Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2018, 02:26   #31

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
Re: Echosounder mapping own map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
It can already do that:

It needs some kind scale displayed so that the colours are meaningful and preferably colours could be assigned to a depth range by the user.

There also needs to be a way of minimizing the Survey dialogue window.
How did you get it to display the depth colors for the survey track?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 02:29   #32
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
I will tell you how a hydrograph works with professional hydrographic software and as a C-MAP partner.

All public projects to collect depths do not work! They became extinct after the opportunity appeared to make personal depth maps in their chartplotter.
The big problem is that the incoming data have large errors due to the high level of the measurement, the chaotic lines, the lack of popping on the water level.
In most cases, the data came only from the passage of a navigable passage, no one intentionally will not squarely measure the specific territory.
In particular, those who make a detailed measurement of the territory do not want to publish data for open access. C-MAP Genesis. Navionics SonarChart. Basically it's Fishermen. Large data sets are set only by those who are sponsored by Navionics and C-MAP.

Now the plugin is completely self-contained, it is quite suitable for collecting hydrographic data. Thanks to Rasbats for the added functionality.

From the wishes, the possibility of building bathymetry in real time and in manual on the basis of the measured data. There are many examples.

If you need help in understanding what you need with joy, I will help
I agree with all of the above.

However let me share a different perspective.

I sometimes (in the past regularly) sail in areas with virtually no charted detail. I and a few colleagues used to use some software called "Dr Depth" to record out sounder data and build up bottom profiles for anchorages that we often used and for surveying an new anchorage. Before we had doctor depth we would pencil sketch the anchorage and then drive around in the yacht penciling in the soundings and then fill in the areas that we were not brave enough to venture into using a hand-line from the tender.

DR Depth was bought up by one of the giants and there really is no economically alternative.

I don't want to, or advocate, the free sharing of this data but it is very useful to those of us who go off the beaten track and want to find our way back to the same spot or to gain a better understanding of the seabed profile where we are. Absolute depths do not matter to us but the shape does.

That is why I am quite excited by the potential of this plugin.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 02:32   #33
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
How did you get it to display the depth colors for the survey track?
Here are my preferences settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	survey settings.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	168031  
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 03:04   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Here are my preferences settings.
Awesome, that did it!
Old 13-04-2018, 03:09   #35

Quote:
It needs some kind scale displayed so that the colours are meaningful and preferably colours could be assigned to a depth range by the user.
Agreed. That plus maybe the ability to scale the size of the circles, or have the size scale larger as you zoom in to the map.

I can see already I'm going to love this plugin!
Old 13-04-2018, 05:30   #36

I also use DrD to this day.
It is possible to activate the 5 version. in a PM

In the long term, a function of constructing a TIN model in real time or on demand with a cross section of isobaths through a given distance is needed.
You also need the ability to customize the color fills in the range from and to
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 08:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Teppo,

perhaps you should have shown the complete screen, especially the disclaimer on top - which is very justified.

The pic was there only to illustrate the ’colored tracks’ concept, not crowdsourcing or using the data for primary navigation. The earlier O screen capture only had the sample values.

Personally I would use this for anchorages and ’known good paths’ in poorly charted areas. Not really practical for figuring out where the dangers are!
teppokurki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 10:41   #38

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Echosounder mapping own map

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
I'm very skeptical about crowd sourced soundings as there is no way to know how these data have been recorded, calibrated and corrected.

I’m a huge contributor to the navionics sonar charts and I generally find they are much more accurate after processing than comparable native charts.

You are never really sure why a chart recording has been rejected but I would say a good 35-40% of mine are. Sometimes the data set is too small or maybe it doesn’t line up with other folks recordings.

If you look at the sonar charts as just one more arrow in your quiver rather than the final say, it’s much more useful. In areas where there is likely a lot of boat traffic, like the east coast ICW, they are very accurate. There are times where the system stitches together adjoining readings inefficiently or just plain wrong... like when there is a quay and you record both sides of the quay.

For the mothership we use Garmin sonar recording. For an anchorage we are interested we will drive around the anchorage and record the terrain before dropping anchor. Then we use the boundary features to make sure we don’t drag anchor and to mark off no go areas.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 19:26   #39

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I want to build a 7ft sailing trimaran to autonomously or remote control survey around anchorages. I have the kevlar hull already.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 02:02   #40

@boat_alexandra - where did you find your hulls? I'm interested in building an autonomous boat also.
Old 21-04-2018, 06:53   #41

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

It's a child kayak. Weight is 4 kg. Maybe not perfect but it's what I have.

It wouldn't be difficult to power with batteries, but I think a fixed wing sail is more interesting.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 07:15   #42

Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote