Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 14:56   #46

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Convert TIFF Image into Map KAP

Rob...
Perhaps have a look at XnView Software · nConvert
And as it looks like you are a Windows user, wouldn't GE2KAP serve your goals?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 04:59   #47

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

Thanks, Pavel! I downloaded nconvert.exe from the link you gave, and it seems to work with helpcal.exe.

Next problem: I had already got tif2bsb.exe by downloading libbsb and extracting tif2bsb into the same folder as helpcal, but now helpcal gives the error: 'Tif2bsb NOT OK!' Any ideas?

Also, helpcal creates a file named helpcal.dir, then looks for it in a folder called stuff, which by the way it neglected to create. So I cut and pasted helpcal.dir from the folder with helpcal.exe into a new folder called stuff, and that part appears to work -- but who knows, as helpcal immediately bogs down on tif2bsb.

All this is to use charts from cruising guides in OpenCPN. I haven't tried the program you suggest for using Google Earth -- that's next after I climb the mast and fix our sail furling system.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 05:31   #48

Akka...
What exactly is your workflow? I personally have never even seen helpcal and nowadays most of the people use imgkap instead of tiff2bsb to convert pictures to KAPs. You may also have a look at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1375604 where kind of a tutorial is...

Pavel
Old 14-12-2013, 13:56   #49

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

I'm just an ignorant sailor. I know what a computer is, and even know some other neat words like compiler and interpreter and script. I just switched from Maxsea to OpenCPN, partly because people told me that one could easily take images such as those in cruising guides or Google Earth and register them geodetically, then use those registered images as tiles in OpenCPN.

Well, I guess that depends on what one means by "easily". Based on the advice from cruisersforum I have now downloaded a half-dozen .exe files, a whole library called lbbsb, two interpreters (Visual Basic and something called Rexx, which has put dozens of files all over my disc) and who knows what else? After about 10 hours of work and confusion, I still can't convert a single file.

I just visited the tutorial you suggested. It looks a lot like two other tutorials I tried following in this forum -- intended for programmer types, not for ignorant sailors. Do you advise me to give up on the other methods and download yet another interpreter called Python? Or should I continue to try to get ge2kap working (it doesn't load properly, maybe because of my antivirus software, which is so sophisticated that I can't figure out how to turn it off).

BTW, are you sure all these files are virus-free?

Rob, who is about to go top up the batteries with distilled water, a job he understands
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 14:33   #50

Rob...
Being you, I would simply forget about what you were doing until now - The last version of GE2KAP is AFAIK self-installing. And really is targeting types like you (You sure will get help in http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...kap-43680.html if needed). And yes, I'm pretty sure Paul did not include a virus in it I'm also pretty sure Python is not a virus and neither is OORexx. I'm not sure that all you download from Internet is virus-free though...

Pavel
Old 14-12-2013, 22:04   #51

Boat: 29'

AAka, you've blundered into a restaurant with few customers...

Helpcal is meant to be used in concert with MapCal.
as in;
...MapCal does the mixing of the image with geographic cooords, and plops out a recipe named Chartcal.dir...Next, you start up HelpCal, toss it the Chartcal.dir recipe and IT bakes it into ".kap" files...the which are the files you and Opencpn can enjoy ....

more exactly, HelpCal intercedes with a lingo that tiff2bsb (the actual baker) understands ...as well, Helpcal uses nconvert to knead your image into something tif2bsb can swallow.....
If you think you've almost got it, wake up! f and be aware that MapCal will only work on bmp and png images. so, aha! Helpcal actually changes these to tifs for the benefit of tiff2bsb... yes, it is odd that it will be Back to tifs in your case....

...not to steer you off, but I have heard there is actually a program for a few $ that'll do all this without the bleeding and crying from the kitchen ....naturally neither me, myself,nor I have not used it and can't remember the name, but I recall"Valhalla" here on the forum has ....
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 04:08   #52

GlobalMapper saves to BSB/KAP format
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 06:38   #53

ah, haven't tried that!

BUT I think I rememberthe one Valhalla liked now... "MapC2MapC" there's a trial version too, I think.
Old 15-12-2013, 07:45   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Thanks, Pavel! I downloaded nconvert.exe from the link you gave, and it seems to work with helpcal.exe.

Next problem: I had already got tif2bsb.exe by downloading libbsb and extracting tif2bsb into the same folder as helpcal, but now helpcal gives the error: 'Tif2bsb NOT OK!' Any ideas?
you need mc2bsbh in there also....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post749566

and, I suggest you put the image you are calibrating in here too...so MapCal will put the Chartcal.dir file in there with it... all simpler, to keep this stuff all together, including your finished kap. Just make a desktop shortcut to the folder when you want to use this recipe to make kaps..

Helpcal will do all the charts you have listed in Chartcal.dir....MapCal keeps adding to it! So, either delete it after everykap chart is made, or calibrate a bunch in MapCal before starting Helpcal.

added: especially delete Chartcal.dir if it was a fail!
and MapCal will always give you the useless message when you are done..."MapCalibrations may have changed- are you sure you want to quit?"
That means yes, you want to quit. go figure. There's a subtle variant when things aren't right ..

In mapcal2 ,always activate the grid when you have two points made.
Old 15-12-2013, 08:19   #55

let's see, what else, while I'm here...link to GM2SC post:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post757731
If you have a really nice image but how can you find the required positions??
Google maps, eh?
GM2SC helps you get the positions from Google maps into MapCal2 and saves some tipp-tapping and confusion.... Start your browser, goto google map in the vicinity of the image you are going to calibrate...Now open your image in MapCal2, start GM2SC follow it's direction as in: place an calibration point on your image in mapcal2 with the right-click, find that spot exactly in Googlemaps and follow GM2SC's instruction....the position field will be filled in for you.

Just cancel GM2SC when you've got two or three points...when the grid looks good ( per above posted tip) is what I do....
Old 16-12-2013, 09:00   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdJ View Post
I wrote a little program to directly convert a TIFF image with coordinates in degrees into a KAP map.

See C source and Windows exe in French forum Articles

The source is free and if OpenCPN wants, it can be proposed in a toolbox integrated or not in OpenCPN.

The program is a beta version, bugs as possible.

M'dJ
I like the idea. I searched a while back for a way to convert GeoTIFF's to KAP maps but I gave up because I couldn't find a way to do it.

I went to the link but there's no download there. Is there another location where one can download your program?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 09:25   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I like the idea. I searched a while back for a way to convert GeoTIFF's to KAP maps but I gave up because I couldn't find a way to do it.

I went to the link but there's no download there. Is there another location where one can download your program?

Thanks,
Steve
imgkap - Download

still works (Thanks Dacust for hosting M'dJ's great tool!)

I use this a lot for the Canadian GeoTiffs
Old 16-12-2013, 20:16   #58
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
imgkap - Download

still works (Thanks Dacust for hosting M'dJ's great tool!)

I use this a lot for the Canadian GeoTiffs
Note: That version is from May 2011. MdJ may have a later version. If so, I can either upload the latest to my site, or link to wherever it is.

But, many a person is using that old version successfully.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote