Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01   #16

Re: Chart Problems on Raspberry Pi

I have been trying opencpn on my Raspberry Pi and had it working on the original debian wheezy but have never got it to work with the hard float version. I thought I would give it another go since I upgraded and overclocked to 1Ghz today. I recompiled but I am still not seeing Cm93 charts. It is just black. I can draw routes and OpenCPN runs fine and is considerably faster with the new overclocked settings and I have compiled with the suggested "pAVR = ( double * ) malloc ( 8 )" but still no Cm93 charts. I notice under the vector charts tab the open mariners standard list is empty. I wondered if this is moving forward because I would love to see if the Pi is a good machine to have on-board.

Alisdair. I wonder if you could share your binaries as an exercise?
Any help would be appreciated because I am sure the Pi could be used for more than streaming music on-board.

Cheers
jimseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 01:48   #17

Boat: Westerly Renown

I think this will improve the situation dramatically !! 512 ram:

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!
Model B now ships with 512MB of RAM
stuartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 09:06   #18

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

jimseng, I don't know if this will help, and you're more experienced than I, but I had a similar problem when building/compiling a Windows development debug version of 3.1.xxx beta. Here's the thread and post Dave, JesperWe and others helped. The log files looked ok, you can check them. Then see note #81
Quote:
IF VECTOR CHARTS OR CM93ed2 charts are not working....

Found opencpn.log in c:\programdata\opencpn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason
7:47:26 AM: ChartSymbols ConfigFile not found: C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\s57data\chartsymbols.xml

7:47:26 AM: S52PLIB: Cannot open S52 rules file: C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\s57data\S52RAZDS.RLE

From JesperWe:

Aha!! I totally forgot about that :-D

Since you are running from the debugger, the program wants to pick up its s57data folder in C:\Data-Dart\Up-Soft\Navigation\opencpn-git\build\s57data, not from the location of the installed copy. So you need to put a copy of the installed s57data folder in that location.

Or you can copy it from the source tree, OpenCPN/data/s57data

Thanks Dave and JesperWe
Don't know if that helps on a raspberry_pi with a different OS...
...Are we going to have thumbdrives running OpenCpn using only 3 watts...next year?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 10:05   #19

Ooh. That is interesting. I will investigate and see if I can get it working. Thanks for that. With the new 512 mb version it is getting closer to a really interesting device.
Old 21-10-2012, 09:22   #20

Unfortunately still no luck. Just a black screen. Actually I hadn't got as far as make install. But even after installing it to /usr/local/bin and running it from there I still can't see my charts. The log shows it is loading chart symbols and the charts. Any more ideas would be appreciated.
Old 26-10-2012, 14:46   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimseng View Post
Ooh. That is interesting. I will investigate and see if I can get it working. Thanks for that. With the new 512 mb version it is getting closer to a really interesting device.
Not wanting ot step on anyones toes but isn't a device like the MK808 v2 or MK808 II the better choice with 1GB RAM, 4 GB Flash, a 1Ghz CPU, Wifi and 3x USB. Supports dual boot of Android and Linux, can handle full HD video. Around 70USD

Can probably be used as a Wifi nmea multiplexer to feed the iNavX apps on the ipad.

I know the RPi is cheaper but after you add a case, a power supply and WiFI the difference is pretty small. And this device can act as a video station (and game station), too.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 13:24   #22

Anyone got a definitive answer to Opencpn/rPi yet please? I have the 512 ram version but still have all my original problems when it tries to open the chart folder!

Thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 13:55   #23

Boat: Albin Vega, 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
Anyone got a definitive answer to Opencpn/rPi yet please? I have the 512 ram version but still have all my original problems when it tries to open the chart folder!

Thanks
I have it running on the lower memory Pi for raster and CM93 charts. I can't get it working for ENC vector charts.

Rasbian armhf vanilla SD card image.

You have to compile OpenCPN for yourself; I haven't tried the latest version.

Raster charts work fine.

As described earlier in the thread, the important CM93 line that needs to be changed is "pAVR = ( double * ) malloc ( 8 );"

I spent a day digging around and was able to move the problem on a little, but had to give up due to work pressures.

I haven't create a .deb package that I can share as last time I tried it wouldn't load because of incompatible architecture; I suspect it might be to do with a line in a make .txt file ARCH="armel" rather than ARCH"=armhf" ... but it's only a guess, and I won't have time to investigate for a few weeks.
Alisdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 14:00   #24

[QUOTE=Alisdair;1100266]I have it running on the lower memory Pi for raster and CM93 charts. I can't get it working for ENC vector charts.

[QUOTE]

I'm sure it's not just a memory problem; NCacheLimit and MEMCacheLimit don't appear to make a difference, and quilting of CM93 and raster charts works OK.

BTW, if you get this far you'll need to hit CTRL/B to pop the chart selection banner as it's hidden.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:52   #25

Hi,
Thanks for your time.
I've compiled afresh from the latest stable sources. All working bar the chart problem, this time I have the initial world map in colour rather than monochrome as before.
"pAVR = ( double * ) malloc ( 8 );" ?? How, where, when?

Should I have done this before install? If so, how?

Thanks
Stuart
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02   #26

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for your time.
I've compiled afresh from the latest stable sources. All working bar the chart problem, this time I have the initial world map in colour rather than monochrome as before.

Thanks
Stuart
You do it before you compile - look for the line in cm93.cpp (or similar, I don't have the information to hand)

Alisdair
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04   #27

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks for your time.

Thanks
Stuart
It should work with raster charts though.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50   #28

Alisdair,

I'll recompile later. I only have cm93 charts.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2012, 07:17   #29

Boat: On the Hard

Quote:
I know the RPi is cheaper but after you add a case, a power supply and WiFI the difference is pretty small. And this device can act as a video station (and game station), too.
Thanks for the heads up. These are sweet and run linux and android based on a very cursory google search.

/ch
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 13:13   #30

Quote:

Thanks
I've put some instructions and a working package here:

PiChart

I'll be out of the country for a couple of weeks so doubt I'll be around to answer any questions arising.

Alisdair