Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 14:27   #1

Convert AIVDM to AIVDO for this MMSI

I try to convert AIVDM into AIVDO but see nothing appear in the NMEA Debug window. I tried several settings and also made some adjustments to the opencpn.conf file but nothing seems to work. In the past there was something to do about this subject but I assume that they are solved or implemented in this release (v4.2).

The situation is as follows: I have a Windows 10 computer which runs AISDispatcher. Another (Linux mint) computer runs OpenCPN and is connected via UDP. All ships in the area can be seen with OCPN, so that’s working well I believe.

Now I want to convert one of the received positions like it is my own. I thought it can be done with translating VDM into VDO but nothing happens except the specific target disappears.

Is this future enabled with OCPN or do I have to install additional software for conversion like AISHub.
m_bst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 14:40   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Convert AIVDM to AIVDO for this MMSI

Use NmeaConverter_pi which will make the change. I am not sure if Pavel has that on the Download 4.2 plugins. If not, you could ask him to add it as it is very useful.

Alternatively you could try the version on File Thingie. Check the SHA code first.
See the User Manual > External Plugins for directions and examples.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 15:46   #3

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Convert AIVDM to AIVDO for this MMSI

This converted AIVDO is not usable to provide ownship information for OpenCPN, simply the data is not fresh (=accurate) enough given how often it is transmitted.
The AIVDM->AIVDO translation is there simply to get rid of AIS alarms in case the transponder is not behaving correctly or you get your own AIVDM data through a "loop" from a device receiving your own transmissions. You will have to generate your fake own position reports outside of OpenCPN. AIS | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote