Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2023, 13:56   #1

Boat: Ganley 39
Compatible GPS in NZ market

For the Kiwi members. I would really appreciate recommendations for compatible GPS devices available in the NZ market. Many thanks 👍
Gunner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 03:07   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Compatible GPS in NZ market

compatible with what?
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 03:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuku34 View Post
compatible with what?
Supported or easily integrated within OpenCPN. New to this space, just seeking some friendly advice.
Old 19-07-2023, 03:50   #4

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner22 View Post
Supported or easily integrated within OpenCPN. New to this space, just seeking some friendly advice.
Let me take a wild guess here, you're running OpenCPN on one of these operating systems: win 10, win 7, win 11, Apple, Android, iPad, Linux or possibly jet fuel? Go on, give us a clue.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 05:03   #5

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

To the OP. I wasn't being unfriendly in my question; in fact, I like to be helpful, especially to folks new to the Forum.
However if you ask a question, it is helpful to us on the forum (and you will get a quicker answer) if you give as much detail as possible.
If you call a mechanic and say "I'm having trouble with my car" they will surly want to know the make and model and what the trouble is.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 12:58   #6

I'm planning a new crusier fit out for offshore sailing. Initially around NZ. The Open cpn solution will be running Win 10. I have a blank canvas, no pre existing components, to integrate with.

Having got ocpn going I thought I would start with position because I think I can test on a bench rather than in situ on the boat. The end state will include ais, depth, radar. Potentially wind and self steer.

Assume base ocpn in the saloon, likely portable screen share in the cockpit while underway. But willing to take advice as I can adjust internal boat layout to some extent.

I'm a looking for the best foundation for the end state rather than something expedient since it needs to be reliable, safe, with redundecy where practical, and last for some time, so willing to pay for these qualities.

Happy to purchase offshore but for warranty and support reasons some components may be best sourced locally.

No specific time constrats. Keen to learn, but obviously new to ocpn, and not precisely sure where to start so willing to receive strategic advice on the approach and tractical advice on specific components.

Hope this is a good opportunity for those with experience to advise on on getting a solid new solution with few constraints done right

Happy to take off line if my lack of knowledge is inappropriate for this public level of disclosure. Happy to provide more info. Happy to close this thread and start again too.

Many thanks
Old 19-07-2023, 13:03   #7

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 19-07-2023, 14:48   #8

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

For basic use you could get a USB GPS on Amazon/Ebay etc. - that will get you up and running with location, ground speed, direction of movement.

If you plan AIS in future then you need to know that you get AIS receiver (no GPS) or AIS transponder (normally built in GPS) - if you go the transponder route then the USB unit should be disconnected as Ocpn doesn't like duplicate sources.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 14:50   #9

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

USB GPS can be obtained for real cheap, so get yourself one of those in the mean time to get up and running (also keep for redundancy in future).
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 14:55   #10

Boat: Morgan 382

If you are fitting out a boat, then get a yacht devices or actisense NMEA2000 to wifi adapter. That will work with OCPN wirelessly, and also with ipads and android devices using Navionics. You also get all your instrumentation and AIS information in OCPN as well as GPS. Hands down far better than a GPS puck or something connected to the laptop.

You can get a GPS puck if you like as a backup, but I don't recommend it as primary.

https://actisense.com/products/w2k-1...-wifi-gateway/
https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_gateway.html
Old 22-07-2023, 13:48   #11

Boat: 31ft tank

Top of the line https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/gps-a...ith-usb-bundle

or buy one like I use https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/b...ing/4234586005
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps