Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 20:01   #16

Re: cmake help for a total noob

Everything compiled fine with source from the other day. Program ran fine from debug directory.

At this point, my biggest limitation is my almost total lack of C++ skills. I've never done Object Oriented language, never done C, never done a GUI. My experience is limited to FORTRAN, BASIC, Excel macro language (pre-VBA), HTML 2.0, etc. Really out of date.

I'm going through some online stuff at learncpp.com, and simultaneously poking around in your code to see what I can absorb. Right now I've been going through chcanv.cpp to get an understanding of the context sensitive menus. I noticed that right-clicking with a mouse on AIS targets, routes, tracks, etc. simultaneously brings up BOTH the context menu and the yellow info box. One a computer, hitting the ESC key kills the menu but leaves the yellow box in place (because the mouse pointer is hovering). For tablet optimization, I would love to figure out how to add an "Esc" menu item to the context-sensitive menues that simply issues the escape character (since tablets do not have a physical keyboard). Ideally this should be near the top of each menu, so that an experienced user could do a tap-hold followed by a tap in (almost) the same spot to emulate Esc. This would effectively create a new gesture of tap-hold-tap to emulate a hover.

I mentioned this idea over in the tablet optimization thread, and should probably enter a Flyspray request for it. But I thought it might be a good first project to try on my own. It will take me some time to understand how you are declaring variables, defining functions, etc. It looks like every single menu is custom-designed for context. Is there some "master menu" that could create Esc on every menu with a single command?
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 20:22   #17

I just realized that even if I could construct the menu item, the process of clicking "Esc" would move the cursor so that the yellow info box would disappear unless there was some special functionality that prevented the mouse from moving in response to the click. But I have a feeling that that is a system function that would be very hard to override.

I also noticed that on a computer if I click the menu header ("AIS" "Route" "Waypoint") very close to the original click (within a few pixels), the menu disappers and the yellow info box stays visible because the mouse is within whatever zone size is defined. (Not sure of the terminology.) Unfortunately, tapping is lower precision than mousing, so this is not practical for a touchscreen. Maybe that zone size could be increased through .ini file setting?
Old 26-02-2014, 14:59   #18

Boat: Phantom 19

RD...
Just a little suggestion: Instead of simulating keypresses that don't exist, try to fix the logic displaying/hiding stuff in some understandable way, it will save yourself and especially the others having to figure out why you did what you did a lot of headache.
The compilation docs updated.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 20:04   #19

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I don't intend to pollute your code. I was just looking at it to get familiar with the structure, and how I might take a crack at this.

I have some other ideas about how to tweak the UI for touchscreen, but I'll put them into the Touchscreen optimization thread. Also a couple more links from MSDN website around the demise of hover support thanks to tablets. I can't post it tonight, though, I need to go to bed.