Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 08:25   #1891

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Feature Requests

I think we should make preserve chart scale when switching charts enabled by default from a clean install.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 05:04   #1892

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Short handed MOB

I have a feature request to improve MOB handling:

We do only shorthanded cruises and the dangers of MOB while the off-watch partner is sleeping somewhat bothers me. Imagine a situation like the one pete Hill faced.

I think something like a Raymarine Lifetag would at least help in these situations as even if it still goes unnoticed for some time one could see where the MOB happened.

My idea is the following:
Many / most current computers have bluetooth capabilities. Why not connect the PC to a BT device and check periodically if the connection is alive. If its dead for longer than xy seconds we assume a MOB situation, place a marker and sound an alarm. Maybe also change the AP heading into the wind or run in circles around the MOB position if under engine but this needs to be configurable as this could be dangerous for the boat and the crew.

The device could be any device, like a smartphone or maybe just a cheap BT headset (these start around 5 USD on ebay so I don't care if they are not waterproof).

I know one has to live with sporadic false alarms due to lost connections, dead headset batteries, interference, etc. Of course this can only work for smaller fibreglass or wooden boats as BT range is limited. But I guess this is a good portion of the OpenCPN installations out there. I tried it on our Mahe 36 catamaran and there is full BT coverage everywhere with the PC installed at the nav station.

what do you think?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 05:15   #1893

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Short handed MOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
what do you think?
Why make it so complicated? Simply use the dead-man alarm of the watchdog_pi plugin.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 06:51   #1894

Re: Short handed MOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Why make it so complicated? Simply use the dead-man alarm of the watchdog_pi plugin.

Gerhard
Deadman is a manual workaround but not an automated solution.
Old 29-11-2015, 12:47   #1895

rabbi,

I like your idea, but I don't know if the bluetooth headset can work for this or is the best device to use. Maybe it is possible however with any bluetooth device, but even then it would take a while to notice it is missing. I can experiment with this and make it working under linux with the watchdog plugin but I don't think it will work on any other OS.

bluetooth is cheap but not ideal for this. Instead we would like to have something which just transmits a gps location and works over a longer range than bluetooth. This allows you to find the person in the dark or difficult conditions.

For myself I don't need to worry about it as I am alone.
Old 29-11-2015, 15:05   #1896

Boat: Island Packet 40

rabi,

I like it, loop back on the loss of Bluetooth or wifi signal. Drop a mark on the chart display or for single handers have something connected to an engine kill solenoid or full on rudder via the autopilot. Bluetooth and wifi are both cheap and multiple units on ones belt for redundancy could provide a reliable signal. Good project for the electronic DIYers amongst us.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 15:51   #1897

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Rabbi and RaymondR,
Please make an Opencpn Feature Request in Tracker.
First register here OpenCPN::Tracker Register new user
Then login and add a feature request, with sufficient detail to understand.
Thanks
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 16:19   #1898

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
rabbi,

I like your idea, but I don't know if the bluetooth headset can work for this or is the best device to use. Maybe it is possible however with any bluetooth device, but even then it would take a while to notice it is missing. I can experiment with this and make it working under linux with the watchdog plugin but I don't think it will work on any other OS.

bluetooth is cheap but not ideal for this. Instead we would like to have something which just transmits a gps location and works over a longer range than bluetooth. This allows you to find the person in the dark or difficult conditions.

For myself I don't need to worry about it as I am alone.
This BT idea is just to automatically record a MOB position and ring an alarm. It's not for homing in on the person lost.

Headset should be OK just as any other device. The good about headsets is they are dead cheap, easily available and have a good battery life.
If we can get an alarm within a minute or so it should be good enough. Quicker is better of course.

Something with GPS and longer range will be much more expensive . We have a handheld vhf with dsc for this but its not an automatic alarm and has a battery life of just a few hours. Also I have no idea what OpenCPN will do if it receives a dsc distress call. Will it record the distress VHF position or also the ship's position?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:48   #1899

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I bought some of these devices that do pretty well what you're looking for (that's why I bought them!)

The BT master device records the position it was at when contact is lost with a slave and sounds an alarm. My phone handles five devices without problem apart from occasional false alarms when BT contact is dodgy. I have yet to try them with my on-board PC as it needs an Android emulator to run the app.

Of course it's still a standalone system and doesn't integrate with OpenCPN yet.
hoolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:05   #1900

Yes! These items are even better then headsets.
Now just integrate it into opencpn
Old 03-12-2015, 07:33   #1901
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

These devices are known as BT beacons.
There are a lot for iOS and Android from the shelf.

There does exist at least one generic library for Windows and there should be as well something for Linux. Remember that you will need a BT device/chip set which supports the low power beacon mode.

Happy tinkering!
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:22   #1902

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Should support of BT beacons become a tracker request. I would not know how to write it. Some involved should do this.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 23:46   #1903

why does it need to integrate with opencpn?
Old 03-12-2015, 23:50   #1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
I bought some of these devices that do pretty well what you're looking for (that's why I bought them!)
I like the translation from chinese but not sure I fully understand it.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:06   #1905

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I like the translation from chinese but not sure I fully understand it.
Me neither, but the Android app is clearer and they're easy to set up and use in practice.
hoolie is online now   Reply With Quote