Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 05:45   #1

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
DELORME inReach plugin for OpenCPN

Delorme have recently released their latest gps/satellite product inReach for smartphones. It uses the world-spanning Iridium satellites for 95% coverage and has two way communication for 150 characters of text. The connection between the inReach device and the smartphone is via bluetooth.

I would suggest that a plugin for OpenCPN be created,which connects to the inReach device via bluetooth,giving unprecedented position accuracy across the world with added security. The cost of the inReach is only around $250.- and the 10 minute tracking plan $25.- per month for unlimited tracking points and 25 free messages per month.

The inReach data is displayed on a Delorme map page free of charge to keep family,friends and others informed of your movements.

A challenge for our programers?

P.S. Free apps for iPhone as well as Android are available now.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-07-26-18-03-05.png
Views:	227
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	44035  
Old 27-07-2012, 06:52   #2

Re: DELORME inReach plugin for OpenCPN

I snipped this very interesting article from the internet:

Quote:
Navigation by OpenCPN and Android Phone
Hey all,

I've been searching for a free method of navigation and after several days of work I found a way to use an Android phone as the GPS NMEA source for OpenCPN 2.5.0. To do this, you need a phone and PC with bluetooth capability. To me, buying a chartplotter doesn't make sense because I only sail around Pensacola Bay and I really only want a chartplotter to record routes for my own curiosity.

The general idea is to establish a bluetooth connection between your phone and your PC, turn on the GPS capability in the bluetooth wizard on your PC, download a program to test the NMEA data coming from your phone and once confirmed, set the port that OpenCPN samples data from to match the port that your phone is using through the serial over bluetooth connection. Here's how to do it.

1. Download and install OpenCPN on your PC
2. In the Android Market (now Google Play) via your phone, download the "Bluetooth 2 GPS" app. BT2GPS is a widget that you set on your screen that functions just like the bluetooth or wi-fi on/off buttons. Once you have the widget on your screen, pressing the button will start the program and the bar on the button will turn green(or yellow?).
3. Pair your phone and your PC. To do this,in the command tray on your PC click the bluetooth icon to open the Bluetooth Devices wizard. Find the Bluetooth menu on your phone, turn bluetooth on, and turn on the discoverability feature to allow your PC to discover your phone. Once you turn on discoverability on your phone, turn back to your PC and in the Bluetooth Devices wizard click "Add". Follow the onscreen prompts to pair and connect your phone and your PC.
4. Once they're paired, in the Bluetooth Devices wizard, click your device once and then click "Properties". Click the "Services" tab and at the bottom of the list you should see a checkbox that says something about GPS, or "Serial port (SPP) 'Serial Port'". Ensure that box is checked and click OK. Next, click the "COM Ports" tab. This will display which com port your GPS data is coming in through. It might seem counter-intuitive but NMEA data will come into your computer via the "Outgoing" port. Remember the outgoing port number.
5. Open OpenCPN and click the "Toolbox" button. Click the GPS tab and in the "NMEA Data Source" box type the port name you found in step 4. For me I entered "COM6". Select 4800 as the Baud Rate and check the box that says "Show GPS/NMEA data stream". When you click OK you should see the box pop up with the NMEA data streaming, and the map should center on your location with a red boat.

You're in business now. Put your laptop in your boat, keep your phone in your pocket, and let the good times roll without spending the $32 on a bluetooth reciever. OR...Buy a $120 tablet PC at walmart, install OpenCPN etc, rig up a docking station on your bulkhead and you've got an inexpensive and fairly accurate nav tool for your daysailer.

Enjoy,
Matt

Tore
Old 27-07-2012, 13:54   #3

Re: DELORME inReach plugin for OpenCPN

Here is a chance to do a pre-study of the inReach user manual for the various smartphone types supported.

http://files.delorme.com/manuals/InR...ser_Manual.pdf

NOAA maritime charts are available for all of the USA.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ScreenHunter_193 Jul. 27 16.15.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	44058   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_194 Jul. 27 16.16.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	44059