Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2023, 03:48   #1

Communication between OpenPlotter, OpenCPN and SignalK

I have a problem with o-charts which just went missing and I was asked to upgrade OpenCPN to 5.8.4 which I have done (charts still missing, o-charts involved). However, in doing this I seem to have moved over to using SignalK for my gps usb puck.

Is there somewhere an idiot's guide to how the communication works between the three pieces of software I have now integrated (there is also PyPilot which I haven't looked at it - working on current problem at home). I also get AIS from a VHF over the YAKKER device but that's on the boat so not tested yet.

I understand that SignalK is to replace both NMEA communications, but I am not really sure what and how OpenCPN is able to get info from a device. The usb gps I have attached (to my RPi) gives location but I can't see anything in the NMEA debug window. Does that mean NMEA data only exists at the lowest level and all other info comes via the SignalK server in non NMEA format? If so, how do you access it?

My ideal is really setting up a system over winter and then using it without touching it for the rest of the year. Unfortunately, the charts just went missing for some unknown reason; and, of course, just before I was going off on a cruise.
PhilipL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 07:11   #2

Re: Communication between OpenPlotter, OpenCPN and SignalK

I have managed to wade through the literature and have it sorted. Many days!
PhilipL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn