than using Coast Guard Regions so we asked Pavel to us regions, permit more reasonable download selections and packages. You will need to stretch out the window to see which states, if you do not know your Coast Guard District.

I think the chartdownloader is doing the job needed, however your input is very helpful. Please check out the wiki for existing users too. It explains some of the mechanics and file structure so you can adjust your chart config to the predefined structure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:56   #127

I managed to get Opencpn thoroughly messed up and had to do a clean install.

I have run the uninstall for chartdldr, and deleted the bits it added to the chart directories.

I am ready to reinstall the three files I got from sourceforge; they are: curl-ca-bundle.crt, chartdldr_pi-0.5win32.exe, and ChartDownloader-PI.pkg.

The last time I installed this PI I put all three in /ProgramFiles/Opencpn/ folder. I'm aware that the exe doesn't have to be there but how about the other 2 files?
Old 02-02-2015, 16:23   #128

Boat: Phantom 19

Wdkester...
You just run the exe, the other 2 files are useless for you.

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 18:00   #129

OK thanks Pavel. I think I have a clean Opencpn install and a clean PI install. I have successfully updated CGD 05, 07, 09. However I'm getting the same failure that I got before on CGD 01. See the screen shot-- I do have an internet connection. I can't see anything different about cgd 01 and the others. I'm pointing to BSB_ROOT in all cases.

6:00:35 PM: PlugInManager: Initializing PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
6:00:35 PM: Opencpn language reload for: en_US
6:00:35 PM: Loading catalog for: opencpn-chartdldr_pi
6:00:35 PM: Loading catalog for opencpn core.
6:12:50 PM: PlugInManager: Deactivating PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
6:12:50 PM: opencpn::MyFrame exiting cleanly.
6:12:50 PM: Chart cache purge
6:12:50 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
6:12:50 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\dashboard_pi.dll
6:12:50 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\ge2kap_pi.dll
6:12:50 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\gecomapi_win32_pi16_v010_pi. dll
6:12:50 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\grib_pi.dll
6:12:50 PM: PlugInManager: UnLoading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\statusbar_win32_pi110_v02_pi .dll
6:12:50 PM: Chart cache purge
6:12:50 PM: LOGBOOK: 2015-02-03 00:12:50 UTC OFF: Lat 0.00000 Lon 0.00020
6:12:50 PM: opencpn::MyApp exiting cleanly...
Old 02-02-2015, 18:33   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
OK thanks Pavel. I think I have a clean Opencpn install and a clean PI install. I have successfully updated CGD 05, 07, 09. However I'm getting the same failure that I got before on CGD 01. See the screen shot-- I do have an internet connection. I can't see anything different about cgd 01 and the others. I'm pointing to BSB_ROOT in all cases.
No screen shot was in the post. Can you tell me what failure you are getting? Also, tell us exactly what you have entered in the "Edit Chart Source" dialog for URL and Chart Directory.

I have noticed that the servers sometimes fail to supply a file. Usually a second pass will get any files missed on the first try.
Old 02-02-2015, 19:50   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
No screen shot was in the post. Can you tell me what failure you are getting? Also, tell us exactly what you have entered in the "Edit Chart Source" dialog for URL and Chart Directory.

I have noticed that the servers sometimes fail to supply a file. Usually a second pass will get any files missed on the first try.
I don't know why I can't attach a screen shot. Just tried again. The msg -
Failed to download
RNC Product Catalog 01 CGD
Verify that there is a working Internet

It happens consistently with this district and with any ENC district I've tried.

What I entered-
Name - CGD01 RNC
URL - RNC Product Catalog 01 CGD
Chart Directory - C:\Users\Jean\Daves Stuff\Charts\US RNC Charts by District\District 1 -NE\BSB_ROOT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chartdldr.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	96470  
Old 02-02-2015, 19:58   #132

David,

Does it download exactly zero charts or does it miss some and get some?
Old 02-02-2015, 20:01   #133

David,

I just did this and it worked perfectly. The problems is capitalization of the URL I think.

Use this:
Code:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/RNCs/01CGD_RNCProdCat.xml
Old 02-02-2015, 20:07   #134

Quote:
David,

Does it download exactly zero charts or does it miss some and get some?
No chrts are downloaded. I had it get interrupted on districts with many charts.
Old 02-02-2015, 20:13   #135

Quote:
David,

I just did this and it worked perfectly. The problems is capitalization of the URL I think.

Use this:
Code:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/RNCs/01CGD_RNCProdCat.xml
I did a copy and paste. It still fails. I'm thinking my CGD 01 file is corrupted. I'm going to delete and download it again using the NOAA downloader or maybe just delete all the charts in this folder.

Tags
charts