Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 04:21   #1966

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Extend Chart Downloader to use S63 Charts

Extend Chart downloader for S63 (download, install & upgrade of purchased S63 charts.

This is a good idea, but is a tall order for a tool intended originally for intricacies of download and update of free RNC & BSB charts worldwide, including NOAA. I am sure Pavel or Dan will comment.

Perhaps O-chart or some other entity could develop a special S-63 plugin that extends the opensource Chart Downloader code to handle only S-63 charts and permits? I think that would be a much simpler, and reliable approach, and it could have a "S-63 Downloader" tab under Options > Charts right next to "Chart Downloader".

I think the tools to handle permits will perhaps need to be separated, from the S-63 Downloader and updater, and perhaps might be a completely separate "Permits" plugin, as that is particularly sensitive.

It will be interesting to read other comments.

Quote:
Automatically install new charts and install of renewed install permits.
also to handle all imports of already purchased Cell permits and "import charts/updates" who today is listed under " Chart cells" in today’s S63 plugin. (not purchase the charts or keys/permits).

For example, if you purchase charts from chartworld, all charts and permits is made available from a direct download link..(subject to that keys/permits is correctly installed up front) handle all install, update, extension and renewal of purchased S63 charts, just the same way and just as easy as done today with NOAA charts.

..S63 Charts visible in the Chartdownloader chart catalogue and can be updated together with and the same way as other sources in the chartdownloader dialogue window.

If this feature is implemented, for example installing Navionics S63 charts from chartworld will be a smooth ride for most users. Navionics
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 04:50   #1967

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Feature Requests

Just a thought is there a way we could use Logbook. For example by tagging an entry as an anchorage. It could include a detailed description (possible pictures?) and some ID information of the user to validate the data. It would by default include all the relevant position info and a date. Because the data was in effect real then the quality would be pretty good and it would minimise or eliminate "advertising" type entries.

The "anchorages" would need to be extracted and there would need to be some mechanism to transmit the data (but that could be handled by something as simple as Dropbox). There would also need to be a database engine to index and access the data, but since it would originate from within Logbook the tags would be there already.

Any mileage in something like this?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:04   #1968

Tupaia, I think that's a good idea ...use Logbook to record when offline, then upload your POI to Squiddio when you have internet.

On my last check of Squiddio, to register a destination, you must first login to your internet account over the internet.

We would need a way of storing POI and then logging into Squiddio and uploading the selected POI when within Internet Range.

I just emailed Mauro Calvi this post.
Old 18-04-2016, 05:14   #1969

Regarding new data type requests:
OpenstreetMap -MapTiles & JOSM
Navionics Plugin
S-63 Chartdownloader (extension)
SaSPlanet read directly
and perhaps add to that
Grib2 being worked on.
Weatherfax being able to save lat/long Kap files.
The list gets pretty long.
See Tracker Items under Chart New
http://willkamp.com/opencpn/flyspray...=asc&pagenum=3
Old 18-04-2016, 10:38   #1970
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

On my last check of Squiddio, to register a destination, you must first login to your internet account over the internet
You are correct: submitting destinations requires logging into squiddio.

Submitting POIs in squiddio should be doable. We could use the same authentication mechanism currently used by squiddio_pi to send log reports (using your squiddio account as ID and an API key).

Quote:
We would need a way of storing POI and then logging into Squiddio and uploading the selected POI when within Internet Range.
Right. Perhaps a button in the squiddio plugin UI that says "upload your POIs to squiddio" or similar. The button would be grayed out unless user has valid credentials and there are new POIs since the last update.

I am thinking the plugin would simply read some text file, parse it and upload the POIs in batch, then delete the file to signal .

If you think this is a viable approach, I may need some help in parsing the file in squiddio_pi. I can take care of the posting and authentication
coupdemistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 11:26   #1971
Marine Service Provider

PS: come to think of it, if the POI file is a JSON file there would be no parsing needed in the plugin. We could just upload the file in one go as JSON body to the post and the parsing can take place on the squiddio server.
Old 18-04-2016, 14:56   #1972

This sounds great, and it would allow extemporaneous entries with uploads later when connected. I think it might build the poi db faster. Thank you!
Old 18-04-2016, 15:08   #1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Dwoodall wrote:
"Squiddio appearing to be a non-starter, we need some way to gather open sourced POI information."
Please explain what you mean. Have you tried it? It has a very good interface and covers many areas. Why not use it?

JOSM - OpenStreetMap Wiki
https://www.mapbox.com/blog/making-the-most-josm/

Not so sure integration of a Java 7 based editor of openstreetmap is a good idea for security reasons. maybe there is a different tool that could be used.
Hi,

Yes, I have used squiddio. My comment has nothing to do with the interface. My comment has to do with the rather sparse nature of what is actually available in squiddio. Compared to Active Captain, it is rather devoid of useful data.

Regards,
Doug
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 15:12   #1974

I would use and contribute to squiddio, not denigrate it, and acknowledge that it has a good website and plugin, and ask others to join and contribute.
Soon you'll have and ample db.

What is worse than too little information? ... too much.
Old 19-04-2016, 16:20   #1975
Marine Service Provider

@rgleason
perhaps someone (the owner of Logbook?) could take a stab at defining the format and location of the JSON file to be uploaded to squiddio? What squiddio would require, at a minimum, would be the POI's coordinates, name, category (marina, anchorage, dock etc.). Optionally: description, one or more tags (as key-value pairs such as "guest berths": 12), address, phone number, email address etc. Once we have that I can start the work on the plugin.
Old 19-04-2016, 17:42   #1976

Would like to see an indication of the poster being the "OP" throughout the particular thread, saving switching back to page one of the thread to find out if a response is being directed to the original poster.

Thanks for your consideration.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 11:57   #1977

Boat: Valiant 42

I would be willing to look into S-63 integration for chart downloader. However, I have no license and don't want to spend a lot of money for volunteer work. How much does it cost to get a key for all the S-63 chart sets?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 11:59   #1978

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
Would like to see an indication of the poster being the "OP" throughout the particular thread, saving switching back to page one of the thread to find out if a response is being directed to the original poster.

Thanks for your consideration.

I think you are in the wrong section. This is feature discussions about OpenCPN not about the forum thread software. You should have a look at the various topics at the top of the forum and find one for help and feature requests for the forum software. Probably no one reading this thread works on that software.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 12:56   #1979
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I would be willing to look into S-63 integration for chart downloader. However, I have no license and don't want to spend a lot of money for volunteer work. How much does it cost to get a key for all the S-63 chart sets?
Dan...

something like "all the S-63 sets" would cost a some 5 digit bill - and does not make sense.
There is nothing like the S-63 repository.

Remember: one has a S-63 UserPermit and then approaches the different chart suppliers - called VARs (Value Added Resellers) to license several cells called chart sets which will be delivered in the S-63 exchange set format.

The "how" of delivery will be different from VAR to VAR. The form of delivery update sets as well.
And the VARs do cover overlapping zones from the same Hydrographic Offices.
So one method to "download S-63 charts" can't exist.

If you want to see how the exchange sets are structured, just look at the S-64 test sets as referenced in the OCPN manual.
More information in the S-63 and S-57 standard as published from the IHO

And drop us a mail if you like to see how we can support you in this with plain S-63 chart material.

Hubert

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 03:14   #1980

Regatta setting for Dashboard 1.2

would like to encourage development of possibility to show additional measures specific to regatta racing in dashboard 1.2
- assuming that polars are enabled

%boatspeed to polar
%vmc to polar

others having more "regatta" requirements ?
skipperearly is offline   Reply With Quote