Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 04:16   #91

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Dashboard-Tactics (Dash T)

I have built Petri's branch mnt151 preparatory to adding Jon's frontend2. I was having some real troubles with startup freezing, and found that starting with a new opencpn.ini solved the problem. So i suspect that the dashboardtactics setting need to be removed from opencpn.ini before moving to this version.

I was in the middle of tasting all the instruments and thought some were not working, but perhaps it is a setting. I need to spend more time on this. The move to plugin manager will have to be carefullly done as the frist try failed. But the first thibg to do is make sure the instruments are all working.

Meanwhile the older version seems to be working.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 08:29   #92

I have built and tested Petri's DashboardTactics_pi, the "mnt151" branch
this branch is also running well, however the opencpn.ini settings for dashboard_tactics should be cleared (removed) before installation of this version of the plugin because some of them have changed from the prior version causing hangups to Opencpn.

I will upload several photo shots of this plugin for review. The next step is to carefuly apply Jon Gough's frontend2 to this plugin so that we get the 12 built environments.

This "mnt151" branch of the plugin will not be developed further but it will provide a very nice unified Dashboard_Tactics instrument interface for those who would like it. The next step for users will likely be to move to Petri's other development branch when it gets released.

Many thanks to Petri (and Thomas) for these treasures. I hope I can get frontend2 working next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (905).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	221520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (906).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	221521  

Old 18-08-2020, 08:47   #93

adding Wind History, etc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (907).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	221524  
Old 18-08-2020, 12:57   #94

Dashboard_Tactics_pi Instructions for branch "mnt151"
Old 19-08-2020, 03:45   #95

I really need the ability to enter corrections for the compass and wind angle
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 07:55   #96

Boat: Nauticat 32
Dashboard-Tactics (Dash T)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post

Doesn’t WMM plug-in do the compass correction for you? At least in terms of magnetic variation. I have it off on my set up as that calculation is done in my MFD (which is also my GPS), which sends corrected compass info across the network to O5.2.

As for the wind angle corrections, I believe that is calculated in the plug-in based on apparent wind readings, heading, STW, etc. I have a calibration issue myself, but that needs to be dealt with at the transducer interface so it’ll be consistent across the network and not something O5.2 needs to handle.

Curious as to what your set up is and what needs to be corrected...
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:53   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarns View Post
Doesn’t WMM plug-in do the compass correction for you? At least in terms of magnetic variation. I have it off on my set up as that calculation is done in my MFD (which is also my GPS), which sends corrected compass info across the network to O5.2.

As for the wind angle corrections, I believe that is calculated in the plug-in based on apparent wind readings, heading, STW, etc. I have a calibration issue myself, but that needs to be dealt with at the transducer interface so it’ll be consistent across the network and not something O5.2 needs to handle.

Curious as to what your set up is and what needs to be corrected...
I do not have an MFD, but only sensors that cannot be configured programmatically, unless you turn the sensor itself.
I have a small magnetic induction in the compass and he rejected the testimony of 7 degrees. It would be nice to be able to be amended for accurate readings. Also ultrasonic wind sensor which is attached to the mast and which from time to time are arranged with a small deviation
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 18:18   #98

If this is a feature request, maybe it should be discussed and considered?
Do you want to enter it into Tracker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Old 20-08-2020, 23:27   #99

Boat: Najad 34

@Baikal @rgleason
Discussion:
The Dash T wind instruments can possible be adjusted for angle offset but that will not affect the inbound Dashboard or neither any NMEA wind messages sent to the autopilot by the Connections settings.
A heading offset would be a mismatch if set only for Dash T instruments. The ship symbol angle and heading prediction line will not be adjusted accordingly.

Better to not feed OCPN with false data, i.e. have it adjusted at the source. For most sensors I suppose there's a way to configure it.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 12:55   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
@Baikal @rgleason
Discussion:
The Dash T wind instruments can possible be adjusted for angle offset but that will not affect the inbound Dashboard or neither any NMEA wind messages sent to the autopilot by the Connections settings.
A heading offset would be a mismatch if set only for Dash T instruments. The ship symbol angle and heading prediction line will not be adjusted accordingly.

