Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 09:28   #1

cmake help for a total noob

I have installed Visual C++ Express 2010 and the other utilities recommended for compiling O in Windows. xwWidgets 2.8.12 compiled fine from the command line. I followed all the directions for environment variables, etc. and rebooted the computer to make sure everything restarted from scratch.

When I issued:
cmake -G „Visual Studio 10“ ..

I got the following error message:

C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
Could NOT find Gettext (missing: GETTEXT_MSGMERGE_EXECUTABLE
GETTEXT_MSGFMT_EXECUTABLE)

I realize that I should be able to go into the .cmake file and figure it out, but my skills aren't quite at that level yet.

I have not tried using the GUI version of cmake yet. Would that give me better diagnostics?

I can send CMakeOutput.log, if that helps. But it's not saying much (at least to my limited language skills). Down near the bottom, that file says:

Build succeeded.
0 Warning(s)
0 Error(s)

Also, another really naive question for you. What's the purpose of the "upside down" quote mark in „Visual Studio 10“? I don't have that readily available on my keyboard. So far I've just used the regular " for both, and it seems to work. Is it just for easy display, so you can tell the open quote from the closed quote? Or is there other functionality that could get me in trouble if I don't use it?

Thanks!

RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:39   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: cmake help for a total noob

RD...
It means you don't have gettext installed or it is not in your path.
Quote:
Gettext

Install Poedit from Poedit - it's version of gettext is the best available out there.
Add gettext to your PATH - if you installed Poedit, right-click My Computer, select Properties... and on the Advanced tab click on Environment Variables button and add C:\Program Files\Poedit\bin to the PATH system variable
The weird quote mark is a product of the wiki trying to make the text beautiful, a normal quote should be there of course. Fixed now.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
RD...
It means you don't have gettext installed or it is not in your path.
The weird quote mark is a product of the wiki trying to make the text beautiful, a normal quote should be there of course. Fixed now.

Pavel
Here's my full PATH. Poedit is in there. Is there a 256 character limit that I'm exceeding? If so, how should I modify?

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;c:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%Sy stemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\ System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\SnapAPI\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\cmd;C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake 2.8\bin;C:\Program Files\Poedit\bin;C:\wxWidgets-2.8.12\lib\vc_dll

[EDIT: Looks like there are some duplicate entries in there that I should take out.]
Old 23-02-2014, 09:50   #4

RD...
Your system is obviously 64-bit so it got installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Poedit\bin, if you correct the path, you should be fine.

Pavel
Old 23-02-2014, 09:54   #5

Quote:
RD...
Your system is obviously 64-bit so it got installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Poedit\bin, if you correct the path, you should be fine.

Pavel

Old 23-02-2014, 11:24   #6

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

RD you are doing great & Nohal

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 11:29   #7

Nohal is helping too. There is a thread for development environment that I started some time ago which might also help as you get into it more. Lots of it is from pavel' s help and other parts are my learning experience. It's a good community!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-02-2014, 12:46   #8

Thanks for all the help. Still having the same problem after correcting the PATH entry. I'll try rebooting first, but I'm out of time for now (wife is calling). I'll also do some searching for rgleason's environment thread first before asking any more questions - maybe my answer is in there somewhere.
Old 23-02-2014, 14:12   #9

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=87680

Found the thread and was able to cut and paste url from inside the cruisers forum app. It may not be what you need but who knows. I'm willing to help in whatever way possible. The more who know stuff and can help, the better. Hakan started out the same way and is now able to contribute code and is a stellar sleuth and debugger. Wish I was as good.

Best
Rick

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-02-2014, 14:14   #10

Ps: I am using win7x64 so that may help to know as it is written from that perspective.

Old 23-02-2014, 20:59   #11

Quote:
RD...

Pavel
FYI, I made the appropriate change to PATH, rebooted my machine, and issued

cmake -G "Visual Studio 10" ..

I still get the same error message. Do you have other suggestions?

Old 23-02-2014, 22:57   #12

Try to find where msgfmt.exe really is. If you added the right path to the PATH environment variable, there really shouldn't be any problem that comes to mind... And maybe also try to delete the file called CMakeCache.txt in your build directory, although I think cmake should rerun the failed tests even without that.

Pavel
Old 24-02-2014, 03:16   #13

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1475030

My path which might give you some help, from effort to compile pluggins separately. I'm currently having trouble with nmake. .... nerd to try bdcat suggestion at bottom.

Old 25-02-2014, 17:13   #14

Quote:
Try to find where msgfmt.exe really is. If you added the right path to the PATH environment variable, there really shouldn't be any problem that comes to mind... And maybe also try to delete the file called CMakeCache.txt in your build directory, although I think cmake should rerun the failed tests even without that.

Pavel
Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I've been out of the house a lot, so unable to follow up.

I fixed the problem. The correct PATH variable is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Poedit\GettextTools\bin

The \GettextTools part was missing from the path before. You might want to correct the documentation page to reflect this. I realize I should have known better, but I just copied/pasted the path that was shown there.

The configuration completed successfully. It's building now as I write.

Thanks for helping to get me started.
Old 25-02-2014, 19:42   #15

Rd...
Good that you are going. I haven't updated my windoze toolchain for quite some time so didn't know about the change in poedit's dir structure. Let me know when you step on more stuff like this.

Pavel