Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2024, 03:22   #226

Re: Dashboard-Tactics (Dash T)

It is probably a problem with my simulation not Dashboard_Tactics. When I use the MVT sentence (no MVA) the layline from the race mark is drawn correctly.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2024, 07:37   #227

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Mike, thank you for those screenshots using shipdriver. I think I need to get more familiar, as it may really help with testing these kinds of plugins.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2024, 07:55   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
Reading back a few pages, it appears the original author deleted the repository (code, docs, releases, etc). rgleason seems to be trying to recover it at, https://github.com/rgleason/dashboard_tactics_pi. But there are no releases there yet. Although part of the original github repository (link in post #1) was saved by archive.org, the installable packages were not.
Cas, to answer some questions. I've been maintaining/distributing Tactics_pi for many years, with Thoma Rauch the original author, who created almost all the original instruments using the Old Dashboard code and extending it for tactics.

Petri's github account has been closed or removed, so has his readthedocs account, but with Pavel's great help I was able to recover and recreate a new account in my name, so we do have the documentation for dashboard_tactics which improves upon the Tactics documentation.

When Petri appeared and took Tactics to a whole new level, checking accuracy, fixing some instruments and bugs, and improving history, etc, he ran all the instruments through quality testing, creating Dashboard_Tactics which includes the Old Dashboard instruments and all the Tactics Instruments.

Petri then back ported all his improvements back into Tactics, working with Thomas. I continued to build the plugin for multiple OS using the Testplugin frontend and deploying the dashboard mnt151 branch, which was the best we could do with the version of wxWidgets we were using. So tactics_pi has the exact same Tactical instruments and code as Dashboard_Tactics, (mnt151-frontend2 branch)

Petri then went ahead and went beyond the Old Dashboard configuration changing the basic program and making a development version which I do have under my "master" branch. This version is for linux and is very advanced, users who can compile and use all the tools provided should give it a try. The code is several years old now, but has some very interesting features.

If a programmer were to refresh and update this version we could probably distribute it now, (however I think we should try to consolidate the Dashboards into one, perhaps a super "DashboardSK".

Right now we are using the mnt151 version for Dashboard_tactics_pi distribution in PIM. I am trying to keep that current and maintained in PIM.

Please see the mnt151-frontend2 branch https://github.com/rgleason/dashboar...t151-frontend2

NOTE: Since then Hakan has improved and developed the internal "Dashboard" instruments to support SK etc. That is why I have used the reference to "Old Dashboard". Someday we would like to take Tactics and Dashboard_Tactics up to the current internal Dashboard level supporting SK etc. but we need capable programmers to do that.

The master branch is the development version and it is not updated to FE2 template and is not distributed in PIM. https://github.com/rgleason/dashboar...pi/tree/master
Old 16-01-2024, 10:14   #229

Boat: Cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsicola View Post
And the instalation? Where is the instalation?

@rgleason,
Thanks for history lesson (truly, meant without sarcasm).

So the answer for pesicola is check the PIM for either Tactics or DashboardTactics which are basically the same now, with respect to the released versions.

And DashboardSK has same function as built in Dashboard, but using Signal K instead of NMEA?

cas
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 08:57   #230

The problem with DT laylines from a mark was because east longitudes were expected. The logic fails with west longitudes. I am working on a fix for this.

Mike
Old 20-01-2024, 03:56   #231

A modified version of ShipDriver for testing tactics plugins is here:
https://cloudsmith.io/~opencpn/repos...lpha/packages/

Install the plugin using the import option.

You need a grib file for the area where you are working. On starting ShipDriver the plugin grib_pi runs. Select your grib file. Set up Dashboard_Tactics and choose a polar file to use. The qtvlm polars are useful for testing purposes.

Add a tactics mark and increase the speed of the vessel slightly. The polar diagram should appear on the chart, with vessel laylines. Mark laylines will only show with east longitude.

I will raise a bug report for the github repo.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ok.east.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	285451   Click image for larger version

Name:	bad.west.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	285452  

Old 21-01-2024, 05:49   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post
@rgleason,
And DashboardSK has same function as built in Dashboard, but using Signal K instead of NMEA?
cas

Yes, but I would suggest that your read what Pavel has written. I am looking forward to the time when all tactics and dashboard functions are consolidated into one super capable plugin that can be flexibly configured by the user. I think that would be DashboardSK or some future version!

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...manual_plugins

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...dsk/index.html
https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/main/nsk/ -dashboardSK companion

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...dashboard.html

https://opencpn-manuals.github.io/ma...ics/index.html

https://dashboard-tactics-pi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Old 21-01-2024, 05:51   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
The problem with DT laylines from a mark was because east longitudes were expected. The logic fails with west longitudes. I am working on a fix for this.

Mike

Thanks for Shipdriver and your work to fix west longitudes. I should learn this useful tool!
Old 22-01-2024, 12:10   #234

Thanks for the answer.
I have the same problem with tactics plugin. The laylines to the tactics waypoint donīt appear. only works for me with dasht. there is an option to make it work on the dashboad tactics 1.7.0 on opencpn??

tank you again.
petsicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2024, 17:14   #235

Good morning, I'm new to this game and I'm not a computer expert, I installed opencpn ver. 5.8.4.0 on windows 11, installed the DashboardTactics 1.7.61.0 plugin, everything works but I'm not able to visualize all the functions concerning Race Start and starting line procedures, I've tried even installing opencpn on Raspberry p4 (opencpn 5.8.4 - DasboardTactics 1.7 .9.0) with same results.
Could someone please explain what's the problem with that and what would be the solution. Thanks so much in advance.
forp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2024, 15:27   #236

@rasbats Mike, I realize now that I never pushed the changes for fixing the west longitude issue to Tactics and DashboardTactics, and I am not sure why. Did we resolve this completely? I've forgotten to be honest.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:31   #237

Rick ...

Only resolved for Tactics.

https://github.com/rgleason/tactics_pi/issues/48

Version 1.0.81.5 was working.

Mike
Old 14-04-2024, 09:29   #238

Hi, Tactics-newbie here. I can’t see any laylines. Also TWA and TWS is not calculated (I can see it in Dashboard, but not in DashT)
Any hints what I’m missing here?
luke austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 16:52   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke austria View Post
Hi, Tactics-newbie here. I can’t see any laylines. Also TWA and TWS is not calculated (I can see it in Dashboard, but not in DashT)
Any hints what I’m missing here?

Where are you located please. I need to update this plugin as per Rasbats changes, due to problems in western hemisphere.

Been very busy with User Manual, will be awhile, sorry.
Old 14-04-2024, 22:34   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Where are you located please.
Western Hemisphere: 43°32.7'N 016°24.1'W
luke austria is offline   Reply With Quote