Better to not feed OCPN with false data, i.e. have it adjusted at the source. For most sensors I suppose there's a way to configure it.
Dear Hakan, Thank you for your clarification, I can understand why we do not want to confuse things, and have multiple places for angle offsets, as the calibration and adjustments for instruments are normally done at the instrument. I will have to think a little more about your second reason, that the inbound nmea would not be affected.... I guess the angle adjustments would be done after the display of incoming? So that would mean that Baikal's request is "barking up the wrong tree" and should be asking for these angle adjustments to be available in Opencpn interface? --But Opencpn navigation doesn't even need this wind data for example....??? It is a complex subject. Maybe he could try adding those angle adjustments to nmeaconverter, send that stream out to a virtual com port and then send it back somehow to be used? I think this would flood the bus with conflicting info. I have a hard time visualizing this stuff. Maybe use signalK server first before it gets to Opencpn? Maybe signalK has an answer for him?

One user with a fast cat and rotating mast asked Thomas for a mast angle sensor and of course there is no nmea sentence for that, so it would have to be cobbled together with a sentence format like rudder angle using some XDR sentence further confusing users and us. While some of these features might be useful they are more appropriate for the America's Cup crews who have their machines totally wired up with an entirely different kind of network that is not so restricted and has stall and pressure sensors on all air and water foils and certainly has angle of attack sensors all the way up the mast.

Someday that network might make it down to us in a usable form, but it will be years.
Old 24-08-2020, 10:22   #101

In Plugin Manager, we currently have Dashboard-Tactics v1.6.3.0 from Petri's Repository's PR151 Branch plus some augmentation and changes to get it running in Plugin Manager.

I am pleased to advise that Dashboard-Tactics v1.6.6.0 from Petri's Repository's Mnt151 Branch is building locally, and I believe the integration of Plugin Manager is much cleaner. I will be pushing this up to opencpn/plugins this afternoon if everything builds. Here is a screenshot of my brief test using VDRplayer with a Tactics Sample file.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (1).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	221886  
Old 24-08-2020, 11:43   #102

The trusty build failed in a number of places, but the others seem to be building.

Ubuntu Trusty Build example error ambiguous if wxIsNaN

Quote:
/home/circleci/project/src/tactics_pi.cpp: In member function ‘void tactics_pi:oRenderLaylineGLOverlay(wxGLContext*, PlugIn_ViewPort*)’: /home/circleci/project/src/tactics_pi.cpp:1157:21: error: call of overloaded ‘isnan(double&)’ is ambiguous if (wxIsNaN(m_ExpSmcur_tacklinedir)) m_ExpSmcur_tacklinedir = cur_tacklinedir; ^

Mingw Build also fails with familiar errors.

I may just skip fixing these builds if I can't fix it easily.
Old 24-08-2020, 12:15   #103

I believe these errors are due to an earlier version of wxwidgets 3.0-.2 is being used for Mingw and Trusty (click on the red X and pick 'Details" to see the errrors) and I need some kind of a

wx include for the files with the problems.

#if wxCHECK_VERSION(3,1,0)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dashboard_tactics.png
Views:	59
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	221891  
Old 24-08-2020, 13:02   #104

Dashboardtactics v1.6.6.0 has been pushed to opencpn/plugins
Old 29-08-2020, 09:27   #105

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dashboardtactics v1.6.6.0 has been pushed to opencpn/plugins
Some weirdness in 1.6.6.0 on the Mac. It shows up in PI Manager, but when I install it, it doesn't replace the old 1.6 and doesn't load. I tried removing 1.6, figuring it was holding things back, but when I reloaded, I still had 1.6 as active and 1.6.6.0 to be installed...

Steve
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote