Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2010, 09:57   #16

Boat: Dufour 35
Has anyone looked at using cpack to build a release on Windows? Here is a start: CMake:Component Install With CPack - KitwarePublic
As we now have Cmake, why not test cpack?

It would be great if someone could release a windows binary for each opencpn beta build.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 10:24   #17
Marine Service Provider

Thomas....

Great idea. I don't know much about cpack, but sounds pretty useful.

I feel bad that we don't have a Windows setup .exe for each CVS Beta update, but it is a simple practical matter for me. I work on-board, usually at anchor, and often (mostly) with marginal 5 mile Wifi connections. CVS checkins are just manageable, but 8 MB FTP uploads of the Windows setup .exe are regularly impossible. Jerry, Will, and I are working to improve this situation by enabling a login shell for me to the Beta host, so that I can do partial uploads with retries using rsync. Maybe this will help.

Still waiting for Sourceforge $$ donations to happen, so that I can fund a wireless network upgrade for the bigdumboat.....

Meanwhile, lets look at cpack, and maybe get a volunteer to take over building, alpha testing, and uploading the Windows setup .exe independently at each CVS update.

Comments? Volunteers?
Dave

btw: Have you tested the new API gps library support added recently? I have no good gpsd configuration just now....
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 11:07   #18

Boat: Dufour 35
Dave

No need to feel bad....you do more than enough as it is.
It's just common sense that you should not have to think about all the binary releases. There are enough with capable users around to handle that, with the right setup.
I just came across cpack the other day. To build a deb pack is as easy as issuing
Code:
 sudo cpack -G DEB
if you first did a cd to the build directory.
This package gets version number from "VERSION.cmake" (thanks for fixing this file in 526a). Swap DEB for RPM and you get a rpm package. The question is only if this rpm built on Ubuntu is any good for the rpm distros?
Many more options for cpack of course.
If cpack for windows is anything like the *nix cpack a build should be a "piece of cake", ......hopefully.

No time right now to test the new gps library support, hopefully over the weekend.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 18:08   #19

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
I'm now able to successful build 527 with Cmake in debug as well as release with VS2010
champ8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 12:12   #20

Boat: Fantasia 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ8242 View Post
Paul,

Are you able to compile for release? I'm able to do the exact same thing, running VS 2010 in debug. I'm not able to compile in release yet. A VSProject file like in the build\msw directory compiles in debug as well in release

Bart
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ8242 View Post
I'm now able to successful build 527 with Cmake in debug as well as release with VS2010
Bart,

Yes! Debug size is 6.92 mb and release size is 3.52 mb. The release version seems to be a little bit quicker. I haven't tried Cpack yet.

Congratulations on your successes.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:14   #21

All,

A bit illegal but for a good cause I installed OSX Snow Leopard on a laptop I have with the intention of setting it up as a temp development machine to try and see if I could create a Mac exe for release.

Any pointers on previous Mac successes?

Bart
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16   #22

As a cross platform issue.

I'm running VS2010 as development environment. Last night I've supplied the latest build to a user. User was complaining msvcp100.dll missing.

This is the new msvcrt for VS2010. I saw in the OPenCPN (windows) install directory the Microsoft.VC80.CRT directory. This might need to be changed to the new \redist\x86\Microsoft.VC100.CRT package. I don't know if this is downwards compatible, will find out

Bart
Old 10-06-2010, 22:24   #23

Boat: Forgus 31
Send a message via Skype™ to balp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Thomas....

Meanwhile, lets look at cpack, and maybe get a volunteer to take over building, alpha testing, and uploading the Windows setup .exe independently at each CVS update.
I think we have all that is needed for the exe install in cmake at the moment, just install the nullsoft installer maker and you get a exe file out whan you make the package. Personally i prefere msi packages that cpack don't make.

I have no windows mackine, so i can't take that autobuild. At least no windows mahine at the moment.

I could set u making deb's and auto uploading someware.

/ Balp
balp is offline   Reply With Quote