Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 06:38   #1

Boat: Passport 40
Chartdownloader compatibility problem with Vista

I recently upgraded an older opencpn version to most recent 4.8.6 on a notebook running Windows Vista SP2. The chart downloader tab does not display, and it does not display in the list of plugins in the options window.

The CHARTDLDR_PI.DLL is present in the plugins directory and the associated directory for the dll also exists.

The logfile shows this relevant error:

6:06:08 AM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll
6:06:08 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll' (error 127: the specified procedure could not be found.)
6:06:08 AM: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins\chartdldr_pi.dll

Running dependency walker (depends.exe) on the dll shows that it loads the archive.dll which in turn trys to load bcrypt.dll which has a missing export for BCryptDeriveKeyPBKDF2. See attachment for screenshot.

The version of the bcrypt.dll is:

It looks like a backwards compatibility problem with the crypto library. Is there any workaround that you can suggest? Or could the library be changed to use GetProcAddress or similar on the missing function if it is not universally needed by the app?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	depends.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	178487  
JeffBeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:08   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Chartdownloader compatibility problem with Vista

I’m still running 2.whatever on my Vista machine. After this I think I’ll upgrade the hardware before upgrading OpenCPN.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:57   #3

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Chartdownloader compatibility problem with Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBeller View Post
Is there any workaround that you can suggest?
Build from source.
Quote:
Or could the library be changed to use GetProcAddress or similar on the missing function if it is not universally needed by the app?
There is nothing to be changed, all that is needed is to rebuild and link against old enough crypto libraries. Which in change will start another round of problems with servers using modern crypto.

Upgrade your system to something adequate for the year, be it a Microsoft supported Windows release or other platform like Linux, that is the best advice I have.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa