Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 10:20   #106

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Dashboard-Tactics (Dash T)

Steve [Scarns] This version is based upon Petri's mnt151 branch as he suggested that would be better, rather than the pr151 branch which the predecessor version used.

I will revisit this plugin again to see if there is some identifiable problem with the macOS version.

Later, actually this is a problem in Windows too. There are two instances,
Dashboard_Tactics 1.6 and DashboardTactics 1.6.6

The version 1.6.6 does not appear to work, but the other one does.
I do believe I used the "common name" for the new version, but perhaps it does not match the previous version because they were different branches.

I am going to mess witth this some more. I might have to rebuild with a new commonname and version..
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 10:51   #107

I am not at all happy with how this installs. I cleaned out all old versions of the plugin from the (windows example)

Cache: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs
Internal Plugins: C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins\cache\tarballs (only external PI)
%localappdata%: C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\opencpn\plugins\dashbo ardtactics_pi
Remove all instances.
Rebooted, started Opencp 5.2 and updated catalog. Found there there were two icons still present Dashboard_tactics and DashboardTactics, and checking both made it work.

I think this is being caused by conflicting common names, so I am going to have to rebuild it with new version and common name.
Old 29-08-2020, 19:21   #108

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Steve [Scarns] This version is based upon Petri's mnt151 branch as he suggested that would be better, rather than the pr151 branch which the predecessor version used.

I will revisit this plugin again to see if there is some identifiable problem with the macOS version.

Later, actually this is a problem in Windows too. There are two instances,
Dashboard_Tactics 1.6 and DashboardTactics 1.6.6

The version 1.6.6 does not appear to work, but the other one does.
I do believe I used the "common name" for the new version, but perhaps it does not match the previous version because they were different branches.

I am going to mess witth this some more. I might have to rebuild with a new commonname and version..

That all makes sense. Same issue I had on the Mac. Let me know when and I’ll reload...
SCarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 06:47   #109

Petri has created an significant Manual for the Beta 2.0 Version of DashboardTactics (which is an entirely new version, different from one available in the Plugin Manager DashboardTactics v1.6.6.0 which is from Petri's "Mnt151" branch).

This manual also has links to downloads for the Beta 2.0 Version.

We have also added a tracker item for "pi - DashT"
Old 16-11-2020, 11:44   #110

Boat: Maltings, Rustler 31, 9.65 m

Quote:
Petri has created an significant Manual for the Beta 2.0 Version of DashboardTactics (which is an entirely new version, different from one available in the Plugin Manager DashboardTactics v1.6.6.0 which is from Petri's "Mnt151" branch).

This manual also has links to downloads for the Beta 2.0 Version.

We have also added a tracker item for "pi - DashT"
When I follow the link and try to download dashboard_tactics_pi-1.99.102-ov52-win32.exe i get a message from the Windows security centre. It says The file contains a thread : Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml detected. Is this a real threat?
deezeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 13:56   #111

This can happen dependent on the path of the download an your isp, so perhaps try another isp or internet connection.
I have absolutely no idea what the anwer to your question is. You should ask Petri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezeeuw View Post
When I follow the link and try to download dashboard_tactics_pi-1.99.102-ov52-win32.exe i get a message from the Windows security centre. It says The file contains a thread : Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml detected. Is this a real threat?
Old 16-11-2020, 14:26   #112

Same here! After recent Defender signature update. Typical NSIS-installer issue, unfortunately (there are scripts inside). I compiled a new version (a few files have changed) and Defender does not complain. It is now in https://github.com/canne/dashboard_t...ov52-win32.exe (I have not tested this one, of course...).

Read also: https://dashboard-tactics-pi.readthe...nspection-(Win) for more options.
Canne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 16:04   #113

Boat: Maltings, Rustler 31, 9.65 m

I was able to download and install the package now. No warning anymore. Thanks
deezeeuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 08:14   #114

Dear Petri,

I found the installation instructions for Windows (very nice and complete! Entire manual is good.) https://dashboard-tactics-pi.readthe...l#Install-(Win)

I tried to install dashboard_tactics_pi-1.99.102-ov52-win32.exe and overrode Defender and it installed in my version OpenCPN 5.2.4+6b314e6 I started 5.4.2 and found version 1.6.6.0 which is an earlier older managed plugin.

The plugin exe etc seems to have landed here C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 5.2.4+6b314e6\OpenCPN

with the "plugins" directory and "share" directory listed next.

I have copied these files back to where they should be, for example
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 5.2.4+6b314e6\plugins for dashbaord_tactics_pi.dll

and the dashboard_tactics_pi\data to here

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 5.2.4+6b314e6\plugins\dashboard_tactics_pi\data

This is working now. If I misdirected the install program somehow, please disregard this. I directed it to C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 5.2.4+6b314e6

My previous settings were over-written when I said to import the previous settings, which is probably due to it being a completely different plugin really.

I got most of the instruments working, after directing to a boat polar, but I think I need to install influxdb to get the special instruments working. I have not installed any of the supplemental programs, but will try.

The boat in the image below is going backwards because of the VDR file being played and the TargetWP selected to be upwind.

It might be really nice to have an OtherBoatWP with corresponding data (perhaps there is some way to determine relative performance with several locations? You could use the AIS overlay to pick the locations... Just an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (43).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	227419  
Old 22-11-2020, 09:15   #115

What are you using to create this manual? It looks like plain html.
https://dashboard-tactics-pi.readthe...l#Install-(Win)

It would integrate well with installation packages because it could almost automatically be part of the git package.
Old 22-11-2020, 10:09   #116

Quote:
...<about installation issues> ...
Hi Rick,

Thank you for your continuous support to the community and for the compliments regarding the DashT v2.0 (beta) documentation. Sorry to hear about your issues which do not surprise me, however:

Here those docs suggest that one should use either the Plug-In Manager or the native OS installer of DashtT. Not both.

DashT v2.0 is not available in the Plug-In manager, let's hope that would be the case in the (not planned) future versions. See the above link for the same. One needs to make the choice does he/she need the new functions of DashT v2.0. If that is the case, the v1.5.111 (or v1.6.6.0 in OpenCPN plugin manager accounting) needs to completely removed before using the Windows (or Debian) installer of v2.0 (beta).

If you want to use only Plug-In manager, you should stick to the OpenCPN's build of DashT, v1.6.6.0 which is basically a port of DashT v1.5.111 in my repo - as you know.

If you install v2.0 with installer on a system with v1.5.111 (or v1.6.6.0 in your accounting) installed with plugin manager, what happens is probably a mess. Anyway, the dashboard_tactics_pi.dll would get overridden and when OpenCPN is ELF-scanning plug-ins, it would get pretty confused, I guess.

However, not everything is lost, since like you observed, the _DashT_ has its own and dedicated namespace in ini/conf-file as it was wished. So nothing is overwritten in your old settings. If you remove everything and reinstall the v1.6.6.0 your configuration, which is using namespace of Dashboard is still there.

However, you are misled to think that InfluxDB is needed somehow to get the instruments working - in the contrary, it is the back-end to store _all_ data received or produced by those instruments for later inspection and processing - if you so wish. It is not mandatory to have an InfluxDB of course. Only instrument (in DashT!) reading back from this fantastic tool is the universal line graph instrument, kinda of a poor man's Grafana... You can safely skip it.

You do not need a polar, either to use DashT for 80% of the instruments. Only the regatta, off-shore race and other performance functions need it. Let's remember that there are also Engine/Energy instruments and certainly the polar file is not useful there...

The documentation you referred to is done in CI/CD process, commits being linked to readthedocs from this directory in the repo. The files (.ipynb) are created using JupyterLab. Readthedocs creates the HTML/EPUB/PDF. In my local development environment I create only the HTML version for sanity check before committing (you can see the batch script in the above folder).

Best regards,

Petri
Old 22-11-2020, 11:52   #117

So when installing your newer versions, the Managed Plugin Version v1.5.111 (aka v1.6.6.0) should be completely removed first.

I believe v1.99.102 is working well and I've created a number of instrument panels, and I see that v1.6.6.0 is still in the catalog and is basically a separate plugin in the PI Manager List. I believe it's dll and subdirectories are located appropriately as intended in:
%localappdata%/opencpn/plugins
OR
C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\opencpn\plugins
while the package installation exe for v1.99.102 still is using the old path
C:\ProgramData\opencpn\plugins
where the included plugins are still located, so it works fine.

As you can tell, I am flexible about how I install plugins, and do not mind using packages. The new system is quite easy to update.

I am going to look at JupyterLab and consider how dokuwiki format would be used.
Old 22-11-2020, 12:05   #118

Quote:
So when installing your newer versions, the Managed Plugin Version v1.5.111 (aka v1.6.6.0) should be completely removed first.<snip>
Kudos for the usage of %localappdata% - then the issue is perhaps that one has two dashboard_tactics_pi.dll for the OpenCPN plugin manager to ponder. I don't know about its preferences but the log file probably tells.

I would still say: remove the other if you want to use the other!
Old 27-06-2021, 01:13   #119

what does it mean?
Thank you
tronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 03:45   #120

You have the Plug-In Manager installed version, right? See #117 above: the Plug-in Manager version does not copy the template JSON-configuration files to the expected location during the post-installation (as expected by the code). But even after that fixed, those functions would not likely work since both Signal K node server and Influx DB v2.0 have moved forward in their production versions since 2019, while the DashT in Plug-In Manager version is stalled to 2019 version, having probably only the intention to join together Dashboard and Tactics instruments; nobody - as far as I know - is maintaining the advanced functions in the Plug-In Manager code base. If you are interested in the two functions you illustrate, they exist in the maintained (so far) code base, check out this documentation - but it is a completely different piece of software now, supporting Grafana, etc. and will not work on older operating systems such as the 32-bit Rasberry and thus incompatible with the Plug-In Manager.